CopMike

LEGO VIP program questions for you!

Hi there!

TLG needs your input on the LEGO VIP program. Please answer the questions below if you feel like sharing your thoughts!

1) Describe how you achieved membership and how you make use of the VIP program today.

2) What is the key benefits the LEGO VIP program provide for mature LEGO users such as yourself?

3) How does the VIP program influence your LEGO experiences, such as the LEGO sets and themes you are interested in?

4) Brainstorm ideas related to additional experiences mature LEGO VIP members would like access to.

5) How would mature VIP members want to be treated as a VIP when they come to the LEGO store, call the contact center and otherwise get into contact with the LEGO Group?

Copy & paste this for your answers :sweet: :

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

1) I think I just asked for a card and they registered one for me. I usually use it every time I purchase LEGO online or in-store.

2) They offer some cool stuff like early releases and double VIP points.

3) I'd say it's helped for things such as when I wanna get a giant set, such as the GBHQ, I use the money I've gotten to save money on that.

4) Can't think of any even though there's probably a ton.

5) Maybe more free stuff or discounts, I dunno.

1) I signed up while making a purchase at the Lego Store. Pretty basic.

2) Definitely the VIP points. I can never afford/don't bother anything they have as an early release.

3) It doesn't much, but it might make me consider a set if it's the monthly pick for Double points or something.

4) VIP PAB brick events with special pieces (Or something to remedy the Sand green NYC mess), a minifig of the VIP logo (Why hasn't that happened already), early morning VIP sales event for stuff besides star wars, bigger discount on refilled PAB cups for VIPs. I'll probably come up with more ideas right after I post this.

5) A fanfare of trumpets and my own personal butler. :tongue: No need for improvements, I've always had good service.

1) I achieved membership quite recently after many years of being lego customer while only purchasing from retailers, not S&H. One day though I decided to make an account 'just in case I ever need it'. Finally I first actually used it when I wanted to use the christmas offer last year - while there's no official Lego shop in my country, I ordered from S&H. (I actually made another order before but that was from Bricks & Pieces which doesn't accept or grant any VIP points whatsoever)

2) I don't really know but I'm guessing that I'm not a representative individual of mature AFOL. I am mature and I am AFOL ( :grin:) but I can rarely afford buying sets from official e-shop (again, no store within my reach) because LEGO is generally quite expensive in where I live (given the average income we have) so unless there was a decent discount on some set I really desired for, I can barely make use of the VIP points or the other benefits like early access to some exclusive sets. I'm not sure what other benefits are VIP only, most giveaways seem to be for any qualifying order regardless buyer' status. So all in all, I don't benefit from the program but that's mostly my fault I guess :) I understand that without spending money, no big rewards shall be expected.

3) Nowise... should it? Or I didn't understand the question perhaps?

4) Hmm, maybe some access to the exclusive content e.g. designer interviews, behind the scenes stuff regarding set development. But then again, I don't see much of a reason for making such things VIP only.

5) I wish that everyone who enter the Store or call the service gets the best possible care so once again, I wouldn't expect any special care for VIP members. I see no point in making any non-shopping advantages since becomming VIP is just the matter of creating an account and getting validated. If VIP had someting to do with e.g. recognition as a 'experienced lego builder' or something that people would have to prove some skills for, that would be quite different and in such case, I could possibly imagine some special treatment.

1) Achieving VIP through online purchase through a store delivering to a different country - quite hard if you do not live in a country where the shop@home delivers ..I got the card then by traveling around Europe and asked for it in one store personally.

2) VIP points, double VIP points - discount. Polybags. Early access. Special lego RLUG member selected weekend discounts in stores.

3) I get them cheaper.

4) I want to buy polybags and things normal people can´t :) + i want the store to ship to Slovakia finally ... It just complicates my life to travel always to Czech Republic to pick up my orders ... (the Czech republic store could offer shipping to Slovakia, all the Czech stores do it .. we are like 1 market, 1 language)

5) Please send me phone number on one of your female store workers in Vienna :P :D Manuela stole my heart ... :)))

1) as I live in a country without a brand store I signed up online and have the vip-number on my phone for when I make a (rare) visit to a brand store

2) the (double) vip-points and early acces to sets

3) I like to save up my points and spend it on a big set

4) I'm quite happy with what to program offers, so I can't think of anything (but I would not say no to more free polybags)

5) just like every other costumer: friendly and helpfull

1) I signed up online when I made an order from shop.lego.com - we don't seem to have stores in our country that run the VIP program (I live in New Zealand)

2) Virtually no benefits, I do get points when I buy lego online (as I said the program is not run in stores here) from the official site that can be used to make sets ever so slightly cheaper - but Shop.Lego.Com is rarely cost competitive as they basically don't discount for our country, so it comes down to the "exclusive" sets that normally don't discount on rrp in shops either which actually annoys more than anything and is leading to me skipping sets I would otherwise purchase now.

