Daniel-Technic

Monorail, will it return?

If all else fails, use a 3-D printer to create monorail tracks.

Road signs are still around, but they are way different from the road signs of the 1970s, 1980s and early 1990s where the sign was part of the base. The signs used today consist of clips in the shapes of squares, triangles, circles, and octagons that clip to a separate road sign base.

Edited by Justin

If all else fails, use a 3-D printer to create monorail tracks.

Road signs are still around, but they are way different from the road signs of the 1970s, 1980s and early 1990s where the sign was part of the base. The signs used today consist of clips in the shapes of squares, triangles, circles, and octagons that clip to a separate road sign base.

Someone tried using a 3D printer to make monorail track. The results were less than satisfactory. We often fail to appreciate the incredible precision and extremely tight tolerances engineered into every Lego part. The monorail track required a high degree of precision. Current consumer 3D printers just can't hit that level yet.

Someone tried using a 3D printer to make monorail track. The results were less than satisfactory. We often fail to appreciate the incredible precision and extremely tight tolerances engineered into every Lego part. The monorail track required a high degree of precision. Current consumer 3D printers just can't hit that level yet.

I think tolerances are good enough, not fantastic but workable. The person has a

of monorail running on the printed track. Tolerance problems can come from the 3D printing service polishing the parts smooth which can remove some material. You could adjust your 3D object file to account for that.

It's $45 to print a straight monorail track piece from Shapeways. *oh2* It can be cheaper if you have your own printer. But you still have to spend time cleaning up the part after it comes out of the printer. Easier to buy some used from Bricklink.

It's $45 to print a straight monorail track piece from Shapeways. *oh2*

I think you would be better off just buying real parts. :laugh:

3-D Printing should only be used as a last resort. Buying authentic parts would be the best way to go (if available).

Well, I honestly really hope that someday we´ll get a true Lego monorail. Who knows, maybe this whole Lego Disney partnership could eventually result in a small Disney monorail. I'd be very happy if that happened, assuming the new system does look like a monorail.

Edited by BrickHat

There is a seller that has 3D printed Monorail tracks and few other parts. I am not connected to the seller: http://www.ebay.com/sch/4dbrixshop/m.html?item=272269707705&hash=item3f648a09b9%3Ag%3Ap2wAAOSw9eVXU1Nm&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

At about $12.50 per long straight, it is far cheaper than genuine LEGO and would be an option for whoever likes LEGO Monorail and doesn't mind mixing in a little bit of non-LEGO element to save on money.

I am interested in his extender, no more tow ball connector to extend my Monorail train.

On 5/17/2016 at 5:02 PM, Calanon said:

During the last EB visit to Billund we were told that Lego experimented with a new monorail design with children but it proved to not be very popular with them at all. It's not going to come back.

Interesting. Does anyone have pictures or a description of what this prototype monorail looked like? I would love to know. :sweet:

I don't think it will, Lego has train tracks.

Also, if it did return, monorail won't have as much WOW factor :tongue:.

4 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

I don't think it will, Lego has train tracks.

Also, if it did return, monorail won't have as much WOW factor :tongue:.

Yes they are an old concept but I've always liked them :grin:. Hey, what if Lego made a Maglev? That would be cool!!!

39 minutes ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Yes they are an old concept but I've always liked them :grin:. Hey, what if Lego made a Maglev? That would be cool!!!

That would be very cool! I don't know how Lego would make them though...

2 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

That would be very cool! I don't know how Lego would make them though...

Yea, it would be hard to get the weight right in order for it to operate correctly. And that means that there would be very little room for options in the case of MOC's. :cry_sad:

On 19.5.2017 at 3:08 AM, LegoMonorailFan said:

Interesting. Does anyone have pictures or a description of what this prototype monorail looked like? I would love to know. :sweet:

I've heard that same story from several people, including LEGO designers I know, but nobody have ever said anything about actual prototypes. These responses from children came from test groups, so I think it's more likely that the children responded to drawings and concept art.

6 minutes ago, L@go said:

I've heard that same story from several people, including LEGO designers I know, but nobody have ever said anything about actual prototypes. These responses from children came from test groups, so I think it's more likely that the children responded to drawings and concept art.

Hmm. That's a possibility. Love your cars by the way! :sweet:

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

On 5/14/2016 at 9:49 AM, LegoFjotten said:

At a recent factory tour in Billund we were told that the monorail molds are now resting in peace in the concrete floor below some section of the factory.

If I was on the tour I would have wandered away from the group, started tearing up floor, and either I'd find molds to take home with me or they'd have to admit, that it was all some big stupid lie and the mods are in a safe somewhere.

I think that Monorail did reasonably well in the Americas because we didn't have the 12V trains and 4.5V was lame (sorry 4.5V fanboys, that's what I had as a kid and it was lame - still far better than no train at all).

What amazes me is that despite the shear amount of 12V lego produced how much Monorail there is out there on the open market.  Other than the stantions, and motors, it holds up VERY, VERY well.

As someone who has a fair share of monorail and who wasn't huge on it as a kid, but wanted it.  I love it because of the hills.  You can twist and turn a monorail so well.  And prior to the advent of flex tracks, monorail had some flexibility.  I've seen the helix done with many curves, inclines happen quickly and you DON'T have to have a degree in geometry to make monorails connect.  9V and 12V and even 4.5V have to be precise!  Monorail allows some play in your turns, etc.

I would liken the Monorail to the DeLorean DMC-12.  Yes it looks cool, but if they didn't hold some value and there were plenty out there.  Would you shell out $5K on a 35-year-old slow car that handled like a shopping cart if they were everywhere?  I wouldn't, part of the prestige is that the cars were and are extremely rare.  That's much of the magic of the monorail.  The rest is as described further up.

As usual, given all we know, I don't see monorail returning. On the other hand, at this point I expect to continue to see this topic return to the top of the Embassy forum every now and again until the end of time. :tongue: