Robert8

Ideas for CMFs

Hey Roberto,  great new minifig designs, as always.
The Giraffe Guy from the New CMF LEGO Movie 2 Series seems to resemble very much like your Series A Giraffe Guy. The Dragon Suit guy from Series 18 is also similar. Does TLG give you any credit or do they just copy your ideas? Why not sell them the designs or do a cooperation with TLG? I would rather see your minifigs then this constant BS of licensed minifigs. You keep everything classical, with 16 minifigs per pack and a good box distribution as it should be. Miss the times when a bag cost 1.99€.

1 hour ago, R0Sch said:

Hey Roberto,  great new minifig designs, as always.
The Giraffe Guy from the New CMF LEGO Movie 2 Series seems to resemble very much like your Series A Giraffe Guy. The Dragon Suit guy from Series 18 is also similar. Does TLG give you any credit or do they just copy your ideas? Why not sell them the designs or do a cooperation with TLG? I would rather see your minifigs then this constant BS of licensed minifigs. You keep everything classical, with 16 minifigs per pack and a good box distribution as it should be. Miss the times when a bag cost 1.99€.

I imagine it is coincidence.

Thanks for bringing that up. You are not the first one asking me this. 

I do think it's a coincidence. It has to be. Giraffes and Dragons are very "common" animals/creatures for costumes, etc. 

Besides, LEGO has a staff of profesional designers and I don't really think they need to steal from someone else. Also. I don't really think they have seen any of this.

About working for them/with them, well I don't really think they "need" me. Besides, I can't: I know nothing about graphic design. I'm an amateur. This is just "fanart" so to speak. To work with LEGO I would need at least a dregee on graphic design. And I have one but on chemistry. I don't they need a scientist to design minifigures :laugh:

And let's be honest: what I do is really subpar compared with what LEGO designers do. I appreciate and love all the nice comments here, and flickr, Instagram, emal, PM, etc and I like to know people like what I do but we have to live in reality, these are nowhere near to what LEGO do. 

With the release of Series 19, I'm sure we'll see more of these coincidences. I plan to post Series N, Ñ, O, P and Q before CMF S19 is released. All of those series are finished and ready to be posted and with that there will be more than 250 ideas in this thread. I'm sure there will be at least one coincidence in Series 19. Gymanst, Philosopher and Mrs Claus are some of the characters I think are very likely to appear in real LEGO form but that doesn't mean LEGO stole them from me or anything like that

On 12/24/2018 at 7:13 AM, paupadros said:

Amazing! Every new series from Lego I get the feeling there's not much more that has not been done, but I'm always proven wrong by you! Both the "Pizza Man" and the "Amusment Park Guy" are awesome and probably the best. I'm still stoked Lego hasn't produced the hat from the Gondolier, here awesomely reused. I love Lady Justice too. Quinceañera's hair and your verison of David's Napoleon are pieces I absolutely adore. Beyond particular cases, I absolutely love your continuous pursue of originality but of fesibility too. Your work is spectacular! :sweet: I designed a custom Bowie figure for my latest modular and boy I've learnt to appreciate work like yours better!

Thanks paupadros

Sorry for the late reply, but the notification system isn't working for me :wacko:

That painting was very challenging to do. Though I don't really know if LEGO can print that much in a 3x2 tile. 

There will be at least 4 more famous paintings in upcoming series. :classic: 

Edited by Robert8

While we wait for Series N to come in a couple of weeks, please check my first licensed series ever:

19 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

While we wait for Series N to come in a couple of weeks, please check my first licensed series ever:

Superb work @Robert8:thumbup: I may not be the biggest of NFL fans, but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a hypothetical limited-run CMS like this with all those new hairpieces and face prints. :classic:

P.S. Will you be accounting any of these new molds for future series, speaking of such? :shrug_confused:

Edited by Digger of Bricks

On 1/18/2019 at 3:46 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Superb work @Robert8:thumbup: I may not be the biggest of NFL fans, but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a hypothetical limited-run CMS like this with all those new hairpieces and face prints. :classic:

P.S. Will you be accounting any of these new molds for future series, speaking of such? :shrug_confused:

Thank you @Digger of Bricks.

Nope. This series and its sequel are not part of this "line". They are their own thing. 

10 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Thank you @Digger of Bricks.

