Robert8

Ideas for CMFs

5 hours ago, williejm said:

Agreed. 
with you on Michelangelo though - so many missed opportunities with the ‘cameos’ in the Lego movies 

Agreed on Michangelo. I’m a fan of Italian Renaissance arts and it’s shame we don’t get Michelangelo minifigure from the lego movie. 

Not so awesome. 

On 1/7/2022 at 5:57 PM, williejm said:

At least your hearth is in the right place ;)

A literal LOL from me to you! :D That's a pun to re-ember.

Work sucked, let's do Series I for me to decompress.

Little Witch: I can always use more kids in adorable Halloween costumes, and this is probably the second most obvious one after the Ghost Boy. The lime-green pumpkin bucket is nice too.

Elf Soldier: The fantasy wargaming fans would be all over this. Oddly enough, it doesn't do a lot for me, although I would feel obligated to get one to keep my fantasy collection complete.

Movie Director: He looks pretty much like anyone would expect, I think. My one criticism is that the face is a little too similar to the Series 4 Artist, especially with the beret they both have.

Retro Robot: I don't really know what to make of this one. It's cute enough, but it barely looks like a minifig.

Pilgrim: This, on the other hand, I will tout the necessity for at every opportunity. TLG clearly knows Thanksgiving is a thing because they've done at least one small "Thanksgiving dinner" set, so come on, you Danish megacorp...where's our Pilgrim?

Motocross Racer: Not my thing. I like the printing on the trophy, though--gussies it up a little.

White Chess Pawn: A new concept enters the CMFs! (And now, however many waves later, we're almost done!) The beauty of this one is that everyone who cares would need at least 8 of them.

Piñata Suit Guy: This is an odd one. Conceptually, it's...basically pointless. Nobody dresses up like a piñata. It's just not a thing. (Attention wise guys: this is NOT your cue to Google photos of people dressed as piñatas just to prove me wrong.) But...look how happy he is! Look how much fun he's having! It's so weird that I can appreciate the audacity! Or maybe I'm just attracted by the bright colors. Anyway, I like him.

Gladiatrix: She is very cool. I always sit up and take notice when someone is daring enough to create a female character with a scarred face, and hers is a doozy. I like the prosthetic, although I don't recognize that blade type...is that historical? And of course that's a great hair piece for a character like this.

Jetpack Guy: I think most people who want a Jetpack Man are picturing something more pulp/steampunk-y, like the Rocketeer, but you know who this reminds me of? The Rocket Man who did demos at Disneyland way back in the day. No, I never saw him, he was before my time, but I've seen short video clips. A dude literally put on a jetpack and got some air, in front of a crowd. This guy has more of that aesthetic, and that alone makes him a winner in my eyes.

Doll: If we're not going to get a female scarecrow, can we at least have this? What a sweet design, and the antique teddy bear look is quite nice too.

Clairvoyant: This guy is terrific. The ornate robe design, the collar with all the different-colored beads/jewels, that fabulous turban ornament, the crystal ball. The way the print on the ball interacts with the color of the plastic creates a nice effect.

Butler: He looks like he puts up with a lot from Sir and Madam. Love the hair, love the feather duster, love the nice suit print.

Rogue Woman: Yet another great fantasy archetype, and a great design to illustrate it. The slightly ragged edge to the cape is nicely evocative, and I think everyone who builds Castle would want that version of the sack.

Ventriloquist: What a fun use for the baby-sized minifig molds! And that checkered suit is rather telltale, isn't it? You might guess his profession even without the dummy.

Evil Scarecrow: Now this is where it's at! Probably the one I'd be most excited for out of this entire wave. The printed noose is probably a little too gruesome for LEGO, but overall it's a superb look and I think having jack-o-lanterns in dark orange would raise the profile of Halloween MOCs all by itself. And of course the crow is a sorely needed addition to the LEGO menagerie.

Overall: Unfortunately not one of the best. Still more hits than misses.

Edited by Karalora

Very tough times in my personal life with my father passing away around this time, which is something I really never recovered of. I almost quit after this series because of that

But I didn't. And I'm glad. 

I think I like this series better than @Karalora Top half for me. 

I actually remember a lot of this one

Clairvoyant had the crystall ball piece with a minifigure head inside. And the head inside was going to have printed like money, wedding rings, the Series D Grim Reaper and a baby, so you could rotate the head and show a different fate. 

Doll was originally a raggedy ann kind of doll, but it looked... well, not good. 

Piñata Suit Guy just like to be hit with a stick :wink: Dont kinkshame him 

Pilgrim would come without the gun, especially during these times

Elf Soldier was a female. Like an elf.....  amazon (?) lol Sometimes I just come up with some bs I even surprise myself. 

Gladiatrix's hand is not prosthetic, its a weapon. It's called Roman Scissor. 

And here is my biggest regret in this whole project: the chess pieces. What was I even thinking? What use can you have for a chess piece if it would take you years to complete the whole set. 

The chess pieces should had been their own separate unnumbered series, with the reverse of the leaflet having printed the board to play chess. It's so obvious now.... I still hit my head against the wall about this. 

I had another concept for this series I never used: the zodiacs. I was going to start with Aquarius in this series. Something like this:

Aquarius - the Ancient Greek Myth behind the Zodiac Sign - Greeker than the  Greeks and it would come with a 1x2x2 printed with the symbol of the zodiac

But I dropped the idea because some of them were tricky to translate into a minifigure like pisces or gemini

Anyway, my favs are Evil Scarecrow, Pilgrim, Ventriloquist and Doll

And the ranking goes 

SERIES F

SERIES C

SERIES I

SERIES E

SERIES G

SERIES A

SERIES B

SERIES H

SERIES D

So, I know you are at the end of the alphabet, and this whole massive endeavour @Robert8 but a cheeky idea I have had recently for a most badass figure is one of the (Mongolian) Eagle Hunters 🦅

On 1/7/2022 at 3:58 AM, Robert8 said:

I wasn't planning to include Apollo, but some people were asking for him, included you, so here it is. :grin:

The Apollo goes perfectly with Artemis from series c

13 minutes ago, gryffindorbrickkid said:

The Apollo goes perfectly with Artemis from series c

Agreed. Artemis won’t ge a part of godly twins without Apollo. In fact, it would be nice to have an openly bisexual Olympican minifigure like Apollo. 

Series J? Series J!

Cyborg Man: Here we have a rare situation where TLG produced a minifig for an archetype that would normally default to male, and made it female instead, obligating Robert8 to give us the male version. I'm not gung-ho for science-fiction the way I am for fantasy, but I still collect them, and I think this guy would look terrific alongside his...sister? Let's go with sister. Hard to imagine they'd share that far-out hair color if they didn't share DNA.

Majorette: I want an entire marching band, largely for the instruments, but also for the snazzy uniforms, and this is a gorgeous example.

Philosopher: This is one of those historical minifigs we could really use...for example, as a framing device for all the gods and monsters! Mythology as philosophical lecture, d'you see? I can transcribe his scroll into the Latin alphabet (except where his hand blocks the print) but I have no idea what the words actually mean. I see PHILOS twice; something about love?

Beatnik: And here we have the proto-hipster, ca. 1958. Or Richard Feynman, I guess. Either way, it's all about the bongos, isn't it? The black sweater could look nice as winter wear I suppose.

Taco Man: What is it with minifigures and dressing up as food? Nice to let the Tex-Mex truck in on the party though. He's clearly having a lot of fun!

French Queen: This one would be highly sought after on aesthetics alone. That fabulous wig,the printed fan, the exquisite gown design. And unlike the original article, this one can put her head back on if she loses it!

Inventor: You're getting a lot of mileage out of the baby mold lately and I approve! We aren't there yet as of Series J, but returning to the present for a moment we've got a nice little steampunk mini-theme and it's making me want LEGO to go full steampunk with a line of sets. What fantastic builds they could devise!

Postman: While I doubt many of us are clamoring for a postman, this is a fine example of one, and we could all probably think of uses for those tiles. (I am wondering whether we haven't gotten one simply because postal uniforms vary so much from country to country and it's an international company.)

Cow Suit Girl: Knowing that you considered doing a zodiac mini-theme, I am now detecting a minor pattern in the animal costumes you have introduced. Still, a cow suit would be a great one for them to add to the lineup, and I'm sad they didn't do it last year for LNY when it was the Year of the Ox (they just put a bull hood on a guy).