It is also a pain because in our country we get an absolute extortionate shipping charge ($40 - $80) unless our order is over $400. Put mathematically that is in the best case a shipping charge of between 160% at the lower end to 20% at the upper end. I find the system basically unuseable in any active or responsive way (i've given up on the online store more or less, and by effect also the VIP program)

3) It doesn't influence my buying unless I can find a way to effectively use those points (seldom can), I do enjoy getting emailed about upcoming special sets from Lego directly (keep doing this :) ), but I usually am already aware of such sets

4) Actual discounts I could use in my country would be a big one, a mailer with more Lego info, points that don't expire, If you were to want to do something exclusive? perhaps competitions for VIP only members (that don't require them to buy via the program, unless you fix the postage and provided a decent discount to make buying online a sane choice),

Easier access to those promotional polybags for VIP customers? It can leave us in the lurch here because, in my case I've already bought a huge amount of sets from them and can't justify concocting another $400+ order through the official site which kills me on the discount side (to avoid the $80 postage charge!!!)... sadly they don't really have close to my order history since most Lego I buy only makes sense to do so outside of the VIP program (still from official sanctioned and supported Lego retailers though).

5) I don't actually want any extra special treatment as a VIP member when in communication unless they want to give me free stuff for getting in touch, otherwise I want Lego to treat all it's customers well - I've bought a large amount of Lego most of which was not via the VIP program (still from official retailers) so I would want to be a valued customer anyway! (noting that I've informed Lego online of a faulty Linear Actuator recently - and they got right on it and are sending me a replacement one so I'm quite pleased that they do take care of their customer!)

Edited by Alternator

1) I was at a LEGO Store and I asked to become a VIP and they were like "Heck yes, dude! You're in the club, bruh!"

2) The "Cash Back" function. I really appreciate getting the points, and even more the Double Points.

3) The VIP program doesn't really influence which themes I buy, just when I buy the stuff I like.

4) I'd love to be able to get VIP points on Bricks And Pieces orders, and would also love to have more frequent Double VIP Point opportunities. Those are when I buy bigger sets, like Modulars, but only if I can afford them at the time, so if they offered a few more "Double Points" times throughout the year, I'd be more likely to purchase those bigger sets I really want, but shouldn't buy due to being broke.

5)I don't like the idea of VIP members being treated better than non VIP customers. If they started that, it could easily transition to becoming a pay-for-membership thing, which I would be very upset about. I just like the whole points process, with a few exclusive things now and again, to get new members to join the fun.

1) I placed an order on S@H, but to get the points and access the VIP-only set I had to sign up, so I did. So that means @5% discount when ordering from S@H, which is better than nothing.

2) For someone living in a country without physical Lego brand shops and with hefty postage, VIP is really only useful for the minor discount given for purchases that can't be made at local retailers. (Local retailers are far more convenient & affordable, but exclusive sets & polybags aren't available for the most part.)

3) I can't really see how VIP vs non-VIP changes my Lego experience much. Early access to exclusives is pointless if they are too costly to purchase anyway, or will appear at a retailer next year during a sale.

4) I don't really pay much attention to what is available to VIPs and what is available to everyone (for reference), but for the overseas S@H-only crowd, perhaps more (stacked) promotional incentives like waived postage costs now and then, extra polybags that are usually only available at USA TRU etc. I usually feel like I'm getting a bad deal and could buy from resellers instead - additional VIP stuff might help to alleviate that.

5) Other than some kind of freebie perhaps, I don't think customer service needs to be any different between VIPs and non-VIPs.

1) I registered in store, to get the reward points on purchases, which is still what I mainly use the VIP program for.

2) VIP points, double VIP points, and extra freebies.

3) It hasn't influenced my interest in sets or themes.

4) Adult building events/challenges. Special offers. VIP Pick a Brick events with different part selection.

5) Just like any other valued customer.

1) I signed up on their Shop @ Home website

2) Early access to new exclusive sets, and reward points for spending over $100, to be used in future purchases

3) Not at all. I base my buying decisions on whether I like a set/theme or not

4) It would be cool if we got a bonus after (x) amount of purchases, or time as a VIP like 1, 5, 10 year anniversaries or something. I wouldn't mind one of those chrome red minifigs, personally :)

5) I don't think I'd need any extra preferential treatment, over other people to be honest. Although, one thing I'd love to see is faster shipping to those of us in the Antipodes without a stupidly high shipping fee, and better knowledge of upcoming bonuses or freebies months ahead; usually Australians don't get to know of these offers until the last minute.

