So over at minifigpriceguide I saw this picture of a prototype Cloud City Boba Fett.

Lego-Prototype-Cloud-City-Boba-Fett-Minifigure-unreleased-from-billund-200x300.jpg

According to the website owner, it belongs to a collector in France.

Now, I can imagine that if the regular Cloud City Boba Fett sells for hundreds of dollars, then this prototype would be insanely expensive, and must be even rarer. I was simply curious as to whether or not anyone here knows more info about this figure or has more pics. It is certainly interesting how it differs from the regular Cloud City Fett.

I would be worried this is a custom someone is passing off as a prototype. I'm not familiar with the site your talking about, never been there, or heard of it before.

Jamie

I would be worried this is a custom someone is passing off as a prototype. I'm not familiar with the site your talking about, never been there, or heard of it before.

Jamie

Minifig price guide is a site that posts news. Mostly about new figs

Protos are one of the hardest types of collectibles to verify, because generally there is nothing to compare it to for verification. Usually, as seen with the other protos from the owner, the proto figures are blank and just solid colors; sometimes not even matching colors.

Test samples or retailer samples can tend to have color and detail as they are used specifically to attract business. Test samples can also show up at conventions.

Here we have a differently printed classic-style Boba Fett, but nothing else to go on. It's possible it's an early test sample that Lego later changed the color on.

Only difference is the gauntlets are yellow

Actually, look again. The logo is read and surrounded by a square.

Too bad we don't have a pic of the other side. If this is a legit prototype, it must be extremely hard to come by. Possibly unique.

Before you guys decide too quickly to discredit the notion of the prototype Cloud City Boba Fett, I've seen him on eBay before and have every reason to believe he's the real deal. Like HawkLord said, the collector selling it confirmed it was a test sample before the Lego decided to change gauntlet color. The eBayer selling it had other unique prototypes on sale at the time it was listed. He was the owner of two of them, and they were listed in the several hundred dollar range.

Before you guys decide too quickly to discredit the notion of the prototype Cloud City Boba Fett, I've seen him on eBay before and have every reason to believe he's the real deal. Like HawkLord said, the collector selling it confirmed it was a test sample before the Lego decided to change gauntlet color. The eBayer selling it had other unique prototypes on sale at the time it was listed. He was the owner of two of them, and they were listed in the several hundred dollar range.

Thanks for the info! Just out of curiosity, what were those prototypes? Although I am not into spending hundreds of dollars into something that does not look better than the finished product, I do think it's nice to know what prototypes have been around.

...and yet I could go and get 50 of these arms, legs and hips printed and added onto a non-10123 figure for less than ÂŁ1000.

Looking at that listing there's nothing there that says prototype or commits too much to it actually being from the set.

True. Never buy a prototype or test sample unless the seller can completely validate what it is and where it came from.

I've seen too many people merely strip the paint off an action figure and try to call it a prototype. Granted this is alittle different, but same kind of scamming can exist.

Take this shining example of someone trying to pass of his custom Batman figures as 'prototype' SDCC Batman figures...

http://bricksetforum...comment/447685/

Looks like some scammers are just becoming lazy in their attempts to copy the designs of actual figures, and are resorting to 'adding value' by claiming their figures are 'prototypes'.

Edited by Alldarker

Those SDCC torsos are being sold for very little on the Mexican Lego Market portal on Facebook and there's a dealer, surprisingly enough in Mexico, on BrickLink asking ÂŁ95 for the torso.

They've obviously been done recently and maybe from actual plates sourced at Lego but the printing is very rough with far too much grey ink which is bleeding quite badly. It probably is printed on genuine Lego but it's not an SDCC figure.

For someone to have several of the 10123 Boba Fett's is the first warning sign to me... it's a very rare thing... but to not specifically explain where the figure is from or commit to it being taken from a set and stored is another red flag... especially when the pricing makes it entirely possible to get these printed up to look legit and make a huge profit per figure.

I've noticed a few sellers on eBay recently who are selling digitally printed copies of the 10123 Fett so the artwork has been recreated by several people and it's only a cost issue to make it pad print.

The same seems to be the case for the NY Yoda figure. There are tons of out-of-the-bag figures for sale with a large majority of them being sold from Mexico. The print is not perfect, but close enough that I'm sure people are falling for it.

It's not so bad if it's clearly listed as a replica or similar... at least you can make the decision based on fact.