Jim

[PRESS RELEASE] Announcing 10253 Big Ben

10253 Big Ben

Ages 16+. 4,163 pieces.

US $249.99 - CA $299.99 - DE 219.99€ - UK £169.99 - DK 1999.00 DKK

*Euro pricing varies by country. Please visit shop.LEGO.com for regional pricing.

Build the world’s best-known clock tower!

Get up close to Big Ben! The clock was first started on May 31st 1859, and Big Ben’s first chime rang from the 96-meter Elizabeth Tower on July 11th of the same year. This over 23” (60cm) high LEGO® interpretation of the iconic structure is a tribute to its engineering and architecture. It features a detailed facade with statues, shields and windows, and a clock tower with 4 adjustable clock dials and a removable roof allowing access to the belfry, plus buildable exterior elements including a sidewalk, lawn and a tree depicting the building’s location. This model makes a great display piece for the home or office.

• Big Ben features a detailed section of the Westminster Palace and the adjoining Elizabeth Tower, 4 detailed clock dials with movable hour and minutes hands, and a sidewalk, tree and grass area depicting the building’s location.

• Remove the top of the tower to access the Big Ben bell.

• Put your LEGO® building skills to the test!

• Special elements include 4 printed clock faces.

• Rare elements include ski poles, flowers and corner plates in molded gold color, and tinted-translucent elements.

• This set includes over 4,000 LEGO® pieces.

• This set offers an age-appropriate building experience for ages 16+.

• Big Ben measures over 23” (60cm) high, 17” (44cm) wide and 7” (20cm) deep.

Available for sale directly through LEGO® beginning July 1, 2016.

10253_Prod.jpg

10253_Box1_in.jpg

10253_Box5_in.jpg

10253_Box2_in.jpg

10253_Box3_in.jpg

10253_Box4_in.jpg

Available for sale directly through LEGO® beginning

July 1, 2016 via shop.LEGO.com, LEGO® Stores or via phone:

US Contact Center 1-800-453-4652

CA (English) Contact Center 1-800-453-4652

CA (French) Contact Center 1-877-518-5346

European Contact Center 00-800-5346-1111

27161871336_f676b3c218_c.jpg

26920299070_f31e406ff7_c.jpg

27161870276_125c982308_c.jpg

27195213285_bcdd609727_c.jpg

27195212125_82207b49ae_c.jpg

27126310321_d49fea86b7_c.jpg

27126309491_d99112a9d4_c.jpg

27161869276_307f8b5611_c.jpg

27126308301_43f0c15cef_c.jpg

27126318281_0f63079008_c.jpg

27126316241_8b05ec68e4_c.jpg

26920300580_8eecee23d4_c.jpg

27161870786_3f6c1b939e_c.jpg

27126314971_2b482f2e33_c.jpg

27161870446_256584a317_c.jpg

I hope LEGO uses those clock pieces in next year's modular set.

It's nice and tan...

What's up with the tools?

It looks like lego used the closed wrenches for the hands of the clock, and since all of those tools come on a sprue together, there are a lot of leftovers.

Nice, but wow so much tan....

I am still working on getting wok village and sand crawler so this will have to wait, also have to clear this up with the wife...

That's a very decent price for £169.99, and I have to admit I didn't expect Westminster Palace to come with it. Definitely a set worth picking up.

This is a very cool set... I have some thoughts about it and am not sure if anyone else is (yet), or maybe I can spark some ideas flowing... This looks like a set that might be good for buying multiples of just for the piece count, though many are very small pieces. Here are some ideas I had for this in terms of customizing it: Can the clock be made to be an actual clock? I don't see this as a possibility without ripping out the ornate clock faces that they provided and replacing each with a real clock, but it's something to think about, as this set would make an EXCELLENT desk clock. Also, how about adding a sound module that plays the Big Ben chimes? I think that would be an easier modification than the real clocks, but if tied to real clocks, would be pretty impressive! Just a few preliminary ideas about this set... This might make me actually open up my Tower Bridge to display instead of having it sit in storage haha!

I've added the designer video:

I find comments about the repetitiveness of a build to be a little strange. Of course it's going to be repetitive. It's representing a real building. If it wasn't somewhat repetitive, it would look ridiculous.

This is such a nice set with a fantastic price! Will be getting this one on day 1.

It looks like lego used the closed wrenches for the hands of the clock, and since all of those tools come on a sprue together, there are a lot of leftovers.

Or it is some kind of play function :grin: .

Repair the clock, like they are repairing it in nowadays!

The way the clock hands are designed and function is pretty brilliant. The two tool pieces are attached to what is probably a single 3m technic bar with stud (both inside and outside the stud, using the socket wrench and closed wrench). The four of those probably have a small gear which is turned by a larger central gear laid flat. A pretty simple solution, but I know I would never have come across it. This is why we love Jamie's designs so much!

Now I have to see if I can find a spare $250 lying around somewhere :hmpf:

I think it could be adapted, though, to make it into a real functioning clock, but it would be pretty difficult without modding pieces, and definitely affect the look.

Edited by rodiziorobs

Looks like a great set and the pricepoint is also very good. Will definitly pick this one up. I guess the Operah House is near EOL?

Oh gosh, it's great. The price is expensive but the PpP is good enough to dangerously tempt me into getting it ! :look::grin: (I probably will...)

So much tan. :wub: 23" tall may limit it to where it can be displayed at home.

What can I say ... everytime this guy (Jamie Berard) is presenting us a new model in a designers video I know it's gonna be a great model, no exception with this one. Looks very impressive!

Edited by Emmi

What a beautiful model! I don't know if I'd ever be able to afford it, but I was SO happy watching that designer video. What a beautiful, well-priced, massive, gorgeously accurate and intricate set.

Even though the scale would be well off, I'd kind of love to sit two minifigs out on a bench in front of this eating ice-cream, or some tourists taking photos. :laugh: Fantastic set, it really couldn't have been better. Great job, LEGO! :thumbup:

So they only did part of the building which makes sense. So if you bought to 3 to 5 of these sets you could make the rest of the building. I want to see someone do this.