Sign in to follow this  
LegoCube

[MOD] 75871 Stickerless Mustang WIP

I am going on a road trip soon and hopefully will get a Mustang from the car rental. So I happened to walk past this set and just had to buy it in anticipation of the trip :D

So, I never use stickers. Hate them. So I thought I try to mod this car stickerless, which seemed doable.

It is a minor mod, but I am kinda new and I feel kinda proud I could finish what I had in mind. I thought I'd share.

Thanks for reading!

MustangFront.png

http://u.cubeupload....t20160511at.png

MustangRear.png

http://u.cubeupload....t20160511at.png

It was an one afternoon thing and I did not have all my bricks at hand but, I am pretty happy with the results :)

edit: reserved for possible changes. Would love to make it stud or two wider...

edit: resized images

Edited by LegoCube
Please keep embedded images to a maximum resolution of 1,024 x 768 pixels

Seems like the 1x1 slope tile turned sideways would give a better shape to the front. The rear need triple tail lights; consider turning 1x2 plates/tiles/jumpers on their sides.

Thanks for comments. I agree about the front. Just did not have the angled part with stud on the side so had to go with 1 stud technic brick for the headlights.

About tail lights also, I'd love to get that triple thing going but it seemed hard to get right in this scale...

First of all, this turned out really nice!

You stated, that you are new, so this is a hell of a start! Modding existing Sets is a good way to head off into unknown spheres of lego car building ;)

So welcome to the Car-building fraction!

I must agree with gotoAndLego though, the front and back needs some work to get the look more "right".

To give you a good start on lego "Mustangs" , there are some magnificent and well known models from excellent builders id like to show you:

Er0L

Derjoe

Chris

All of these contain nice techniques. You will also find the side snot with trans red 1x1 Tiles in those flickr streams. That technique really is amazing for getting the 'Mustang Job' done ;)

Furthermore (not sure what parts you have) you can also put a small 1L technic pin into the fronts black technic brick and then attach the slope pieces to it - the oldschool way of doing a 1x1 brick with stud on side ;)

cheers!

Thank you very much for all that info Ron!

I think I got all what you explained. Except for "side snot" :D

Some great Mustangs there already, I saw a 2014 Mustang there with similar headlights than mine but trying both setups.

Thanks for the help and support!

Edited by LegoCube

Very cool! Looks completely like the big one :classic: Does it fits a Minifig?

Thanks! Yea, it fits a minifig racer :D The interior is straight from the original set. I have only messed with the lights :)

Here is a quick version after the feedback. Some adjustments needed but certainly looks more like the modern Mustang with these changes

MustangFront2.png

MustangRear2.png

For the rear, I chose to exaggerate the taillights. It looked weird to my eye if the taillight were any narrower.

Also, would be interesting to fit lights into this. Might try that some time after the actual roadtrip :grin:

In my opinion it looks better than the original set :devil:

http://brickset.com/sets/75871-1/Ford-Mustang-GT

Edited by LegoCube

Very cool! I totally aggree, it looks better than the set. I also try to avoid the stickers when possible.

The first thing I do with my son's Speed Champions sets is adding new "brick"-built lights.