Nope. This series and its sequel are not part of this "line". They are their own thing. 

Ah, alright! It's fantastic to see your work getting the exposure it has recently, culminating in requests from others for commission work! :thumbup: :blush:

eh, it's only been over a month since these came out (I'm really sorry, I've had a lot on my plate with school and the holidays; here we go):

Slime Monster

"Maybe...you...be...friend?"

It's not hard to trick or fool the Slime Monster; after all, he was born yesterday. After escaping the lab that created him, he's been on the loose, roaring and rampaging through anything in his way...at least, that's what the lab says. In reality, hes been wandering through the city alone, learning new things and trying to make friends. He truly means no wrong; all he wants is a little companionship. But since he's heard those lab reports calling him a monstrous beast, he's been wondering--is he really a hideous monster?

Orc

"Eh, it's alroight oi suppose...prob'ly shouldn' say i' in fron' of da boss, do....we don' even 'ave dental."

This Orc is one of many, a rank and file soldier in the armies of the Chaos Lord, working to spread entropy and terror over the land. Ask him about the job, and he'll tell you it pays the bills, and in the end, that's what matters, right? Probe a little deeper, and you'll find he is deeply unsatisfied with this career choice. From a young age, he's been little more than cannon fodder, sent into battle against the greatest of warriors with little regard for life or limb. On top of that, the food is always stale and he only gets three days vacation a year! He's practically rooting for the other side to slay the Chaos Lord, so he can finally pursue his dream career as an actuary.

Dont worry @Nerd-with-a-Pencil. You dont need to apologize. I appreciate it a lot.

As usual, your bios are super creative and fun to read. 

On 1/20/2019 at 6:43 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Ah, alright! It's fantastic to see your work getting the exposure it has recently, culminating in requests from others for commission work! :thumbup: :blush:

Thanks Im already working on 2 more licensed series after the NFLs

By the way, Ive updated the thread with shortcuts to go from one series to the next one

Also, the first post is updated with the whole 2019 line-up

Just now, Robert8 said:

Thanks Im already working on 2 more licensed series after the NFLs

Awesome!!! :sweet: Presumably, will they be based on licensed properties?

Just now, Robert8 said:

Also, the first post is updated with the whole 2019 line-up

Heck yeah, would you look at that... :drool: ...Series N through Series S, plus an Advent Calendar! 

But, what's SERIES Ñ*huh* :shrug_confused:

Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

Awesome!!! :sweet: Presumably, will they be based on licensed properties?

Heck yeah, would you look at that... :drool: ...Series N through Series S, plus an Advent Calendar! 

But, what's SERIES Ñ*huh* :shrug_confused:

Im a spanish native speaker and in spanish we have an extra letter called ñ between lettersand o. So I decided to include it to get an extra series. I have a lot more of figures than the ones I need to complete the the thread up to Series Z. And that's also why I decided to make an advent calendar. There is also another project that includes 16 minifigures but I dont want to talk about it for now. 

Just now, Robert8 said:

Im a spanish native speaker and in spanish we have an extra letter called ñ between lettersand o. So I decided to include it to get an extra series. I have a lot more of figures than the ones I need to complete the the thread up to Series Z. And that's also why I decided to make an advent calendar. 

More archetypes than the alphabet can handle eh? Sweet... :thumbup: :devil_laugh:

Just now, Robert8 said:

There is also another project that includes 16 minifigures but I dont want to talk about it for now. 

Oooooh, most intriguing... :oh:

Damn, the Men in Black?! Pretty ingenious idea for an archetype if you ask me, and it's not as specific as I would've figured it'd be. :thumbup: :smug:

Looking most forwards to the rest of the Series you've teased! :grin: 

44335796670_4b2055935c_n.jpg

On 1/9/2019 at 10:12 AM, Robert8 said:

About working for them/with them, well I don't really think they "need" me. Besides, I can't: I know nothing about graphic design. I'm an amateur. This is just "fanart" so to speak. To work with LEGO I would need at least a dregee on graphic design. And I have one but on chemistry. I don't they need a scientist to design minifigures :laugh:

And let's be honest: what I do is really subpar compared with what LEGO designers do. I appreciate and love all the nice comments here, and flickr, Instagram, emal, PM, etc and I like to know people like what I do but we have to live in reality, these are nowhere near to what LEGO do. 

