Robert8

Ideas for CMFs

15 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

The next series is around the corner, including a circus character, a grim writer with a raven and a costumed minifigure who has been causing a lot of troubles at certain loch...

While I haven't any specific idea for that first hint, the latter two are most definitely Edgar Allen Poe and a "Nessie" Costume Guy! :classic:

17 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Series Ñ debuts on April 1st :classic:

:caroler: :caroler: :caroler:

On 3/8/2019 at 9:21 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

By the way @Robert8, I know I've made an awful many number of suggestions in between your more recent series, but could you perhaps consider a Rocketeer-type CMF design for a future series? While I know such an archetype may seem too closely tied with the Rocketeer to be considered archetypical, the character does owe his roots to other "rocket-men" of film serials of the 1940's and 1950's, namely Commando Cody for notable instance.

Reveal hidden contents

COMMANDO-CODY-03

Plus, there are a great many directions you can take such a design without being too on-the-nose with the Rocketeer, just look at many of these original fan characters and designs! (Yes, many are indeed inspired after the Rocketeer, but they all try to aesthetically differ from the character to varying degrees:classic:

William Mai's Victoria F. Archer (Three images)

Reveal hidden contents

Victoria F. Archer - Style Experiment by WMDiscovery93

Victoria F. Archer by WMDiscovery93

Grayscale studies by WMDiscovery93

Marvel Comics' The Aviatrix

Reveal hidden contents

1731593-mystery_men___the_aviatrix_by_patrick_zircher.jpg

David Grant's RocketMan (Six suit designs, four helmet designs)

Reveal hidden contents

david-grant-pitch-character-concept2-1-jpg-original.jpg?1456073762

david-grant-pitch-character-concept-1-jpg-original.jpg?1456073760

david-grant-pitch-character-concepthead-jpg-original.jpg?1456073764

david-grant-pitch-character-concepthead3-jpg-original.jpg?1456073769

Daryl Wong's Alternate History Aviator

Reveal hidden contents

daryl-wong-dwjr-aviator-2.jpg?1481028894

Cinemaware's Rocket Ranger Reloaded

Reveal hidden contents

Rocket Ranger - Reloaded!

P.S. Just so you know, this is only a sampling! :wink:

Here's some of that mentioned further artwork as justification for such an archetype. :classic:

Raging Heroes' Jet Girls of Iron Empire

Spoiler

IE-Jet-Girls-sans-macarons_800x.jpg?v=14

Ryan Phair's WWII Rocketeer Helmet (Three images)

Spoiler

IMG_1744.jpg

3D2_processbook2.jpg

3D2_processbook.jpg

Gustavo Barroni's Reconnaissance, an Oil Painting

Spoiler

gustavo-barroni-recoignance.jpg?1498240534

Joel R. Carroll's Rocketeer Redesign (Two images)

Spoiler

Rocketeer by JoelRCarrollAnother Rocketeer by JoelRCarroll

Digitalinkrod's The Mighty Hughes 

Spoiler

The Mighty Hughes character sheet by digitalinkrod

I must confess I find the idea kind of odd but since is coming from you, I'll give it a try

Edited by Robert8

11 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I must confess I find the idea kind of odd but since is coming from you, I'll give it a try

Alright, thanks! :classic:

I must ask though, how do you find the idea odd? Does it still seem too closely tied to the Rocketeer for you to consider it an archetype? :shrug_confused:

On 3/13/2019 at 9:32 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Alright, thanks! :classic:

I must ask though, how do you find the idea odd? Does it still seem too closely tied to the Rocketeer for you to consider it an archetype? :shrug_confused:

I think that archetype is not like that well-known but maybe its just me

13 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I think that archetype is not like that well-known but maybe its just me

Beyond the Rocketeer, yeah, I suppose any variations on the archetype are only seen in lesser-know comics and videogames (even in the sphere of original fan-created character art).