Thanks for asking!

1) I signed up with my first purchase at Lego S@H. I use the points to go towards big purchases.

2) The points. It's all about the points. I view it as a % discount on each purchase.

3) It doesn't influence my buying decisions. I leave that to forums like this and reviews.

4) More regular discounts to recognise loyalty would be nice. The problem I have is that locally I can buy Lego regularly at 20+% off and therefore there is little incentive to use S@H and the VIP program. I only use it when there is an exclusive or D2C I can't buy through local resellers. Making promotional bonuses, such as the recent May the Fourth promotion, universal would be good too. The offer we got in Australia was rubbish compared to our US friends.

5) I don't have a Lego store in my neck of the woods so I can't comment on that. Phone service is generally really good though so don't change it. It shouldn't matter if VIP or not. I like the response above from the guy who had his heart stolen by a Lego store employee though :smile:

1) After my first purchase at shop@home I realized there is something like VIP points. A couple of days later I had my VIP number.

2) VIP points are quite good. I(double VIP points even better). Some freebies are nice (but not all), I especially dislike online freebies that you get for about 30 EUR - like the current bird - in order to get free shipping you have to spend more anyway. Freebies should be better (55 EUR threshhold level)

3) No influence here - right now there arent any interesting sets and themes out there (for me) - don't see how the vip program could change that

4) I would like to see better sets (or even sets at all) with historic context - classic castle/pirates, wild west or something entirely new and different. If Lego doubts these sets would be succesful on a mainstream level - maybe they could bring out a lego exlusive vip series which brings out nice sets for history buffs -

5) I always thought treatment at lego stores was nice until I went to the lego store in vienna - donauzentrum - they are by far the best!

Hope to get to Vienna soon.

Edited by Andrzej777

1. Achieved membership in NZ when I ordered the Haunted House and Grand Emporium, got my dads to use it in America while they were travelling to get me the Detective's Office, and now I'm working in Malaysia where there are LEGO Certified Stores which sadly do not have the VIP system, so I can't collect points any more. Why don't the Malaysian stores or even Legoland accept VIP points?

2. It's just nice to get a discount-of-sorts when buying LEGO, because it is rather expensive. The points help to offset expensive purchases.

3. I like modulars, which are good for collecting large numbers of points, especially during the double VIP period.

4. Special discount days, early access to the store when new sets are released, just more discounts in general would be nice. Again, would be great if VIP membership extended to Malaysian LEGO stores.

5. No need for special treatment. At the moment I would appreciate the benefits extending to Malaysia.

1) I think I got my membership in 2008, but I am not sure. Currently, I use my membership to save a lot of VIP points for big purchases during VIP events.

2) The events are very nice. Double VIP points is also a nice gift. :classic:

3) It does not (sorry).

4) Pick a Brick events would be very nice. The Pick a Brick walls have some nice elements and specially the last few years. But some elements would be nice to find in the wall, such as 1x1 or 1x2 plate in various colors. Perhaps a special set only for the VIP members once a year. :laugh:

5) The service is great. Just keep up the good work. :thumbup:

1) I got my membership online in 2014. I use my membership almost only online since Swedens only official lego-store isn't located very near to me. I mainly participate in events such as the yearly Star Wars-event in may and most often to buy exclusive sets.

2) The range of exclusive sets are of course almost exclusively available at lego.com but the system of VIP-points (and the bonuses given sometimes) are of course of interest. The events that provide limited free sets are of course a big part of the VIP-experience. For example: the free Christmas-sets were above expectation when it comes to added value (the gingerbread house was awesome).

3) From an online perspective: not that much actually.

4) A Lego Ideas-concenpt regarding free sets would be interesting: so that the fan community can get their ideas to become free small limited sets. A wider range of micro-scale sets would be cool as well, when looking at the sets exclusively released for i.e. Comic Con these always stand out like cool kind of sets that could be produced and sold at reasonable prices?

5) The service is excellent as it is. I've never had problems while communicating with TLG! I only have a minor concern that involves a third party: I almost never get the tracking-id of my parcels to work when I order from Lego.com to Sweden. That's a bit irritating but since the parcels is delivered it's not a major concern.

