Paul Boratko

Has anyone here ever seen or built these amazing models..?

Absolutely no offense guys, I am also glad to see such things, but still feels like bending the rules of EB...

I don't want to play moderator, and why not share such finds, but maybe in this topic?

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=101400

The Marble machine has literally technic pieces built-in (and still genious), that makes already some difference.

Absolutely no offense guys, I am also glad to see such things, but still feels like bending the rules of EB...

I don't want to play moderator, and why not share such finds, but maybe in this topic?

http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=101400

The Marble machine has literally technic pieces built-in (and still genious), that makes already some difference.

You're right, he could have posted about them there, but If he did, I would have never known about them because I rarely if ever view it. There are already plenty threads here involving non Lego 3rd Party parts that are left alone, so I don't see this one thread about these slick machines hurting anything. I am actually curious if anyone can produce a Technic model in the same fashion as these wooden models are designed. :classic:

In that relation it would be very interesting. Than for future: maybe set up a Brainstorming topic?

So I bought the Grand Prix.  Having lots of fun building it.  Here are a couple of thoughts:

- The engine is spectacular.  Nearly the size of Lego Technic engines (slightly bigger) it is even more intricate.... and it is made out of wood!  I can't believe the 8 cylinder engine also comes with the 16 valves.  Makes me think that it is about time for TLG to redo their molds for the engines of Technic models.  I mean, if this Co. can make the 16 valves out of wood then I think it doable. 

The whole model is pretty intricate.  Excellent quality.  I will be posting a video with the whole drive train, steering and other functions once I am all done with it. 

One thing of notice however, is that on the website it recommends the ages to be 14 and above.  This seems a little too broad, for the varying complexities of the models they offer is vast.  But I will say this, I don't think that most 14 year old could EVER put this thing together.  It is more than a follow-the-instructions assembly model like Lego is, there is some deciding and deductive reasoning that has to be involved as well. Don't even think about trying to build it without sandpaper, a utility knife, and a variety of other tools.  Though I found the lazer-cut wood pieces pretty accurate, but they do need to be cut from their wood sheets which definitely introduces a safety concern.  Lastly, just the motor skills needed to assemble this were far more than anything else I have done.  I have built RC cars, 1000-dollar crane models, and nearly every Technic Flagship for the past 8 years, tons of MOCs, and this is by far the most complicated and difficult model I have put together.  But very rewarding and fun.....

On 5/21/2016 at 3:41 PM, agrof said:

Sometimes rules can be bent, thats why they exist!... this thread is welcomed by all, so its cool, right?! Its cost me £46 cos i've just bought the safe, but apart from personal financial losses, its a good addition to the forum.

This will be my last post on these models.... as mentioned earlier I was still working on one.  I promise I am also still building Lego.... in fact I hope to have a project done soon. 

Previously I did a video of the very-detailed engine for this model.  Here is a video showing the features and the drive train.  

Ultimately, very fun to build, but also very complicated and had a lot of unnecessary friction in it.  A lot of surface-to-surface contact for the gears and many cog gears with sharp edges used.  Not something you want for a smooth-flowing drive train.

But ultimately these are products I would recommend.  I actually see them much like Lego Technic and here is the reason.  Like Lego Technic for most (not all) adult fans, stock sets aren't much of anything (IMO).  Not only are they for assembly, but also for improvement and MOCing.  I think my review of the Grand Prix car above is like 42056.  Its not really functional right out of the box! :laugh:  It is not simply an "assembly" build.... but more of an assembly-test-modify build.  Much more sanding and adapting pieces than the instructions would let on.  42056 was kinda the same, assemble-test-modify build.  In that, there is a lot of enjoyment.  If you are simply looking for an assemble, watch it work, and leave it kinda thing then I would say this set is not for you.  

I also think the Company might be understanding this.  I just bought the jewelry box for my daughter and we will assemble it together.  But it came with sand paper where my Grand Prix did not. 

Lastly, the wood is easily stained or painted (good thing).  So, one can really modify these sets to their liking.  If you last all the way to the end of the video, you will see I stained the exhaust pipes - and I like the look.  Might take the model apart and do the same with other parts as well. 

Edited by nerdsforprez

Thanks for the awesome video. Lots of details which makes me want to get one of these. I bought the safe when it first came out...a very fun build!

Because the initial thread created for Ugears was somewhat controversial, I won't create a new thread.  But, I found these models today:

https://timeformachine.com/

Oh boy - have to admit, they really look cool.  I will likely get some.  Pretty much the same idea of Ugears, just in metal not wood.  As can be seen above, I am a big fan of Ugears. 

Fun projects that provide an analog for Lego.  I see no problem in pointing them out.  In fact, I am sure there are some models that can provide inspiration for Lego models or at least solutions to some problems being grappled with on how to create something in Technic....