But, besides Rocket-Men, would you consider the "Noir Crimefighter/Vigilante/Masked Avenger" archetype to be much more well know in the public consciousness (as far as "Pulp" archetypes go)? The most prominent example of such is The Shadow, a proto-Batman/Pulp-Era Zorro figure that served as inspiration for the former. Disney's Darkwing Duck, BTAS's The Gray Ghost, and The Green Hornet are a few more direct examples of fictional crimefighters that took more closely after The Shadow as far as caped and/or masked fedora-wearers go. :classic:

17 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Series Ñ coming on April 1st

Hey, that hairpiece for Edgar looks pretty nice (is it a new design?). Plus, what's supposed to be the name of the clown archetype seen in your signature? I like her pink recolor of the Rag Doll hairpiece! :classic:

5 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Hey, that hairpiece for Edgar looks pretty nice (is it a new design?). Plus, what's supposed to be the name of the clown archetype seen in your signature? I like her pink recolor of the Rag Doll hairpiece! :classic:

Yes, it's meant to be a new hairpiece

It's the Clown Girl :purrr:

31275763557_4af884fb47.jpg

3 hours ago, K_Tiger said:

21 hours ago, Karalora said:

17 hours ago, Eggyslav said:

Thanks for your comments and support :classic:

Edited by Robert8

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

Yes, it's meant to be a new hairpiece

It's the Clown Girl :purrr:

Cool! Thanks for the full preview of the latter! :thumbup: :blush:

So, in anticipation of series Ñ, and to follow up on a promise I made years ago and still have yet to fulfill, I figured I'd drop a few of my minifig designs here, since Robert was always intrigued by them. I hope its alright. (A lot of my designs Robert has already made, so there were somewhat slim pickings for this)

First two I made years ago in illustrator, probably the best of the bunch back then:

Spoiler

The Video Game Girl

image.png

Spoiler

And the Alien Invader

image4.jpg

And a few others I could only get down as sketches after I lost access to illustrator (I sincerely apologize for the terrible quality, let me know if you need help with my handwriting):

Spoiler

image7.jpg

Spoiler

image6.jpg

Spoiler

image3.jpg

Spoiler

image1.jpg

Spoiler

image2.jpg

17 minutes ago, Nerd-with-a-Pencil said:

First two I made years ago in illustrator, probably the best of the bunch back then:

Heh, I really dig that Alien Invader design, while that Video Game Girl ironically reminds me of Vanellope von Schweetz:thumbup: :shrug_oh_well:

1 hour ago, Nerd-with-a-Pencil said:

So, in anticipation of series Ñ, and to follow up on a promise I made years ago and still have yet to fulfill, I figured I'd drop a few of my minifig designs here, since Robert was always intrigued by them. I hope its alright. (A lot of my designs Robert has already made, so there were somewhat slim pickings for this)

Thanks for sharing @Nerd-with-a-Pencil Both the Video Game Girl and the Alien Invader look pretty well executed. The alien looks really creepy *huh*

From the others, Classic Villain and Krampus I do have as well, and they look very similar, especially the Classic Villain

Anime Hero is a very interesting concept I never thought of before for a CMF. Well done :thumbup:

6 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Anime Hero is a very interesting concept I never thought of before for a CMF.

Perhaps you should try an Anime-inspired Mecha Pilot more specifically, as a tribute to Lego's Exo-Force theme. :shrug_oh_well:

59 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

From the others, Classic Villain and Krampus I do have as well, and they look very similar, especially the Classic Villain

I can't say I'm surprised; both of them are highly popular character archetypes, with the Classic Villain being really based off of one or two major characters. Still, I'm glad you like them!

13 hours ago, Nerd-with-a-Pencil said:

Still, I'm glad you like them!

Would you be willing to share the others, even if they're based upon archetypes @Robert8 has already covered? :classic:

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Would you be willing to share the others, even if they're based upon archetypes @Robert8 has already covered? :classic:

Are you willing to put up with more of my chicken scratches, that's the real question

Probably, but it'll most likely be in a different thread; I don't wanna upstage anyone.

I love that Pirate King design, Nerd ... that beard would be EPIC!!! 

And Robert ... Good GOD, man, that Edgar Allen Poe ... swoon! So incredible!

21 hours ago, Nerd-with-a-Pencil said:

Are you willing to put up with more of my chicken scratches, that's the real question

Probably, but it'll most likely be in a different thread; I don't wanna upstage anyone.

Ah, so are the Video Game Girl and Alien Invader ideas the only two renders you have left that are fleshed-out more thoroughly through Illustrator? Still, I'd be quite interested in seeing any of your other less-refined pencil sketches. :classic:

On 5/14/2016 at 11:57 PM, Robert8 said:

SERIES O

31281443647_8813f49a06_n.jpg

Oh my goodness! I'm so excited to see what's new in the world of Roberto's CMF's!