Sign in to follow this  
Captain Green Hair

[MOC] Ship ''Halve Maen'' 1606 in minifig scale

Yargh! Err... I mean hi all!

In this topic I will show and tell about my new ship model, a 1:45 scale model of the VOC ship ''Halve Maen'' which was build in 1606 (approximately, nobody knows exact). The ship is only 25,7 meters long and 5,3 meters wide. I choose this ship since it is quite doable in minifig scale.

The model is based on the replica ship that docks in Hoorn, Holland. She can be visited, here is the website.

History

Originally she was launched as a yacht, but in 1609 she was commissioned by the VOC for a new endeavour.

The VOC asked English explorer Henry Hudson to find a new shipping route to the east Indies.

This was quite a daring voyage with such a smal ship and a crew of just 16 men.

Well instead of finding the Indies, he actually found New York and the rest is history.

After this famous voyage she was put into battle in the Indies, she actually fought several battles. and was eventually shot on fire and sunk in 1618 on the coast of Jakarta Indonesia. If you'd like to read more about the history you can do so here and here.

The replica today

The existing replica was build in 1988, after the first replica burned down in 1934. She was build in Albany, New York.

Research was far better for this second replica and she shows great difference from the first replica.

I believe the second replica to be more accurate, so I took her as example. However not much is known about the 1606 original, there are no plans, except for some old drawings. I took the colour scheme they first used, she is different today. I did not make the red/white stripes, they don't seem very realistic to me.

26933448392_de96ea08cb.jpg

And a cut through whis gives a good view of how small this ship actually was:

26933431612_27f84fb554_b.jpg

Well without further ado, I give you my model:

27027281425_162cbb6bbb_b.jpg

And at a slightly different angle:

26424015843_e9711e7c30_b.jpg

A bit closer with the gunports closed:

27027282565_35e0fdcf43_b.jpg

A detail shot of the hull construction:

26933433562_ede9f210e7_b.jpg

I took the lion design of my Prins Willim, just had to downsize it a bit. I also really like the construction of the galleon, the understructure and railings are exactly how they should be, with an open frame underneath:

27027283215_bba738a204_b.jpg

Another detail of the galleon, also showing the 2 access doors:

26933434542_4bb9af30a4_b.jpg

Next is the stern, showing the weapon of Amsterdam, a moon and stars and a cabin window:

27027284245_b96d1b6e5a_b.jpg

A straight shot on the stern, showing the crazy curvature and the lanter which (I think) is Captain Braunsfeld's design:

26933435192_d64794ac70_b.jpg

Next up a birds eye showing the detail of the masts, rigging and sails. Some of you have seen this model at the Eurobricks event, when she was about 95% complete. I told you I wanted to make printed flags, but a most of you liked the wavy flagpieces I had quickly put on better. This made me decide to make brick build flags. From bow to stern they are: Dutch flag, Flag of countship Holland, Flag of the Dutch republic, Flag of Amsterdam, Flag of the VOC. The Flag of the countship of Holland was the most difficult, it is a yellow flag with a red lion. If anybody can come up with a nicer design please tell me.

27027284885_fb6d7b98c7_b.jpg

A detail of the crow's nest:

26994188096_686c74840c_b.jpg

And a bit closer showing all the activity on deck:

27027285735_040f19ce65_b.jpg

A view on the back of the ship. You can see the capstan and ship's bell. Underneath the bell was the ''steering cabin'' and you can se the first mate looking out over the ship:

27027286305_152a233491_b.jpg

And here you can see the first mate in the cabin with the whipstick:

27027286655_44304915ff_b.jpg

Since everything is so small, I also had to design a very small dinghy:

27027286835_0e80de9f28_b.jpg

26933437612_b9ecb388e0_b.jpg

And small cannons:

26753687440_53bb57a944_b.jpg

The hatches and part of the deck can be removed to show what is going on below deck, note the cannon ''tools'' on the wall:

27027299825_fd9aed8a12_b.jpg

The anchors can actually be dropped, this is a new anchor design which is quite sturdy:

27027288475_0a1fa00483_b.jpg

In the first pictures you see the sails as they would be hoisted quickly, not in a neat manner. This makes the model look lively without distracting too much from the details. However, what is a ship without functional sails:

26933440522_f646b5baa9_b.jpg

27027289365_1403fe680b_b.jpg

26959093001_c32e8e17b5_b.jpg

And finally a shot which ook me way too much time to make, but I couldn't help myself but putting her in the water:

26753690240_1ba7887957_b.jpg

That concludes it. I hope you like the model and my presentation.