Pool Party Girl: The unicorn float and new hairdo alone are worth the cost of admission, but hey! Child-sized swimsuit! Haven't I been saying we need a wider variety of swimwear?

Gate Guard: How the actual Swiss Guard can do their job with a straight face is one of the great mysteries of our era. For real. There are people in the world today who have to dress like that AT THEIR JOB. As a minifig design, though? Top-notch, and the bi-colored pike is a nice development.

Wrestler Woman: What a fantastic mask design, with the little angel wings around the eyeholes! I don't follow lucha, so I don't know if it's based on a real one, but this entire look is delightfully distinctive.

Martian: This is what aliens were when I was a kid. Little green men with antennae and zapper guns. I bet he flies around in a little UFO the size of a bumper car with a bubble dome too.

Underworld King: Back on the mythology train with another classic! We've gotten "Hades" for real, of course, if the Disney version counts (no, not really), but I'd love to see a more serious take and who am I kidding, it is ALL ABOUT tiny!Cerberus. Where's my tiny!Cerberus, LEGO? I want him.

White Chess Bishop: I like that he's old. Most bishops are IRL. At least you got more use out of Nefertiti's crook.

Bellhop: I look at this guy and I want to build a hotel. (It may or may not be haunted.) The two suitcases are also great accessories, even if one of them is an old mold with some new embellishments.

Overall: This is a really fun series. Not a lot of must-haves (I mean...I'd want most of them for my own collection, but I'm assuming on behalf of the community) , but a lot of REALLY fun ideas and imagery. The French Queen is probably the best of the lot.

Edited by Karalora

Kind of an odd series to me. I only remember a few tidbits of trivia

-Cow Suit Girl almost had udders printed. but it looked kind of strange. So, I removed them

-French Queen's dress was light blue but I went with pink at the end

-About Underworld King, if I recall correctly, cerberus was always a regular sized dog. Pop culture changed into a giant monster for effect I think

Statue Group of Persephone-Isis and Pluto-Serapis with Cerberus  (Illustration) - World History Encyclopedia

Beatnik was originally a woman with a new long hair+beret and it was going to be called Poetry Reader or something like that

Wrestler Woman isn't based on anyone. Just a random design

Philospoher is based on someone: Aristotle, and the quote printed on the tile is αυτός που είναι φίλος με όλους δεν είναι φίλος σε κανέναν (A friend to all is a friend to none)

I wish I had started earlier with the Steampunk subtheme. 

Anyway, my favs are French Queen and Underworld King. I also quite like the Philosopher. I was planning to reuse the hairpiece for a Greek Actor holding a comedy and tragedy mask, but again, I ran out of spots. 

I'll place this one under series E and above Series G

SERIES F

SERIES C

SERIES I

SERIES E

SERIES J

SERIES G

SERIES A

SERIES B

SERIES H

SERIES D

17 hours ago, Karalora said:

I'm glad you didn't quit too, @Robert8. Sorry you had to go through such a tough time.

21 hours ago, williejm said:

So, I know you are at the end of the alphabet, and this whole massive endeavour @Robert8 but a cheeky idea I have had recently for a most badass figure is one of the (Mongolian) Eagle Hunters 🦅

Genghis Khan was something I really wanted to make, but just as Alexandre the Great and Nikola Tesla, I had them forever listed but never actually made. 

The mongolian eagle hunters you mention is something I can actually see done in a real CMF. Never heard about them until now

Loved Hades, and the French Queen. Think that the Majorette is a really stand out figure too.

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

The mongolian eagle hunters you mention is something I can actually see done in a real CMF. Never heard about them until now

Agreed, we need more Asian representation In CMFs - and hey, it’s an excuse to add an animal. 

6 hours ago, Robert8 said:

-About Underworld King, if I recall correctly, cerberus was always a regular sized dog. Pop culture changed into a giant monster for effect I think

Statue Group of Persephone-Isis and Pluto-Serapis with Cerberus  (Illustration) - World History Encyclopedia

Not sure we can take the statue as authoritative regarding Cerberus's size, mainly because I think he's there as an identifier for Hades rather than an indicator as to what the ancients thought he was actually like. In any case, even if not literally giant, he would have to be bigger than that, because he's described as a mastiff and wrestling him into submission was one of Heracles's heroic feats. It would not take Heracles to wrestle that dog. I could do it on my lunch break.