Edited by MysticModulus

1) After coming out of the dark age my wife and `I took a trip to a brand store and she brought 3 or 4 modulars they signed us up having been offered it at the till - we tend to get lego elsewhere (where Evers cheaper) if we do buy from lego its to maximise points i.e October and then we tend to use them on a big set at christmas as a discount. We also use it to get early access to sales

2) Early access to sales items around the holidays, discount/money off bigger sets again normally for the holidays

3) It doesn't as a family we get what we like from where ever is the best deal.

4) There could be periodic meetings where you and your family are randomly invited and there you get to see set previews, meet designers, chat with others, have a buffet/BBQ , enter build competitions just a general fun/special day on lego as a thank you........more of the random give aways or surprises like when they sent out the heart/red logo mini figure

5)No differently than anybody else ! as it's a free service I don't think we can ask for any this other than the great service we already get. The only thing they could do is maybe do pick up in store for VIP's

Edited by Benny benny BENNY

1) I got a VIP pass from my first visit to a LEGO store and use it everytime I buy there or online.

2) To be very honost with you: it's all about the price. I consider VIP points as a 5% discount on the purchase price. If I can get the same product elsewhere cheaper I buy it over there. The major advantage of the VIP program for me are special offerings like exclusive give-aways (like the gingerbread house from last year).

3) It doesn't, sorry.

4) More LEGO stores! We've got only 1 store in the Benelux in Belgium and I know for a fact that a store would be very welcome in the Netherlands. The PAB wall is my main attraction when visiting a LEGO store: it would be fantastic if I could view online what is in stock in the wall, before I go out for long drive. I assume the parts arrive in boxes in the lego stores and surely they have codes on those boxes... it would be great to link them to the internet. A third wish: it would be great if there would come a PAB event just for VIPS with more exclusive parts.

5) Just like any other customer! The service is great as it is and the employees are friendly and helpfull.

1) Signed up through S@H. I use it whenever I purchase any product from the company itself, both on the S@H site and in LEGO stores. I do find people are surprised that I have my name printed on the VIP card. This should be done more often if possible.

2) The 5% points we get back, I use it to buy newer sets / pick-a-brick that I want to. Double points are a bonus!

3) It does not influence my choice of whether or not to buy a set, but rather if I buy it directly from LEGO vs 3rd party retailer.

4)

a) More notifications of in store specials. I find out about most of them through having store employees part of our LUG.

b) Bring back the pre-release exclusive purchases a week or so before the release date.

c) Maybe have a tier of VIP cards depeneding on how long and how many purchases the customer did (i.e. silver, gold, platnum, etc).

d) Have access to a read only API so we can programatically query what bricks are available in the pick-a-brick and bricks-and-pieces (maybe even sets) so we can plan orders easier.

5) VIPs should be treated like you should treat any good customer you have a record of their purchase history. Purchase limits and other behavours that may cause VIPs to be banned should be published, well defined and not arbitrary. The stories we hear on EB about VIPs being banned from LEGO for unknown reasons should never happen.

1) s@h use it for purchases instore and online,

2) Like the points earned generally use them when available rather than saving them up.

3) has no influence I wouldn't buy a set is didn't want just because there were a few extra vip points with it.

4) as above (Have access to a read only API so we can programmatically query what bricks are available in the pick-a-brick and bricks-and-pieces (maybe even sets) so we can plan orders easier.) Would be fantastic

5) as the rest we should be treated the same maybe an extra freebie after so many years or something.

1) There is nothing you need to achieve to get the membership. Simply making a first purchase was enough. These days I'm using this for occasional discount you get with points feature.

2) Not much really. Occasional discount with accumulated points.

3) No influence.

4) Access to Bricks'n'Pieces selection of parts from newest sets that have just become available in stores.

Get every n-th BAP cup for free.

5) Maybe some unexpected freebie like poster or promo item is always nice to have.

Technically my family all shares my dad's VIP account, but since he's not really active in any online communities I suppose I'll answer here.

1) I think my dad joined the VIP program soon after it started. After all, it was free, and we already tended to order a lot from Lego.

2) The main VIP benefits we take advantage of are the VIP points that can be redeemed for discounts, ESPECIALLY during double points periods. Often when making a purchase at a store the employee at the register has remarked about the ridiculous number of points on our card, since we don't always remember to make purchases when it's NOT a double points period! Since I became a member of BioniLUG, I have also used my LUG sticker on dad's card so that we can get discounts on the AFOL discount days. We don't often take advantage of early VIP releases, since it's usually more economical to wait for double points or a similar discount.

