Robert8

Ideas for CMFs

So many excellent figures...

First off, the obvious. The Monster Hunter is everything I want in an MF tribute. The realm map, the Jack-O’-Lantern Moonstone (perhaps belonging to your headless horseman?) and of course, the disturbing implications of that spoilered image...

Beyond that, I love the slender man, Alraune, dark elf, superheroine, Rosie, Ra, and the outback guy, if for no other reason than that quality kangaroo piece.

Keep up the good work! Can’t wait for august.

Thanks for the comments

1 hour ago, Samus Aran said:

Poison Ivy ?

The Alraune is a creature from german folklore 

I'd assume maybe she was the inspiration for Poison Ivy? 

1 hour ago, Nerd-with-a-Pencil said:

So many excellent figures...

First off, the obvious. The Monster Hunter is everything I want in an MF tribute. The realm map, the Jack-O’-Lantern Moonstone (perhaps belonging to your headless horseman?) and of course, the disturbing implications of that spoilered image...

Thanks!

The Moonstone indeed belongs to the Headless Horseman

The Monster Fighter actually has a (headcannon) backstory I'll post later

2 hours ago, Karalora said:

The Alraune is a creature I was not previously familiar with, and my Google results suggest that she's not quite from folklore, but was the star of a novel based on the more traditional legend of the mandrake root mannequin, and was later adapted as a monster in the Final Fantasy video game series in pretty much the form seen here. Either way, she's a marvelous creation.

Nice to have Ra (or Horus, or Re-Horakhty, or...those Egyptians just could not decide how many gods they had, or which ones were which, could they?) added to the mythology lineup.

Thanks for the kind words.

The Alraune is a creature from German folklore

But she is quite popular in Japan thanks to properties like Yugi-OH

Here are some of the pics I used for reference

Spoiler

Rose Spectre of DunnAlraune - Plant Monster - Pathfinder PFRPG DND D&D 3.5 5E 5th ed d20  fantasy | Plant monster, Fantasy monster, Fantasy dwarfAlraune | Monster pictures, Fantasy races, Fantasy artworkalraune by yogo0 on DeviantArt | Mythical creatures, Dark fantasy art,  Creature art

The Sky Ruler is indeed the Egyptian God Ra

Edited by Robert8

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

The Alraune is a creature from German folklore

But she is quite popular in Japan thanks to properties like Yugi-OH

I didn't have time for an in-depth search this morning and the Wikipedia entry that popped up was about the novel. I thought it might be a case where an obscure bit of folklore was codified by a piece of literature and then fell right back into obscurity.

Oh, my, gosh.... what a great serie, Robert!!!

I rally like Monster Fighter, Alranune, Sky Ruler (Horus?), Factory Worker, Easter Bunny and more!

i have a few quesitons. 

Is that Facotry Worker based off “We can do it!” Poster?

Is Dark Elf based off a mytholical dark elf from Norse mythology? 

I’m not sure if Faceless Man is from a movie or somehing?

"Faceless Man" is an expy of Slenderman, who was invented by someone on the internet as part of a "creepypasta" story. The concept struck a chord and people went on to create web series, at least one video game, and I think also a movie. But he originated online, in a very rare example of constructed folklore where we have the origin point and can trace the development of the legend.

@Lacdaran Well, part of it is surely that he doesn't have a bunch of risk-averse executives breathing down his neck, demanding that his designs conform to very specific focus-test data and also incidentally allow them to get more use of molds that they made for Licensed Theme XYZ. He gets to flex his creative muscles with designs that appeal directly to us AFOLs here because of how well they flesh out existing themes that we love and/or suggest themes that don't exist (yet).

1 hour ago, Karalora said:

"Faceless Man" is an expy of Slenderman, who was invented by someone on the internet as part of a "creepypasta" story. The concept struck a chord and people went on to create web series, at least one video game, and I think also a movie. But he originated online, in a very rare example of constructed folklore where we have the origin point and can trace the development of the legend.

now you mention that! That Faceless Man did seem familiar to me but I could not my finger on it. Then you said it, that’s from internet urban legend! Man, this Faceless Man gave me some goosebumps! 

