Richpepperell

[MOC] [WIP] Victims of the Almighty Sarlacc

Before I start, let me just give total credit to the amazing dioramaby markus1984. When I first decided to start this MOC, I did a quick search of the forum to see what was about, and once I'd seen his amazing creation, it was hard to get it out of my mind. That said, I haven't intentionally lifted or ripped off anything from it (other than the point I mention) - both his and my creation are obviously lifted from ROTJ.

Anyhows, the battle above the Sarclacc has always been one of my favourite scenes from ROTJ, and as I'd recently picked up a cheap 75020, I thought I needed something to display it. I did a big tan/teeth bricklink order without any definite plans and just ordered a load of pieces that I thought would be needed. The result...

27009990075_093c26d926_z.jpg

As with all my MOCs, I go more for the spirit of the scene rather than being screen accurate. The first thing you'll notice is no beak. I'm not a special edition hater, but the Sarlacc beak is one thing I really dont like - it changes the whole thing from the Mouth of Hell into Little Shop of Horrors - hence it doesn't make an appearance here.

The biggest challenge here is the 'pit' nature of the build - I decided to go with a more volcano vibe (but this is going to change in the future I suspect). A build like this would obviously require a lot of tan back-filling, so I decided to use a technique I first saw suggested by Jang on YouTube (which may or may not be frowned upon here)... Duplo!

26406010653_001e69bd36_z.jpg

26915770582_e304c5d6eb_z.jpg

Using this technique just saves time/bricks in a big way, and helped this move along much quicker. My original plan had been to attach the teeth using the 11090 bar holder with clip and attach that to concealed rails and poles. After looking at markus1984s work, I'm guessing that this is what he's done - which just means the next level up has a lot more to 'bite' on so to speak.

When the 2 rows of teeth were complete, and the unseen brick shaping was finished, I started on the sand dune slopes that make up the side of the pit. I wanted to ensure at least one slope had a fairly shallow gradient in order that minifigures could be pulled in by the tentacles (there were originally 5 tentacles but it looked a bit overloaded).

26941571221_fa5b36caf4_z.jpg

With slopes done, it was cladding time - covering up the exposed structure,

26915766302_0ee565cda8_z.jpg

26404227144_10f7d6e752_z.jpg

Of course the inevitable happened, I ran out of tan bricks, which means a section of the rear is currently still uncovered (can I claim this is following the example of the UCS Ion Cannon?!?). I added more after this image but you get the idea.

26405971683_a65a809beb_z.jpg

I'm not usually someone who insists on everything being tile-smooth, but it seemed appropriate to add tiles here to smooth out the sand effect. You can also see the beginnings of the final 'ground level' for the rear side of the MOC to the right of this image.

26976471296_e8709c6f51_z.jpg

So that's where I currently am. Next steps - build up the ground level to the brim of the pit on at least 2 sides ensuring all sides are covered and also to add more tiling to smooth things out.

26735970310_ce2ee95f63_z.jpg

27009990075_093c26d926_z.jpg

Of course, I couldn't resist a few action shots too!

26405968623_4927f349f3_z.jpg

26976484036_8fe8c2f507_z.jpg

"Wait! I thought you were blind!" (Thanks to Winston Zeddemore for the face!)

27009977535_3c4383e1d2_z.jpg

All comments and suggestions encouraged! Thanks for looking!

Nothing wrong with Duplo! And I know what you mean about going for the "feel" of a scene rather than trying to replicate every detail, and I think you've captured this feel very nicely. The last few photos really do it justice. :classic:

I hate the beak too! One of my favorite scenes as well. Now make it bigger and add Jabba's sailship ;-)

Great job! I never would have guessed there was Duplo under there. The last shot is great. :wub: can't wait to see the finished product! :sweet:

I like this, didn't know you could use Duplo like that. My favourite part is the comment about the Assault on Hoth Ion cannon :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That looks great, the Duplo trick bulks it up nicely! And yes, I hate the beak too. Disney really need to release an un screwed about with OT

Edited by Flandy

Nice. This is a masterwork of a display base. The use of Duplo is awesome! I'm totally gonna do that the next time I need filler brick.

Very impressive work so far, like all the others I had no idea that you could use Duplo in a way like this so that is definately interesting. Looking forward to seeing this one develop!