Please do not take this as criticism of your Cerberus. We have already established that tiny!Cerberus is awesome.

It's time for Series K, which is my IRL first initial as well as the first letter of my 'nym, so I guess I should have a special connection to this one? Let's find out!

Pirate Queen: The real CMFs have given us a Pirate Captain and a Scallywag Pirate and a Pirate Girl and even a Zombie Pirate, but no Pirate Queen as yet. I want a Pirate Queen, and I want her to look just like this. Fun history fact: the most successful pirate leader of all time, as measured in treasure captured vs. consequences faced, was a woman: Ching Shih, who was so dang good at it that the Chinese government eventually let her retire peacefully with all her loot on condition that she...retire peacefully with all her loot. (Dang, now I want a Chinese Pirate Queen too!)

Nymph: Absolutely exquisite. Of all the fantasy characters, nature spirits are some of my favorites. That hairpiece with the flower crown could be recolored for a May Queen, which is another item on my wish list. But I'd be thrilled to have this!

Bodybuilder: I'm not much for the athletes, but I do admire Robert8's creativity in designing trophies out of existing parts. Could we get a lineup image of all the trophies maybe?

Caroler Guy: To go with the earlier Caroler, of course. I assume from the choice of songs that these are not actual Victorian carolers, but modern people who like to dress in period costume, in which case I admire this guy's commitment to the bit by also growing out muttonchops. I'd like to see a version without the green coat, to get a full view of that vest.

Politician: He seems more trustworthy than most of the ones making the news these days. :sceptic: But I need to know more about where he stands on the issues.

Beanstalk Climber: We've got the golden egg in reality, at least. The goose would make a great addition to the farmyard though, and Castle fans ought to love the boy's peasant garb.

Tooth Fairy: I mean...there's absolutely no guesswork here. This is 100% a Tooth Fairy. Are the sparkles on the wings a print or does it indicate glitter plastic? Because if the latter...I can't imagine why they haven't already done fairy wings in a glitter plastic.

Grave Digger: He's perfect! Reminds me of the one from the Van Helsing film. I think the round lantern that exists now post-dates this design, but I wouldn't mind having a square one also. I get a kick out of the juxtaposition between his perfect tidy suit and his face that looks like someone dug his grave at least a few months ago.

Date Night Guy: A recolored teddy bear is always welcome of course, and that and the balloon would work great in Valentine's Day vignettes even if the guy doesn't do it for you. Can I assume the Date Night Gal is still to come? That arrow needs to be pointing at someone...

Holidaymaker: Bit of an awkward name, but maybe less clunky than any of the alternatives. Vacation Lady? Beach Gal? Anyway, here we have another nice swimsuit design and a BEACH BALL! The hat + hair is pretty nice too...although it's too bad we need combo pieces like this to make most sorts of female characters wearing hats.

Toy Clown: For all that this is an elaboration of that minibuild that came with the first Winter Toy Shop...at least it's a really, really cute elaboration. New jester hat? Awesome! Cheerful clown doll face? Awesome! The color selections? Everything is awesome! Using lighter shades than the primary red and blue gives it something of an antique look.

Terracotta Warrior: Yes please. In fact, can we have about 20 variant heads in order to bring across a sliver of the variety of the actual Terracotta Army?

Closet Monster: I love how friendly this guy looks. This isn't a monster that a kid is afraid of; this is a monster who's the kid's nighttime buddy and protects them from the meaner monsters. And in the meantime, they read stories together! The lavender furry body almost begs to be repurposed for other cute plush toys and/or costumes.

Doctor: I have possibly detected an anachronism! That giant headlamp suggests the 1920s or earlier (I think--surgeons still use headlamps but not your GP, and they don't look like that), but those appear to be ballpoint pens in his pocket, and those didn't become common until after WW2! Robert8, have you been defrauding us with stuff and nonsense all the time? I kid, of course. This is a perfectly respectable, decade-neutral cartoon doctor.

