Oky

[MAZE] Cat A - Escape From Jakku

26407021854_fabaae1a1e_z.jpg

Maze: Escape From Jakku by Okay Yaramanoglu, on Flickr

BB-8 has been given part of a map that leads to Luke Skywalker and it is now up to him to deliver it to the Resistance! Play as BB-8 as you roll through the deserts of the junkyard planet Jakku and escape the clutches of the First Order. But watch out for patches of quicksand or you'll drown! You start at Tuanul village which is under attack by the First Order. Navigate through the Graveyard of Giants past a crashed Star Destroyer. Meet up with Rey at her AT-AT home, travel past a crashed X-Wing and some other wreckage, and enter Niima Outpost where you meet Finn and escape in the garbage Millennium Falcon!

26979134256_85a862bbb9_z.jpg

26918539062_5c9b17bfc2_z.jpg

26979133826_2867cf5893_z.jpg

26407021614_07db218253_z.jpg

26979133606_da67ef0fd2_z.jpg

The LDD file can be downloaded here: Jakku maze.lxf

UPDATE: It has been pointed out to me that the maze ball needs a space of 5 plates high to fit through instead of the 4-plates high space that I used, so here is a modified version of the maze to accommodate that. I lifted up the AT-AT, Millennium Falcon, outpost entrance, and outpost building by one plate each.

Here is the updated LXF: Jakku maze fix1.lxf

27155729255_e04af4ed65_z.jpg

Please leave your thoughts below and may the force be with you! :classic:

That's pretty cool, but I didn't think you could do multiple entries? :look:

One entry per member and per category.
Edited by mediumsnowman

The force is very strong with this one, awesome entry!

Thanks!

That's pretty cool, but I didn't think you could do multiple entries? :look:

Thank you, but I think you're forgetting about the second part of that rule. :wink:

You can enter all categories with different entries, but you'll be eligible to receive only one prize.

Wait, really?? We can have multiple entries? Oh yes! :laugh:

Awesome entry by the way, I love how you did the AT-AT legs! :sweet: You are making some pretty awesome entries.

Edited by CM4Sci

Thank you, but I think you're forgetting about the second part of that rule. :wink:

Hmm, I was interpreting that to mean you can enter both Cat A and Cat B, but you can only win in one of those categories.

This is a fantastic build! I like the idea of actually playing as BB-8 and recreating the story in maze form.

Brilliant idea and execution but is there enough clearance for the ball to go underneath the bridge bits? Unless you're using an alternative ball.

Hmm, I was interpreting that to mean you can enter both Cat A and Cat B, but you can only win in one of those categories.

You're interpreting it right. You can enter one entry for each category. In case you win in both categories, you'll only receive one prize.

Lots of clever Star Wars details packed in here :thumbup: Having the base be mainly sand works well with the tan border too :classic:

You can enter one entry for each category. In case you win in both categories, you'll only receive one prize.

Really? Darn. I was so sure I interpreted it correctly, but I guess that makes sense. Oh well.

I thought "You can enter all categories with different entries" meant that You can enter each category with different entries, but look like you were right.

Awesome entry by the way, I love how you did the AT-AT legs! :sweet: You are making some pretty awesome entries.

Thanks! I got the idea for the legs from the Battle of Hoth board game. Your entries are great too. Sorry to get your hopes up on the multiple entries thing. Just wait until you see my Cat B entry! :wink:

This looks marvelous—all sorts of fantastic detailing!

Thank you! I tried to make it as detailed as possible at this scale.

This is a fantastic build! I like the idea of actually playing as BB-8 and recreating the story in maze form.

Thanks! I used the story as a guide for the layout of the maze and having the ball be BB-8 just seemed like an obvious choice. :grin: If this maze was actually produced, I would imagine the ball to have BB-8's ball pattern.

Brilliant idea and execution but is there enough clearance for the ball to go underneath the bridge bits? Unless you're using an alternative ball.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but the soccer ball seems to fit into a 4-plate high space in LDD, so I assume so. If anyone wants to check if that is the case in real life, please let me know if it doesn't work and I'll modify my entry to accommodate that.

Lots of clever Star Wars details packed in here :thumbup: Having the base be mainly sand works well with the tan border too :classic:

Indeed! The fact that the original maze already looked a bit like Jakku may have been an inspiration for this entry.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but the soccer ball seems to fit into a 4-plate high space in LDD, so I assume so. If anyone wants to check if that is the case in real life, please let me know if it doesn't work and I'll modify my entry to accommodate that.

My Maze arrived today, I won't build it until later but I had time to check if the ball was 5 plates high / 2 studs wide (which was the impression I got from downloading the instructions) - and it is just under (deliberately most likely). 4 plates won't fit, but 5 will with just enough room to move. So you need 5 plates between the top of the tile and the underside of the obstacle.

My Maze arrived today, I won't build it until later but I had time to check if the ball was 5 plates high / 2 studs wide (which was the impression I got from downloading the instructions) - and it is just under (deliberately most likely). 4 plates won't fit, but 5 will with just enough room to move. So you need 5 plates between the top of the tile and the underside of the obstacle.

Poodoo. I guess I'll have to modify it. Thanks for the info.

I have added a picture of the updated maze to the first post. It takes a long time to render these pictures, so I hope it's okay if I don't re-render every angle.

Very well done. Just downloaded the file. Thanks.

Thanks. Please make sure to download the updated LXF as well.

I think it looks awesome! Great work Oky! :thumbup:

Thank you and welcome to EB! :classic:

Incredible! You've packed so many awesome details in here. You have my vote.

Thank you!

Looks amazing. Not the best build for the garbage, But it will do. :wink:

Thanks. Do you have any suggestions to improve the build? I haven't seen any design at this scale that I'm completely happy with.

Thank you!

Thanks. Do you have any suggestions to improve the build? I haven't seen any design at this scale that I'm completely happy with.

I dont think it can be improved its amazing.

Very nice maze, I really like your miniatures and how you build the track so ball have to run beneath them (AT-AT, Star Destroyer)

Great, style, awesome micro-builds, great colour scheme... and it all comes with a cool little story as well. The only thing I think is slightly unfortunate is that part of the plate doesn't seem to be part of the Maze parkour. Or is it possible to move a ball below the Star Destroyer?

I dont think it can be improved its amazing.

Very nice maze, I really like your miniatures and how you build the track so ball have to run beneath them (AT-AT, Star Destroyer)

Woah! Nice work! I know what entry I'm using my votes on!

Thank you!

Great, style, awesome micro-builds, great colour scheme... and it all comes with a cool little story as well. The only thing I think is slightly unfortunate is that part of the plate doesn't seem to be part of the Maze parkour. Or is it possible to move a ball below the Star Destroyer?

As a matter of fact, it is! If you look closely at the pictures, you will see that the ISD is tilted so that there is just enough space for the ball to roll under the starboard side of it.