3) The main way the VIP program influences my Lego experience and buying habits is that it convinces me to do more of my purchases during double-points periods, instead of buying as many sets from other retailers throughout the rest of the year. In particular, I try to consolidate purchases of large or expensive themes that I enjoy like Ninjago, Elves, and Nexo Knights during double points periods. Cheaper sets like most Bionicle sets or collectible minifigures are some of the only ones I tend to buy at other times or through other channels.

4) I'm pretty happy with the VIP program as it is, but as for other things they could do with it... I dunno. I guess it could be neat if there were more exclusive or semi-exclusive items for VIP members. For example, it would be neat if there were opportunities for VIP members to get a chance at some convention-exclusive items like minifigures or Bionicle masks that are otherwise only available for attendees of specific pop-culture events.

5) In general, I've found that Lego's customer service both at physical stores and online is excellent whether you're in the VIP program or not. So I don't really have any suggestions there.

1) Describe how you achieved membership and how you make use of the VIP program today.

I was asked by a LEGO Store employee if I would like to join, so I did. I use the VIP program to get VIP points on purchases.

2) What is the key benefits the LEGO VIP program provide for mature LEGO users such as yourself?

For me, the key benefit of the VIP program is the VIP points.

3) How does the VIP program influence your LEGO experiences, such as the LEGO sets and themes you are interested in?

The VIP program does not influence which sets and themes I buy. It only influences when I buy, which is usually during double points promotions.

4) Brainstorm ideas related to additional experiences mature LEGO VIP members would like access to.

a) An increase in the overall value of points would be great. The standard is equal to a discount of 5%, and double points is equal to 10%. Other retailers have better incentives. For example, while Toys R Us tends to have higher prices in general, they frequently offer 20% off coupons that make the prices better than they are at the LEGO Store (or Shop @ Home) during a double points promotion. Add to that their own points bonus system, and it is rarely more affordable to shop at the LEGO Store.

b) For the same reason, perhaps triple or quadruple points promotions would entice more buyers to the official stores. Even an increase in the number of double points promotions would be of great benefit.

c) Perhaps VIPs could get coupons a few times a year that can be used at the LEGO Store or online, with percentages in the 20% or higher range. Some could be a percentage off a single set, some could be a percentage off the entire purchase. Purchases made with coupons should still accrue points. Better yet, they should still accrue the original number of points before discounts are applied (for example, a $100 set would be $80 with a 20% coupon, but you would still get 100 points).

d) Discounts on calendars.

e) Lower limits for polybag giveaways.

f) Perhaps a stamp card for Pick-a-Brick cup purchases with a free or discounted cup when completed. The same could work for Collectible Minifigures. Essentially, a "Buy X, get 1 Free" promotion.

g) Additional points bonuses on damaged and discounted sets.

h) Access to newly released parts in the online Bricks & Pieces store. Applying points to these purchases would be a much better incentive.

i) An increased selection of parts from Pick-a-Brick, both in store and online, would be a great improvement.

j) A removal of the time limit for point redemption.

5) How would mature VIP members want to be treated as a VIP when they come to the LEGO store, call the contact center and otherwise get into contact with the LEGO Group?

As a mature VIP member, I would not expect any special treatment from stores, call centers, or otherwise. I greatly appreciate what the staff does in general, and especially to rectify issues in the most polite and timely manner. When I do experience an issue, it would be nice to receive a little something extra as a small token of apology for the error.

Edited by x105Black

1) I do not remember. All I can recall was that I use to use loyalty cards which would get stamped, then Lego introduced the VIP progam which I continued.

2) I rarely buy sets now so it has very little use.

3) It does not

4) Special benefits with Bricks& Pieces (access to exclusive pieces, or piece of the month in large quantity), digital magazine expressing new techniques alternative sets to existing sets

5) Nothing special

1) I got back into Lego a few years ago and was offered the VIP card in the store one day. I use it today for every purchase. I save point to put towards potential big sets I may want in the future.

2) The ability to reward yourself with the points later on in the future for larger purchases.

3) The VIP program does not influence my direction very much.

4) More options in store for Pick-A-Brick for VIP members. Maybe a specific sized cup or different part selections. Or perhaps better pricing and part availability from Pick a Brick Online. A large portion of the older community are MOCers. Having some competitive pricing from Lego direct would probably encourage competition on Bricklink as well.

5) I honestly feel that a large portion of people who shop at the lego store (at least locally by me) see this as a way to earn credit in store. The VIP "Events" don't feel VIP. The staff I always encounter are great, but there is no distinction between VIP and Random Customer Bob. I think a higher level program would be worth visiting.