Thank you for reading, I look forward to your C&C!

I was one on the few already seeing this masterpiece with my own eyes at the EB event in Billund.

Best ship ever :wub:

This thing is a real beauty, the attention to detail and craftmanship is amazing. :wub:

It was a real treat seeing it person, and now I will be ogling over the photos some more!

Awesome ship with soo much details. I like how you used banana as moon.

Stunning! Looks so real in every aspect, and that hull is especially mind-blowing pirate_oh.gif

Great little dinghy, and flags as well pirate_classic.gif

I was one on the few already seeing this masterpiece with my own eyes at the EB event in Billund.

I am happy to be one of the few as well. Outstanding creation by a fantastic builder!

Amazing build! The small details really help make this model shine, such as the dingy and the colourful cabin.

Oh who's, now that's a nice one. You never seem to disappoint good sir. "Intricate" is the word which comes to mind. Though built with a somewhat straightforward block stacking type technique, all the half studs and what not really blend together so well.

I note a rather complete rig and cloth sails, always a fan. I too prefer the color scheme you chose, it should be bold and bright. 

There isn't much to offer in terms of criticism. Maybe the waterline is a bit low but it's hard to tell if that's not just an optical illusion. Otherwise great job and thanks for sharing!

It's sad that even though she was based not to far from my home, I never had the opportunity to see the replica in person before she was sold and sailed off. Still, I understand that the resources to take care of here just were not available to her caretakers on this side so hopefully she's better well maintained in their new home.

A real beauty! Impressive as always. Nice to see you sharing your fantastic works again.

iammac's jaw hit the ground so hard it's halfway to China. Along the way, somewhere in the seventh circle of Hell, Dante noted that Satan was also reading Eurobricks and drooling over this masterpiece. I hope Captain Green Hair knows just how much more the prisoners suffered for the fit of jealousy he caused down there.

Great build and simply stunning!

Wow she looks perfect! She is exactly like the replica, a wit such good rigging and equipment I wouldn't be surprised if she could recreate the trans-Atlantic trip herself! You have definitely shown that there is no need for prefab hulls when making a lego ship!

Thank you for all the kind words, I really appreciate it! thumbup.gif

There isn't much to offer in terms of criticism. Maybe the waterline is a bit low but it's hard to tell if that's not just an optical illusion. Otherwise great job and thanks for sharing!

It's sad that even though she was based not to far from my home, I never had the opportunity to see the replica in person before she was sold and sailed off. Still, I understand that the resources to take care of here just were not available to her caretakers on this side so hopefully she's better well maintained in their new home.

I think the waterline might look too low from the pictures, but it is an illusion. Everything is proportioned exactly like the replica ship. In the cut away picture you can see where the waterline is, just above the first black beam. Dutch ships were made to sail in shallow waters, something you might not see on other nation's ships.

It is a shame you didn't get a chance to visit her, but I still haven't visited her either and she is really close to here too. default_laugh_new.gif

I do still plan on visiting and do some comparison. default_laugh2.gif

Sorry for double posting, but here is a break down of the cannons for the faundry.

28943711676_5d67e088ba_b.jpg

I do think the front of the barrel might look nicer with a telescope instead of a pin joiner, but it also depends on how heavy the gun should be.

Very cool indeed.

I like your choice of techniques. Fx:

• A more or less consistant use of 15573/3794 to shape the hull
  • Your use of tubes to shape the Crows nests
  • Plates and hinges to shape the stern

A thing it took a while for me to notice, was the fact that not only did you replicate the ship on the cut trhough, but also all the little guys. :excited:

Edited by Anders T