I've noticed a lot of people would like a Monster Fighters revival. I might try something on LEGO IDEAS at some point....

This is the backstory I created for the Monster Fighter

Some of time ago, the brave Monster Fighter ventured to the Monster Realm by herself. There she encountered the evil Headless Horseman and found out about the moonstones and their power. After defeating him, she destroyed his moonstone. 

She decided to call the rest of her team so they'd collect and destroy the remaining moonstones hidden across the Monster Realm. Unfortunately, while she was on her way out, Lord Vampyre awakened from his centuries-long slumber. The brave Monster Fighter fought him but ended up losing the battle. Lord Vampyre bit her and turned her into his bride. After turning evil, the Vampyre's Bride told him about the moonstones and their power. And that's how the theme started...

Luvlybed.jpg

8 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

I've noticed a lot of people would like a Monster Fighters revival. I might try something on LEGO IDEAS at some point....

This is the backstory I created for the Monster Fighter

Some of time ago, the brave Monster Fighter ventured to the Monster Realm by herself. There she encountered the evil Headless Horseman and found out about the moonstones and their power. After defeating him, she destroyed his moonstone. 

She decided to call the rest of her team so they'd collect and destroy the remaining moonstones hidden across the Monster Realm. Unfortunately, while she was on her way out, Lord Vampyre awakened from his centuries-long slumber. The brave Monster Fighter fought him but ended up losing the battle. Lord Vampyre bit her and turned her into his bride. After turning evil, the Vampyre's Bride told him about the moonstones and their power. And that's how the theme started...

Luvlybed.jpg

I LOVE IT!! :laugh_hard:*oh2*:angel_sing: You could bring so much to an original LEGO action theme! 

That is fantastic! I like the idea of there being more Moonstones. We had that "bonus" one for the zombies, but the set was such a limited release that I never managed to get it (and you should see how much just the zombie Moonstone is going for on BL). So we've got:

• Red: Vampires (bat emblem)
  • Orange: Werewolf (howling wolf emblem)
  • Yellow: Headless Horseman (jack-o-lantern emblem)
  • Neon Yellow-green: Swamp Monster (seaweed emblem)
  • Green: Frankenstein Monster (lightning emblem)
  • Light Blue: Ghosts (ghost emblem)
  • Purple: Mummy (Eye of Horus emblem)
  • Pink: Zombies (erupting grave emblem)

I think dark blue and black would round it out nicely, but I only have an idea for one:

• Dark Blue: ???
  • Black: Skeletons (skull emblem)

I do have one more idea, but I want to hold it back until I've thought about it a bit more and maybe come up with something for that dark blue Moonstone. What monsters are we missing? Hmmmm...

1 hour ago, Karalora said:

I do have one more idea, but I want to hold it back until I've thought about it a bit more and maybe come up with something for that dark blue Moonstone. What monsters are we missing? Hmmmm...

The Invisible Man/Woman was the monster I had in my original idea. The moonstone was going to be gray 

But I didn't like the "emblem" for that. It looked silly and not as spooky as the rest of them

So, I changed it for a more classic Halloween icon and yellow color

5 hours ago, Karalora said:

That is fantastic! I like the idea of there being more Moonstones. We had that "bonus" one for the zombies, but the set was such a limited release that I never managed to get it (and you should see how much just the zombie Moonstone is going for on BL). So we've got:

• Red: Vampires (bat emblem)
  • Orange: Werewolf (howling wolf emblem)
  • Yellow: Headless Horseman (jack-o-lantern emblem)
  • Neon Yellow-green: Swamp Monster (seaweed emblem)
  • Green: Frankenstein Monster (lightning emblem)
  • Light Blue: Ghosts (ghost emblem)
  • Purple: Mummy (Eye of Horus emblem)
  • Pink: Zombies (erupting grave emblem)

I think dark blue and black would round it out nicely, but I only have an idea for one:

• Dark Blue: ???
  • Black: Skeletons (skull emblem)

Maybe dark blue could be some sort of Loch Ness Monster?