Cartoon Girl: And speaking of cartoons...! I'm sure she and her male counterpart will engage in all kinds of wacky shenanigans with sound effects played on cheap musical instruments right in the studio. And then maybe they'll kiss behind a window shade.

Jouster: The burning question here is, naturally, will that lance fit in the bag? He'd certainly be easy for those filthy bag-scrunchers to find, in any case. The heraldry is quite nice-looking (if a little difficult to blazon...I have "quarterly paly murrey and gules and azure, an eagle or between three quatrefoils or" but I don't like it) and I appreciate the re-use of the "crow" as a crest on the helm.

Overall: Mostly really solid work this time around. There are quite a few that I would pounce on.

Edited by Karalora

Oh yeah. This series has remained my favorite all throughout. Easily the one I like the most; I always come back to this one. Every single figure I like and would not change anything. If I could choose one of these series to get made, this would be the one, and I would soon go bankrupt cause I’d need duplicates of every one. 

Phenomenal work. This is your Ideas at the best. 

I'm not really sure if Series K goes to top of the rank, or that's still Series F. 

I'll go with Series F but just by a little bit. Just a tiny bit

SERIES F

SERIES K

SERIES C

SERIES I

SERIES E

SERIES J

SERIES G

SERIES A

SERIES B

SERIES H

SERIES D

Strong series for sure. Everything worked just fine. Very solid wave

@Karalora Cant believe what you just said the Politician.... you just wait until Series Y to see how trustworthy he really is

About the Date Night Guy's partner... again you just wait until Series Y. Poor dude has been waiting for almost 4 years for his date to arrive. If that isn't love, I don't know what it is.

Now that I think about it, Series Y has many ties to this one 

Closet Monster, Pirate Queen and Nymph are my favorites from this series. This is probably the strongest batch of females probably tied with Series X. 

Nymph was supposed to have 2 follow-ups: the Sea Nymph (a Nereid) and a Dark Nymph (a Lampad), but again not enough spots. 

I really needed to take break at this point, for a lot of reasons

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

@Karalora Cant believe what you just said the Politician.... you just wait until Series Y to see how trustworthy he really is

Uh oh...but really, can he be worse than half the wackos in Washington right now?

Notwithstanding the moral character (or lack thereof) of politicians, let's do Series L!

Actor: An utter classic. We need him for the principle of the thing.

Aquatic Show Trainer: This one, as in many cases both actual and hypothetical, is more about the dolphin than the figure. Nice re-use of the Rhythmic Gymnast's hoop from way back when.

Dino Boy: Minifig in a dinosaur costume? Awesome. Minifig in a baby dinosaur hatching from an egg costume? Epic! Good continuity, re-using the green-spotted shell pattern from the Dino Researcher's egg.

Calaca: I'm in love with her. The dress print, the flowered hair, the concept. We are long overdue for at least some sugar skull imagery in LEGO--the U.S. is still the biggest market and we are really warming up to certain aspects of Mexican culture over here. What, we can have Taco Tuesday guy and various other mariachis but not sugar skulls?

Saloon Worker: Another much-desired character for any Old West town. The cow skull design on the one bottle lets you know that's the good stuff.

Airline Pilot: Again...not really a plain City fan, but I'll always give a thumbs-up to female characters in jobs that are almost always presumed male by default.

Cookies Seller: Very nice repurposing of the Mime Girl's headgear! As well as being a very cute character in general, definitely an overachiever with the number of patches on her sash. I'm sure the new cookie-printed round tiles would be very popular. (why don't we have regular chocolate chips yet?)

Puppet: This sure takes me back...to about a week ago when someone made a Tumblr post referencing a famous Sesame Street sketch. That "yarn" wig could also work for short dreadlocks, and the finger-puppet function sounds like a lot of fun just to screw around with (all the more so when the female companion shows up later on).

Maori Warrior: This guy is awesome! I love the tats and the printed spear and the belt and the war face! It's deceptively simple; it's all the printed details that really make him special.

Supermarket Clerk: Gonna tweak something I said above...it's not that I'm not interested in plain City...I'm not interested in flashy City. Cops are flashy. Pilots are flashy because to me, an airplane trip is a big deal that happens maybe once every 15 years (and you're not likely to see your pilot in person anyway). The ordinary day-to-day stuff holds a lot more appeal for me, and this is an example of that. This is Bob, your friendly neighborhood cashier/bagger. He's gonna sell you some good food to take home. (We always want more food pieces!)

