Robert8

Ideas for CMFs

8 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

@Robert8, have you done a female version of Jungle Boy before? I can’t remember if i have seen your work before. 

Thanks!

Yes, the Series N Jungle Girl

6 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Thanks!

Yes, the Series N Jungle Girl

No problem!

Ah gotcha!

Oh my! The Carnival Man is absolutely magnificent. The sphinx is briliant, as are Frida Kahlo, Don Quichotte and the sleuth. Nice use of the long leg part for Pumpkin Man! And my absolute favourite is the Supreme Leader. Ready for world domination. :pir-huzzah2:

Nice work, as always. Really like Zeus, Clockwork monkey, Frida & Sphinx - those are the stand outs for me. 

Edited by williejm
Typo

@Robert8, thank you for once again bringing such amazing and well done ideas based off of the CMFs, I always enjoy so much looking at your drawings and character I never would have thought of. 

Supreme Commander: very detailed and interesting. Does the robot hand count as a piece? 
Gnome Girl: fun and colorful, fits in perfectly
Carnival Man: extremely well done, looks magnificent! 
Black Bishop: with only three series left but four chess figures to reveal, which series will include a double? 
Streamer: another fun and interesting idea, the colors are a bit much for me personally
Windmill Fighter: that beard piece and face expression... I love it!! 
Dentist: The CMFs need to have one, and the toothbrush accessory is a must. 
Sphinx: sad that there will only be one, but at least this one here looks great, certainly a unique minifigure 
Alien Commander: perfect addition to the sci-fi lineup 
Painter: not sure what this is based off but I love the attention to detail and the unique look. At least, I love learning about things from the ideas in your series and this figure looks fun in every way 
Pumpkin Head: this is funny, I was imagining a horror theme but this is delightful anyway! Great part usage  
Sleuth: Awesome design as always. Have you ever made a black & white figure before? 
Zeus: perfect in every way, I love it! Thanks for including it in your series. 
Cymbal Monkey: a fun minifigure with cool new parts. Are the cymbals one piece or two? 
Volleyball Player: another ‘missing’ athlete from the cmfs wonderfully created for Series W. 

Overall, my favorites are the Thunder God, Windmill Fighter, Painter, Sphinx, and Dentist but I would collect all of them in a heartbeat 

19 minutes ago, ToaIruini said:

Painter: not sure what this is based off but I love the attention to detail and the unique look. At least, I love learning about things from the ideas in your series and this figure looks fun in every way 

It's based upon Frida Kahlo, she was a very well known Mexican painter. ;)

1 hour ago, Eggyslav said:

It's based upon Frida Kahlo, she was a very well known Mexican painter. ;)

Thank you! And learning I have done. I don’t follow visual art, just music :)

Well done, Robert, as usual! Splendid array of interesting and surprising minifigures, even after all of this time designing! Kudos to you. 

Zeus, Don Quixote, Pumpkin Head, Sphinx and Gnome Girl are my favorites this time around! Streamer Girl is a little too pastel for my tastes, but her design is well done nonetheless.

Lego's minifigures designers could really learn a thing or two ... or a hundred ... from checking out your designs.

And yet another excellent set! 

My personal favorites are Dentist, Volleyball Player, Monkey, and Don Quixote - now I need a Spanish windmill, and Sancho Panza with his donkey...!

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Eggyslav said:

Congrats on your secont front page feature Robert! And here's to many more!

Yes! That was a nice suprised this morning!

Thanks to @Clone OPatra for considering my work for the front page

This latest series of figures you've come up with is really interesting! I especially like the video game streamer!

I'm curious, do you have any other views of the spaceship costume for the space boy? It's a little bit hard to grasp the full dimensionality of it from a front view alone.

