Kwatchi

[SR-FB1] May '16 - The Barber-Surgeon of Saville

A native of the southern nation of Salleek, Alsin Jarpur was a free spirit who made his living as a barber in his home country, like his father before him. Succumbing to wanderlust, he travelled up along the Merlonic Sea coast until a fateful day in Oleon when he was press ganged on to the royal frigate Saville. That began a decade of servitude in the cramped, miserable confines of the Oleon ship where he became as a surgeon’s mate thanks to his skill with a sharp razor blade. At some point in his impressed servitude, he learned of the Old Faith of the Patheon of Three from some of his fellow sailors, and though not devout, took to it as his own in order to fit in with his mess mates.

During a cruise to the Sea of Thieves, the Saville made port at Astrapi to refit after having lost a number of spars during a storm. Ever longing for freedom, Alsin took the opportunity to jump ship and hid in the wilderness until the frigate had sailed. Then after finding little compassion for a foreigner amongst the populace of Isle de Zeus, he heard a rumour of a nearby colony where the Old Faith was practiced once again. Stealing a fishing smack, he made his way to Charlatan Bay where he was received with open arms. He was given a place in the nascent colony and established himself a barber shop on the main floor of a house built by a family who had succumbed to malaria weeks prior. Fate had taken a hand perhaps.

Alsin Jarpur has quickly become a fixture in the free port. While not a fervent believer, he makes his devotions to Hades and Poseidon each morning and his living mostly by way of barbering for the town folk and passing seaman; though he will occasionally be called into action as a surgeon when a raider ship makes port after having badly lost a fight. The Dark Bishop himself can frequently found in the barber shop after his recent rejuvenation (see previous) and seems on rather cordial terms with Jarpur. Some note however that Meloche’s visits for a haircut and shave tend to coincide with when Alsin is required to conduct an amputation, and some secretly whisper that the Captain feeds on the pain and suffering of those poor souls under the knife.

kwd22gV.jpg

CKiERtU.jpg

JDbyFRW.jpg

k20Vaym.jpg

====

This will be licensed as a small artisan. And I promise, no more indoor vignettes for a while. :)

Edited by Kwatchi

Great interior scene with a very smooth and clean feeling. Keep it up!

Excellent use of that Nexo Knights shield! :thumbup: A really nice interior scene.

Great interior ! Good design. Why would you stop making interiors ? They are fine.

Your Barber made me sing "Figaro ! Figaro..." (nice ! Now I have it in head...)

Simple answer: time to try something else.

Edited by Kwatchi

Nice looking barber shop, Kwatchi. Another underrepresented craft in BoBS. Lots of nice details.

I am a bit concerned with the... dark ceremonies the captain seems to be conducting... But at least they seem to work! :P

Nice inside scene, with a lot of little details that definitely add to the scene. The Dark Bishop is a crazy man. Great minifigure posing as well. Keep up the good work.

Great scene! Grim and humorous at the same time. You have combined two different sets of equipment, barber and surgeon, and shown both very nicely. Great circular mirror and pomades. Nice use of the crutches minifig as well!

The Dark Bishop looks like he's wearing a comedy false beard!

Great scene! I always enjoy watching new minifig uses!but... Artisan?!? Hehehe! Art at its finest!!!

The Dark Bishop looks like he's wearing a comedy false beard!

I agree. His change from white to brown beard last "episode" did leave him looking kinda... odd. Hence he gets a shave this month. I debated switching to just a mustache, but he looked even weirder.

Great scene! I always enjoy watching new minifig uses!but... Artisan?!? Hehehe! Art at its finest!!!

I suppose there is an art to being a good barber/hair stylist. pirate_blush.gif

On 5/12/2016 at 5:22 AM, Kwatchi said:

Simple answer: time to try something else.

You know i would enjoy strolling past a lovely barber pole before entering the shop ... Hint hint.  I love the scene the details and how you've tied the red/white of the pole (surgical and bandages) most people forget that once barbers were more skilled than doctors.  Good to know we have such a skilled professional incase Gustaf ever needs to have some blood letting. Haha