Sign in to follow this  
Bregir

[COR-FB3] "The Proceedings" / Journal of the Royal Society of

This was not a good day to be Lieutenant McLeod. He had just lost his command, the Otter, and now had to find its owner, don Isaac Montoya, to bring him the bad news. Luckily, he had found passage to Cocovia on the vessel that resqued him and his crew from drowning, and had just now reached King's Harbour.

While some might stipulate that loosing one's vessel to a much superior and completely scrupulous enemy was not something to be blamed for, and indeed, McLeod had been trying to convince himself of this for the whole trip, as had the captain of the vessel that picked him up, but he remained stressed. Surely, he would not be facing a court martial, as the Otter was a privately owned vessel, but still - it felt like a blemish on his carreer, and he knew not the consequences. Finding that Montoya was under way to Quinsville had given him some temporary respite, but no resolution to his anxiety. And really, Montoya was not who he worried for. Much more imposing was his friend, McLeod's former captain to whom he was indebted for gaining him his first command, Captain Jno. Cooke. Surely, he would not look lightly upon the loss of the cutter and its cargo?

27091549195_20c2a0ceff_c.jpg

Walking through King's Harbour, everything seemed to remind McLeod of the impending dread of bringing over his news. Ibn al'Sayeed had taken it gently, consoled McLeod and offered him and his crew lodgings at a makeshift inn in King's Harbour, but as McLeod was now strolling along in his own thoughts, he noticed the newly build printers shop, where the Proceedings were being printed. The Proceedings being the official journal of the Royal Society of Natural Philosophy, and its new world editions being printed here, in King's Harbour on Cocovia, could not but be another reminder of his grim faith. He wondered if he would ever be able to take ship again...

27023326601_a2a1a1dee3_c.jpg

On the backside of the printers shop, fresh paper was being delivered, and inside the editor was busy setting the types for the newest edition of the Proceedings. It included a working paper by Baker & Montoya on the Cocovian Coral reefs brought in a few days ago by the Ferret packet, as well as the most recent notes on Alberto de Pontelli's recent experiments in flight, and was sure to cause great uproar and interest in the Royal Society. At the same time, his assistant was busy printing the already finished articles, most noteworthily one on turtles by Major Dirk Allcock, and some paleontological notes by Sir James Chase.

27058471916_d470896d94_c.jpg

Here you see a detail shot of my printing press and the table where the editor is setting the types for printing.

Thanks for looking - C&C is as always welcome.

The building and street is rather basic, but I am somewhat limited in my bricks, and try to make the most of it. I really like how the printing press came out, although we have already seen a few magnificent examples.

I would have liked to see some white tiles or at least some sort of pattern to finish off the walls of the building, but I understand if brick constraints didn't allow for that. The press is very nice, I'm impressed (no pun intended pirate_laugh_new.gif ) with how well the 1x1 rounds worked as a screw even though they aren't really angled correctly! Also really like the guy setting type! :thumbup:

That bay window with center window being a bit taller looks lovely thumbup.gif Neat insignia over the door too, the black on white makes the curved slopes look 3d.

And the printing details are excellent pirate_satisfied.gif

Simple, but with an admirable classic feeling and furniture better then anything I'd ever come up with! Great job Bregir!

The build is very nice, a few more tiles would add to it but the press and the other equipment and furniture are superb, I'm loving them. Great stuff.

Nicely done, the machinery and office furniture are my favorite parts of the build. Even though, as you noted, other people have built similar things, it's still nice to see new ideas and designs.

The building itsself is fine, but I'd add some more era-specific details. When combined with the torsos, it strikes me as being a more-modern build, perhaps late 19th century. Perhaps adding some lamps and a sign to the exterior and adding some more pirate minifigs as pedestrians could help.