I also hope it's not too forward of me to gently critique the painter fig's design. It's clearly based on Frida Kahlo, which is a very nice reference, but referencing a real-world figure (especially one as radical and personal with her art as Kahlo) can be a bit precarious so the ways in which such references are made, if they are made at all, should be approached with care. I've seen a fair amount of criticism of how Kahlo's artwork has been commodified in recent years (especially how brands like Barbie have appropriated her image while removing challenging elements of it). Your figure, while incredibly well designed, seems to fall prey to some of the perceived offenses levied at some of those other brands—such as by omitting the subtle facial hair many of Kahlo's self-portraits included quite deliberately (in spite of, and perhaps even because of, how that might make people perceive her femininity).

I'm not trying to imply that you had any intention of causing offense, or even that the choices you made were necessarily wrong—after all, sometimes, there is no clear-cut "right answer" when given a choice of how to represent a figure in Lego (a certain amount of abstraction being of course necessary when adapting anything to the cartoonish and iconic minifigure form). And since all of these designs are being done more as a creative exercise rather than a product being actually mass produced, the impact of any sort of perceived misrepresentation is much less than that of an actual major corporation like Mattel or Lego doing the same. But I feel like, as a designer, it's worth at least being aware of the potential pitfalls that come with representing a notable cultural or historic figure, and how the choices you make could be controversial, so that at least those choices can be made with full awareness of how they might be perceived. It's probably no coincidence that of the many CMFs Lego has produced, only a few of them have explicitly represented specific historical figures, given the complexity inherent to many real-life personalities.

18 hours ago, Eggyslav said:

Congrats on your secont front page feature Robert! And here's to many more!

This is only the second time!? *huh* At least we have three more alphabetical series to Frontpage.

13 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Thanks to @Clone OPatra for considering my work for the front page

Every single series should've been on the Frontpage in my opinion!

18 hours ago, Lyichir said:

This latest series of figures you've come up with is really interesting! I especially like the video game streamer!

I'm curious, do you have any other views of the spaceship costume for the space boy? It's a little bit hard to grasp the full dimensionality of it from a front view alone.

I also hope it's not too forward of me to gently critique the painter fig's design.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

I didn't make a different view of the spaceship piece. Sorry. But I estimate it would be similar in size to the airplane from Series 21

About the Painter.... I'm aware of her views on femininity. I tried giving her both more make-up and more facial hair, but LEGO minifigures are inherently cartoonish looking, and it just didn't look good.

TLG uses little dots to depict facial hair, and when I tried that, it looked like a stubble. It literally looked like a dude with make-up.  

Maybe after Series Z, I'll post some content like that: unsused characters, alternate versions I made and never posted, diferent takes on a character I tried before choosing a final design

7 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

This is only the second time!? *huh* At least we have three more alphabetical series to Frontpage.

Every single series should've been on the Frontpage in my opinion!

Thank you very much

I understand that "drawings" are not as relevant as actual MOCs. 

Hi Robert8, I wanted to create another of your wonders and I would like to show it to you. Having to work freehand, she is not as precise as yours, but she approaches her. She hoped you like it.

1628163756536.jpg

1628163756542.jpg

1628163756549.jpg

1628163756554.jpg

We really do need a steampunk theme like ASAP

Thanks for making this again @ARTU

I really appreciate it

WOW! It is really amazing!

I have never seen these ideas for CMFs, Robert8. But I must say, there are so many great ideas. It is hard to choose favourites, I want so many. But that said, due to my interests, I really appreciate both the ancient Egyptians and almost everything Yule/Christmas.

7 hours ago, ARTU said:

Hi Robert8, I wanted to create another of your wonders and I would like to show it to you. Having to work freehand, she is not as precise as yours, but she approaches her. She hoped you like it.

I need that figure right now! Take my money! *oh2*

It’s been a few months since I was logged in and this is the first place I’ve checked out and saw the Sphinx, man it’s been too long.

the alien is great too.

Thanks to everyone who took their time to leave a comment. Deeply appreciate it 

On 8/2/2021 at 12:05 PM, ToaIruini said:

Cymbal Monkey: a fun minifigure with cool new parts. Are the cymbals one piece or two?

The cymbals are separate. I fixed the description now. It only mentioned one

7 hours ago, Robert8 said:

The cymbals are separate. I fixed the description now. It only mentioned one

Got it, thanks!