5 hours ago, Robert8 said:

The Invisible Man/Woman was the monster I had in my original idea. The moonstone was going to be gray 

But I didn't like the "emblem" for that. It looked silly and not as spooky as the rest of them

So, I changed it for a more classic Halloween icon and yellow color

I considered the Invisible Man: trans-clear, with a dashed outline of a minifigure as the emblem. How similar was yours?

2 hours ago, Natant16 said:

Maybe dark blue could be some sort of Loch Ness Monster?

Something aquatic seems the way to go, but I would want to keep the monsters in that humanoid and human-scale, "standard Halloween" category.

Anyway, we're getting to the point where I should probably start a new thread in the Action/Adventure sub-forum.

53 minutes ago, Karalora said:

I considered the Invisible Man: trans-clear, with a dashed outline of a minifigure as the emblem. How similar was yours?

Exactly

But it looked like teleportation or something. So I dropped the idea

Goodness gracious, what a beautiful collection of figures once again! I am running out of superlatives ... Your work inspires and amazes, per usual. I love the Dark Elf, the Sky Ruler, The Monster Huntress, the Marionette, the Alien Kid ... I mean, really, all of them are just wonderful. I'd collect them all.

I have made the new thread to discuss expanding Monster Fighters, in case anyone wants to participate:

4 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Exactly

But it looked like teleportation or something. So I dropped the idea

Maybe the hat and scarf? Like the cmf you designed without the face bandages. 
Wish I took better care of my LEGO in that era; I managed to get my hand on the zombies set but none of the figures have decent printing anymore...

On 6/2/2021 at 6:28 AM, Robert8 said:

I might try something on LEGO IDEAS at some point....

I would suggest using LEGO World Builder instead. Fun fact, this month LEGO is doing a thing called "Pitch Fest" in which creators can pitch their ideas for potential new LEGO themes directly to LEGO for evaluation, and if they pass, they can secure a pitch meeting with the LEGO Entertainment Team. 

I personally do not believe a Monster Fighters reboot will get very far on LEGO Ideas. 

On 6/2/2021 at 5:08 PM, DarrellBricker said:

Goodness gracious, what a beautiful collection of figures once again! I am running out of superlatives ... Your work inspires and amazes, per usual. I love the Dark Elf, the Sky Ruler, The Monster Huntress, the Marionette, the Alien Kid ... I mean, really, all of them are just wonderful. I'd collect them all.

Thank you!

On 6/10/2021 at 2:44 AM, Lego David said:

I personally do not believe a Monster Fighters reboot will get very far on LEGO Ideas. 

Well.... maybe you're right

On 6/2/2021 at 9:40 PM, Nerd-with-a-Pencil said:

Maybe the hat and scarf? Like the cmf you designed without the face bandages. 
Wish I took better care of my LEGO in that era; I managed to get my hand on the zombies set but none of the figures have decent printing anymore...

That's an option

But it would look a bit too "modern" compared with the other moonstones

Once again this is top, I cant believe how many series you had done.
All of them are impressive. Thanks once again for sharing. :)

Impressive work as always!

My personal super-favorite is the factory worker! She fits right in any 40ties or 50ties theme - she would pass the Diner on her way home from the Corner garage. 

I so much hope that LEGO gets inspired by your excellent work!

On 6/14/2021 at 3:49 PM, Niku said:

Once again this is top, I cant believe how many series you had done.
All of them are impressive. Thanks once again for sharing. :)

I'm surprised myself. With the advent and spooky calendars, I'm up to 26 series *oh2*

I think it's also because my work is usually well received here and IG and Flickr that I feel motivated to keep going

On 6/15/2021 at 11:13 AM, ArneNielsen said:

Impressive work as always!

My personal super-favorite is the factory worker! She fits right in any 40ties or 50ties theme - she would pass the Diner on her way home from the Corner garage. 

I so much hope that LEGO gets inspired by your excellent work!

Thanks!

I think TLG should release more minifigures from those decades