I appreciate the humility, but don't sell yourself short.  Many of the designs you've created are as good or better than many official minfigures.  While a job with LEGO is likely as much of a pipe dream for you as it is for most of us, your works are definitely of a professional / official caliber, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear about you getting paid for your designs.

9 hours ago, x105Black said:

I appreciate the humility, but don't sell yourself short.  Many of the designs you've created are as good or better than many official minfigures. 

Yeah, this here. They might need the LEGO "polish", but you've more than proven you're a deft hand at minifigure design.

A Man In Black and a counterpart to one of my favorite of your CMF designs?
This is gonna be a Good series.

Also, bringing some more bios for ya:
Pizza Man

"I've talked like-a dis for six years-a! I cannot-a even remember how I use-a to talk!"

The Pizza Man is a plain fellow who had a rather odd job description; a mascot for a local pizza parlor, his manager thought it would be funny if they made him go the extra mile and basically act like a big old Italian stereotype 24/7. The kids loved it, but it kinda put off most of the adults, especially the Pizza Man himself. It isn't very sensitive, he sounds ridiculous, and the mustache is really itchy. When the pizza shop shut down, and the Pizza Man was free to pursue whatever career he desired, his endeavors tended to crash and burn, since he was still subconsciously speaking with an outrageous fake accent. It seems only time will tell if he will be able to shake off these bizarre habits...

Mrs. Santa

"Did you remember your mittens? Keys? Spare plate of cookies?"

Mrs. Santa is Santa Claus' doting wife. When Santa watches for niceness and peace in the world, she's content to keep the North Pole warm and make treats for her husband and their diligent Elven employees, of warm clothes, or hot sweets. In recent years, she's been more and more worried about Santa forgetting important tools and other things on his most important trip, and always makes sure to make extras and spares of everything he may need along the voyage. Though it might seem annoying, Santa knows her heart is in the right place.

Super Kid

"Up, up, and away!"

The Super Kid is something of a handful. Utterly infatuated with the concept of superheroes and superpowers, he's been trying all he can to get some of his own. Whether it be playing outside in a lightning storm, Looking in caves or crashed spaceships for powerful artifacts, or begging the Wizard to teach him the secrets of magical power, rest assured his parents have a lot on their plate to deal with. For all of his rambunctiousness and disregard for safety, he truly wants to be a hero, and knows what that means; when he's not trying to get his superpowers, he's doing all he can to rescue cats, aid ladies in crossing the street, and doing his best to help those who need it the most.

20 hours ago, x105Black said:

I appreciate the humility, but don't sell yourself short.  Many of the designs you've created are as good or better than many official minfigures.

10 hours ago, K_Tiger said:

Yeah, this here. They might need the LEGO "polish", but you've more than proven you're a deft hand at minifigure design.

Thank you so much :classic:

@Nerd-with-a-Pencil hahaha for a second there I thought Super Kid was going to scream Shazam! But Super Kid is about to get busy here... I mean, every superhero needs a foe, right?

Mrs. Santa's bio is jus lovely. 

Thanks for your time and effort. 

14 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

OMG you guys, @Robert8's Series N has leaked over on Flickr!!! :thumbup: :head_back: 

And it's pretty much all killer and no filler.:thumbup:

Everything Is Awesome because here is Series N!

46908906592_773b3ac261_o.png

NOTE. I'm playing to be The LEGO Group here, so I'm taking the new pieces from Series A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L and M as already introduced pieces. :wink:

Spoiler

32047940808_7a59e0896c.jpg37566842595_6f583a17fb.jpg25164047857_c64185f0d4.jpg28311216939_e1158d59cf.jpg25828854998_e298be4ed6.jpg32582596490_d0873a9e3a.jpg34037664720_96149ce5c1.jpg35031413202_e4b5fa12eb.jpg25689065107_e5440f5425.jpg38318000401_4db17ec656.jpg40279478691_1a9fca644e.jpg43558941024_681a6c9302.jpg45444919811_27a696d92b.jpg

With 16 all-new, special minifigures in Series N, the Minifigures Collection continues to grow. Each minifigure comes in a sealed ‘mystery’ bag with one or more accessories, display plate and collector’s booklet. Inspired by movies, history and just everyday life, this collection includes Saree Girl, Mounted Policeman, Supervillain, Toddler Girl, Alien Tracker, Witch Doctor, Flying Man, Eskimo, Android, Jungle Girl, Jousting Knight, Cosplayer, Groom, Bandito, Zombie Woman, Cricket Player.

1. Saree Girl

Part assortment (4 pieces): Padme Amidala's bun hairpiece. Slope piece. Regular head and torso. New cloth element

44325514810_d44738a9f5_o.png

2. Flying Man

Part assortment (4 pieces): New right arm+wing. New left arm+wing. Frodo's hairpiece. Regular head and legs.

44325515100_43f590ff49_o.png

3. Android

Part assortment (4 pieces): New robotic dog piece. Moulded head introduced with Series F Android Woman.  Regular torso and legs.

44325515320_c963529a36_o.png

4. Cosplayer

Part assortment (5 pieces): New Unikitty mask. New Unikitty tail.  Regular head, torso and legs.

45230646045_47f8caacd7_o.png

5. Alien Tracker

Part assortment (8 pieces): Alien creature (Alien clinger+regular head). Fedora. The laser gun piece. Light Cover with Bar piece. Regular head, torso and legs.

31203014257_cf90750f79_o.png

6. Jungle Girl

Part assortment (6 pieces): New snake piece. Spear piece. The Series 3 Hula Girl's hairpiece. Regular head, torso and legs.

45230645265_b22045a95d_o.png

7. Groom

Part assortment (6 pieces): Series 17 Yuppie's hairpiece. 2x2 printed tile with wedding pic. TLBM Penguin's hat. Regular head, torso and legs.

44325515030_1136b73562_o.png

8. Supervillain

Part assortment (9 pieces): New hairpiece. Laser gun with laser beam piece. 1x1 printed tile with superpower (x3). Regular head, torso and legs. Short collar cloth piece introduced with the Series H Rock n' Roller. Cape

45230645085_1137604eb8_o.png

EXTRA PIC! Super evil powers!

Spoiler

45230644915_f093372631_o.png

9. Jousting Knight

Part assortment (7 pieces): New microscale horse piece. Series 15 Frightening Knight's helmet. Jousting spear introduced with the Series K Jouster. Round small shield. Regular head, torso and legs.

45230645485_72a69752d6_o.png

10. Toddler Girl

Part assortment (6 pieces): Maggie Simpson's torso recolored. 1x1 printed tile. Spoon and bowl introduced with TLNM. 2 heads. 

.44325514650_a728cc1499_o.png

EXTRA PIC! Alternate head

Spoiler

44325514580_f2013fb891.jpg

11. Bandito

Part assortment (7 pieces): Mexican big hat. TNT piece with special printing. Pistol (x2). Regular head, torso and legs. Cloth piece introduced with the Series I Rogue Woman.

45230646185_165005264d_o.png

12. Zombie Woman

Part assortment (9 pieces): New withered flower piece (x3). Stem piece. Aquaman's hairpiece. Dog piece recolored. Regular head, torso and legs. New tattered cloth skirt

45230644435_2f5d66cbdb_o.png

13. Cricket Player

Part assortment (7 pieces): New cricket bat. Stud as a cricket ball. S4 Hockey Player's face guard piece and helmet. Regular head, torso and legs. 

45230645935_f772977451_o.png

14. Mounted Policeman

Part assortment (6 pieces): New beaver piece. Binoculars. Campaign Hat. Regular head, torso and legs. 

45230645175_f596e9b77d_o.png

15. Eskimo

Part assortment (5 pieces): New seal piece. New parka with hair combo piece. Regular head, torso and legs. Cloth skirt piece.

45230645815_751385e8a2_o.png

16. Witch Doctor

Part assortment (8 pieces): New ceremonial mask piece. New ceremonial collar piece. Scepter (baby head+feathers piece with clip+3L bar). Regular head, torso and legs. New (printed) cloth piece similar to the S14 Specter's.

45230644625_c9c5722743_o.png

Series N Color: Dark cyan

44335796380_7a21ea5bba_o.png

Series N would introduce 15 new pieces: Right and left winged arms, microscale horse, snake, seal, beaver, robotic dog, Unikitty tail and mask, withered flower, ceremonial mask, ceremonial collar, Supervillain's hairpiece, cricket bat and parka+hair piece.

45429056654_74139a0ecf_c.jpg

Bag:

44335796780_00fe1de048_o.png

Leaflet:

46152837771_9b7bece61a_c.jpg

Box Distribution (60 minifigures):

46152841141_e8801f6ef3_c.jpg

So, this is Series N! :laugh:

Thanks for looking. 

46102297932_7021775fac_b.jpg

Series Ñ is next. Coming on early April :classic:

SERIES M                                                                                                                                                             SERIES Ñ45392839472_a99f07b940_n.jpg                                                                31281442037_b0d70f64cc_n.jpg                                                                  

Edited by Robert8

Hey Roberto, I really like what you do and would like to share may ideas with you. Here is my first series:

Series 1:

Beekeeper- New Beekeeper Helmet, Regular Head, Torso & Legs 

Anubis- Egyptian Sword, New Shield Piece, Anubis Head, Regular Torso & Legs

Farmer’s Wife- New Hat-Hair Combo, Chicken, Goat, Bucket, Regular Head, Torso & Legs

Sniper Assassin- New Hair Piece, New Sniper Rifle, Ninjago Sword Holder, Silver Katana (x2), Regular Head, Torso & Legs

Treasure Hunter- New Hair Piece, Treasure Map, Pistol, Satchel, Regular Torso, Head & Legs

Super Hacker- New Hair-Mask Combo, Laptop, Regular Head, Torso & Legs

Fire Mech- Regular Head, Torso & Legs, New Helmet Piece, New Gun Piece

Square Head Boy- Short Legs,  Regular Torso, Minecraft Head Reprinted, Compass & Toy Sword 

Zombie Chef- Regular Torso, Head & Legs, Chef Hat, Frying Pan & Meat Cleaver

Blacksmith- New Hair Piece, Hammer, Sword, Regular Torso, Head & Legs

Geisha- LEGO Ninjago Movie Misako's Hair Piece Recolored, Regular Head, Torso & Legs, Golden Sai & Golden Ninja Star

Dragon Slayer- New Helmet, New Shield, Long Sword, Regular Torso, Head & Legs

Rice Farmer- Medium Legs, Regular Head & Torso, Medieval Farmer Backpack Piece, Grass Piece, New Sickle Piece, Sensei Wu Hat Piece 

Comedian- Regular Head, Torso & Legs, Combed Hair Piece, Microphone, New Bottled Water Piece

Bike Racer (Cyclist)- Regular Head, Torso & Legs, New Bike Helmet Piece

Apocalyptic Survivor- Regular Head Torso & Legs, LEGO Ninjago Lloyd Hair Piece in Black, Baseball Bat & Pistol

If u guys like my ideas I can post a more descriptive version with prints and stuff

Edited by Drew15

Nice job!

I really wanted to write the Zombie Woman's bio, maybe have a joke about her dog digging up a fellow zombie or something, but I'm drawing a blank. If anyone else is up for it, go right ahead.

As I've shared over on Flickr, my standout favorites from this series are the Mounted Policeman and the Saree Girl, with honorable mention for your female counterparts to Lego's Series 5 Eskimo and Series 7 Jungle Boy CMFs! And, like I'd said there too, your Supervillain is this series' most unusually delightful surprise! :thumbup: :wub:

Damn, it's going to be quite hard waiting until April for your Series Ñ... :purrr:

6 hours ago, Robert8 said:

8. Supervillain

Part assortment (9 pieces): New hairpiece. Laser gun with laser beam piece. 1x1 printed tile with superpower (x3). Regular head, torso and legs. Short collar cloth piece introduced with the Series H Rock n' Roller. Cape

Speaking of such, is that supposed to be a new shade of green introduced for this archetype, or is it just simply Olive Green? :shrug_confused:

3 hours ago, Drew15 said:

Hey Roberto, I really like what you do and would like to share may ideas with you. Here is my first series:

Series 1:

Those are some excellent ideas @Drew15:thumbup: Might I suggest sharing them over at this topic too! :wink:

3 hours ago, Drew15 said:

If u guys like my ideas I can post a more descriptive version with prints and stuff

By that, do you mean renders/illustrations?! :oh3:

Edited by Digger of Bricks