Red Card Guard: And here we've returned to Wonderland...with an army builder! Very nice that you did a twofer of Hearts and Diamonds in a single slot (and will do the same with the black suits). And nice idea for turning the brick costume body into something a little less self-referential.

Archery Champion: Once again, I don't tend to seek out the athlete figures, but can I just say I'm relieved she has the proper safety equipment? The last time I tried archery (at Ren Faire several years ago), they didn't supply any sort of glove or bracer and that bowstring slapped my arm every time and I had welts for days.

Chaos Lord: If this is supposed to be a god from world mythology, I'm missing the reference. He looks more like something out of a Conan novel to me. In any case, that's a rad helmet, and the flails? Yes PLEASE!

Roller Blader: It's like the 80s and the 90s had the world's ugliest baby. I kind of love her for that reason alone?

Mutant: Shades of Futurama here. I dunno, this one might just edge over into too-gruesome territory where LEGO is concerned. But I think he's cool.

Space Explorer: Another reference to a Classic Space sub-theme which I'm sure would be delightful to people who were fans of said sub-theme back in the day.

Overall: Not the slam-dunk of the last series, but a lot of fun surprises.

Some really great ideas here.  I really like the evil mermaid, enchantress, golem, plague doctor, sultan.  The combined mecha, steampunk explorer, and olymic archer are very nice too.  The evil mermaid and the sultan really stand out to me and have great details.  The golem also has great detailing.  I like your new crow piece.  Oh and the wild west lady looks just like she is from the old western movies.  Wonderful work all around.  I really think this is one of your best series overall.  

I have some recommendations.

1. unicycle guy (using a new unicycle element and the trance lucent wheels used for bikes)

2. cardboard box person (using a Minecraft head with printing to look like a cardboard box with a face scribbled on it and a new print for the Adidas box costume in that one GWP)

3. 3d printer lady (with a brick built 3d printer, a laptop, and a blue frog or something)

4. tabletop gamer (with new d-20 dice and maybe a fantasy microfig)

5. female version of the series 16 fly man

That's all I have for now.

I don't know. I just think those would be cool. I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to make recommendations.

Edited by Celebrian Telrunya

5 hours ago, zoth33 said:

I really think this is one of your best series overall.  

Thanks

I'm really glad I'm able to get comments like this even at this point of the game. Thanks a lot

5 hours ago, Eggyslav said:

I love Chaos Lord, because he's like, ripped straight from Warhammer.

Correct. 

Something you'd find in a fantasy game or something

3 hours ago, Celebrian Telrunya said:

I don't know. I just think those would be cool. I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to make recommendations.

Thanks for your recommendations. Glad you're sharing them with us. 

I have Series Y ready and Series Z list already decided, but I'm going to post a list of characters from my wishlist that I coudln't make in this project, in case someone wants to take from here. I'm going to included these for sure

8 hours ago, Karalora said:

Notwithstanding the moral character (or lack thereof) of politicians, let's do Series L!

Series L is one of those series I don't have much else to say. Pretty straightforward if you will

Calaca originally had long hair, but I also wanted to make a Frida Khalo minifgure somewhere down the line, and I needed the piece to fit her, so I went with the short one. 

At some point I thought about making her as bride with black clothes, but I also needed her to match with the Festive Mariachi from the first "character encyclopedia" so I went with a similar color scheme

Chaos Lord also had an alternate version (read and black) similar to what I did with the Dragon Suit Guy. I figured it looked too similar to Ares, a character I wanted to make at some point. 

The Puppet took a lot to figure it out. And it seems people either love it or hate it. Like, there is no middle point. Very strange.

A lof of minifigures from Series L were setting up counterparts for later series (Puppet, Mutant, Cookies Seller, Dino Boy, Red Card Guard, and more but those ideas never came to happen)

My favs from this series are Calaca, Actor, Mutant, Chaos Lord and Puppet

I'll put this series right in the middle of the ranking

SERIES F

SERIES K

SERIES C

SERIES I

SERIES E

SERIES L

SERIES J

SERIES G

SERIES A

SERIES B