SilentWolf

[COR - FB] Founding a Colony

Backstory

During the three months that Sergeant Anthony Bolton and his platoon of militia have been on the island they have been working on preparing the land for a new settlement. The WETEC partners had chosen a good location to found the new settlement and promised to send some settlers and more supplies to the area. Sergeant Bolton and his men were responsible for building some residences in the area as well as a dock for small boats. Since there are no great harbors on the island, all the ships have to anchor out and tender supplies and people in. Thus the dock needed was suitable for small vessels and rowboats.

Today, May 20, 616, the Alexander has pulled into harbor with the first true settlers to the island straight from Wolfhaven. The Flying Colt was believed to be only a few days behind with more settlers from Belson. Among the ones arriving today was the family of Oliver Sudworth who is a widower. He formerly raised cattle on land he was renting in Wolfhaven. He has come to this new settlement so that he might have his own land for his own cattle. He is accompanied by his children. The eldest, Craig, is married to a redhead named Bridget. The second born is his daughter, Laurel. The youngest son is named Gabriel.

Along with the settlers and supplies, the Alexander also brings word that Her Majesty has given an official charter to WETEC to found a settlement on this island that shall henceforth be called Lacryma. The WETEC has written up a charter for the settlement including rules of government and naming it, Elizabethville. (The company had settled on this name since two of the partners had the name among there heritage, and Micah of course finds it the best name for everything.)

26859628360_3699d3cb1f_z.jpg

26859618010_7f224a2c37_c.jpg

27065447151_f2c84ce25e_c.jpg

27039080742_ba0d532d3a_c.jpg

27065430831_41f59606ef_c.jpg

Edited by SilentWolf

Very nice use of cheese slopes for the walls! If you could have tiled the dock I think that would have set it apart better as man-made, but the crab underneath was a great little addition! :thumbup:

Nice build, SW, the house is neat, and your use of masonry bricks looks quite good as well, although it does rather give the impression of a more established settlement. That flagpole and flag for some reason just look excellent, and, although, as Kai mentioned, the build could use some more tiles, overall you've done a very good job! :thumbup:

Great cheese slope siding on the little building, and I like the hustle and bustle you achieved with all the figs involved in various activities pirate_classic.gif

That's a great scene, where I especially love the littie cottage. Great wall

I believe this is my favourite build of yours so far. I too like the walls of the house, and all the life you have achieved on the docks. The story is very nice too, and I am looking forward to following it further.

That you have followed the description of the island and used it as a story hook for the tenders and anchorage part - very realistic.

Great work, and I hope to see Elizabethville grow over time. Hopefully, I will also be able to add my own efforts to the town. pirate_blush.gif

Very nice building technique, flagpole (and the custom flag) and figbarf (i always love figbarfing pirate_classic.gif ). Oh, and a cow. I am really a cow-lover (in the good sense of the word). If only it also had a monkey too pir_laugh2.gifpir_laugh2.gif.

I, too, vote on tiling the pier!

Very nice use of cheese slopes for the walls! If you could have tiled the dock I think that would have set it apart better as man-made, but the crab underneath was a great little addition! :thumbup:

Thank you for complementing the walls. I was trying to improve on my previous attempt at panel siding. I do think this turned out much better and it also enabled me to avoid the issue with not having enough white bricks with the front facing attachment to put the siding on.

I agree that the dock would have looked much better tiled. However, it shall have to be as it is until I can buy brown tiles as I only have a couple in brown. That is on my list as the next thing to buy from bricklink.

Oh, I like that paneled wall, and touches of color.

In addition to improving the wall of a paneled house I wanted it to avoid being completely white. The color definitely aided that and the windows created a more dynamic wall.

Nice build, SW, the house is neat, and your use of masonry bricks looks quite good as well, although it does rather give the impression of a more established settlement. That flagpole and flag for some reason just look excellent, and, although, as Kai mentioned, the build could use some more tiles, overall you've done a very good job! :thumbup:

Thank you very much. I hadn't even thought about the fact that brick would seem too established until you mentioned it. I shall have to pay attention to that in future builds.

Great cheese slope siding on the little building, and I like the hustle and bustle you achieved with all the figs involved in various activities pirate_classic.gif

Thank you!

Nice scene, nice wall.

Custom flag?

Fine build!

Yes, that is my custom flag. It is the official flag of Wolf's Equine Trading and Expedition Company (WETEC). I have to keep bouncing it around between builds as I only have one so far and the ships also like flying it.

That's a great scene, where I especially love the littie cottage. Great wall

Thank you!

I believe this is my favourite build of yours so far. I too like the walls of the house, and all the life you have achieved on the docks. The story is very nice too, and I am looking forward to following it further.

That you have followed the description of the island and used it as a story hook for the tenders and anchorage part - very realistic.

Great work, and I hope to see Elizabethville grow over time. Hopefully, I will also be able to add my own efforts to the town. pirate_blush.gif

Thank you! I was trying to avoid a planting the flag on the beach scene since others have beaten me to that. I knew I couldn't sail my ships into dock so I decided to opt for a tendering dock instead. I am glad every likes the way it turned out.

Very nice building technique, flagpole (and the custom flag) and figbarf (i always love figbarfing pirate_classic.gif ). Oh, and a cow. I am really a cow-lover (in the good sense of the word). If only it also had a monkey too pir_laugh2.gifpir_laugh2.gif.

I, too, vote on tiling the pier!

The flagpole was a fun change. I normally go with the normal Lego pole, but I wanted something a little more realistic to a flagpole where the flag is lowered and raised. I definitely enjoyed using so many minifigures. They all had something to do so I felt I didn't over use them, but I was trying to think up ways to include more. I love the Lego cows and regret not having gotten more when they first came out. I hope they do more builds with them in the future so I can acquire more. I don't think the monkey really fits into this build. Though you should watch for my upcoming build as it includes a few monkeys.