Mercury

Packing my Minifig collection for a move

I am preparing for a move that is pretty far away, like a 30 hour drive. Any ideas on how to securely package my minifigs for the trip while keeping costs down? I have about 160 minifigs to pack, so it's not a gigantic number but I do want to keep them pristine. Thoughts?

Well, to be honest, it shouldnt be difficult. 160 is not too big a number. Remember that they are toys and meant to be played with, and are pretty hearty. My kids' figs get heavy use and show no wear. You could simply pack them in any sort of container and fill the remaining space with a soft material like foam or even a towel or clothes. That would prevent them moving and grinding against each other, though even if they did theyd still be mint in the end. Dont overthink it, theyll be fine and you probably have lots do and pack, good luck :)

If you don't want them bumping each other, just bubble wrap them, then pop a few bubbles because it's hard to resist, then put them in a small box, then drive away, then go back once you realize you forgot one of your kids, then drive to your new home.

If you ever ordered from bricklink, you probably already have hundreds of little ziplock bags, which also helps keep the accessories together. If not, just wrap each in tissue paper and stack in a container.

I've got some storage boxes from a discount place here in the UK that has compartments that you can fit around 6 or so figs in each... probably around 24 compartments in the box so you could put all of them in something similar. If you're US based there'll be a ton of things like that.

Not much space for them to knock around but they're all protected. As Badbob says you can always get some small ziplock bags to put them in individually first.

Mine are currently stored in one of two ways - either in compartment boxes like Robianco mentions (mine only hold 8 minifigs per box though as I got dinky ones!) or the rest are stored in gripseal / ziplock bags which I then in turn keep in one of those Lego storage boxes.

I moved almost a year ago to be fair and back then I didn't have the cases/box so all I did was put each minifig in a gripseal bag, and then I put them all in shoe boxes which I kept closed with elastic bands (it helps if you've got big feet.. you'll fit more in haha). Mind you my drive was only 30 minutes, not 30 hours. It did keep them safe though. I made sure I took them in the car with me instead of with the removal men so I could make sure they didn't get squashed etc. If you wanted a bit of added protection you could always pack your minifigs in gripseal bags then pad out a box with some tshirts or something? The gripseals are dirt cheap to pick up on eBay anyway and you can order them in the 100's.

Good luck on the move Mercury!

I use tackle boxes that can easily store that many minifigures and then some. Granted, they don't have individual compartment, so minifigures will have to double-up. I've never moved or traveled with them, but they have been moved about and there's no damage to the minifigures.

I moved twice within the space of a year a few years ago and can attest to badbob's suggestion of using gripseal bags. I used a smallish size of bag just big enough for each miniature and its accessories and put them in Really Useful boxes making sure that none of the capes were smushed or creased. I have hundreds of minifigures and they were all fine.

Best of luck with your move!

I don't think you'll be throwing your box around like a courier or driving over every giant road bump. You can probably individually Saran wrap them. Put them in a box and off you go. That would probably be the quickest as you don't have to open and close zip lock bags or tape bubble packs shut.

Ziplock bags are the way to go. Extremely cheap, and you can keep all your minifig bits with the minifig they belong to easily, and then you can do as you please with the bags. Put them in a box etc...

the trick with zip lock bags is to blow into them as you seal them. That way each minifig is trapped inside it's own bubble. It takes up more space but is like super bubble wrap :wink:

But guys, you can't pop individual bubbles in plastic bags. You need to buy bubble wrap, just for that extra feature.

But guys, you can't pop individual bubbles in plastic bags. You need to buy bubble wrap, just for that extra feature.

*pop* *pop* *pop* *pop*

LEGO is made for children and heavy play, they should be fine. If you want to play it safe, use bubble wrap.

*pop* *pop* *pop*

*pop* *pop* *pop* *pop*

LEGO is made for children and heavy play, they should be fine. If you want to play it safe, use bubble wrap.

*pop* *pop* *pop*

This guy knows what he's talking about.

*pop* *pop* *pop*

:laugh:

Thanks for all the replies guys! Some of you are hilarious. I think I'm gonna go the ziploc route and put them all in a box together. I knew I was overthinking it, but I have quite a bit of cash invested into this little collection and I'd hate to see my Silver Centurion get all scarred up!

Box file with a layer of bubble wrap on bottom. then a layer of minifigs with a bit of space between each.

Then another layer of bubble wrap, then 2nd layer of figs so that they are in the gaps of the layer underneath.

Third layer of bubble wrap on top. Use screwed up newspaper to pad the box out if its not quite full.

:laugh:

Thanks for all the replies guys! Some of you are hilarious. I think I'm gonna go the ziploc route and put them all in a box together. I knew I was overthinking it, but I have quite a bit of cash invested into this little collection and I'd hate to see my Silver Centurion get all scarred up!

Haha not at all, I know where you're coming from! When I met my other half all of her Lego key rings where just pilled in a box, the OCD in me had to get them each in their own ziplock so I knew they'd be better protected :laugh:.

Haha not at all, I know where you're coming from! When I met my other half all of her Lego key rings where just pilled in a box, the OCD in me had to get them each in their own ziplock so I knew they'd be better protected :laugh:.

Oh man that would drive me nuts! My wife told me I should just throw all my figs in a box and get it over with. I just stared at her.

My wife told me I should just throw all my figs in a box and get it over with.

That's not so bad. My fiancee said I should throw my LEGO out!

Not moving but the new minifigs are bagged individually until the casting call for MOCs and bigger bags to separate them by themes. Makes it a lot easier to locate them too with the exception of army builders that go on separate plastic containers together.

AC

27037545642_60ee137754_c.jpg

8397229916_d511f8c0c3_c.jpg

I love that tupperware idea! I might try that one. I just have to order a few more base plates.

I've also got a move coming up. All of my minifigs are now framed and the idea was to place them all in boxes with plenty of bubble wrap. It wasn't until I've recently had all the frames together that I had a "I'm gonna need a bigger boat" moment.

I'm sure most collectors struggle with moving Lego and settle with good solid boxes and lots of bubble wrap.

I moved my collection last automn, must be over 500 figs or more, they were standing on 32x32 plates in drawers. drawers were wrapped to prevent to loose anything. Worked pretty well.

I have most of mine on plates, I was contemplating leaving them on them and packing the plates but I'm worried they will pop off and vibrate around.