murphy_slaw

The Shameful Confessions Thread

This tread is timely. Two days ago I built a couple of sets and once I was done I threw out the garbage such bags, empty sticker sheets, and excess mould pieces (like the middle of blossom pieces and pearl gold keys). Unfortunately I threw out a really tiny gold crown that I thought was junk mould. I confess I went through the trash can looking for that dang thing yesterday. I also have to confess that I did not find it. :angry:

I swallowed a white 1x1 round plate (Stud) once on accident and I never found it again.

I guess it would be a more shameful confession if I had searched for it and found it, but I didn't.

I've encouraged my kids to put certain Lego sets on their birthday and Christmas lists specifically because I wanted just a couple of parts out of those sets. I knew that after they built the sets (and then destroyed them) the parts would be available to me.

I throw away parts that are broken or cracked.

That doesn't seem too shameful to me. I do it all the time.

I've encouraged my kids to put certain Lego sets on their birthday and Christmas lists specifically because I wanted just a couple of parts out of those sets. I knew that after they built the sets (and then destroyed them) the parts would be available to me.

This Hahahaha this gave me a good laugh!

Sometimes I think I like sorting Lego more than building with them.

Perfect! It seems like I can never get around to all the building I would like because I have too big of a sorting backlog. You can come do my sorting for me! :tongue:

Mine I guess would be that sometimes I still find myself using my teeth to separate bricks :sceptic:

In my excitement of opening new Disney minifigures I managed to lose Alice's head. :cry_sad:

s-l300.jpg

Edited by rodiziorobs

Mine I guess would be that sometimes I still find myself using my teeth to separate bricks :sceptic:

For shame, Rodiziorobs ... for shame :wink: . I have resorted to mini-pliers a few times, usually with a cloth around the LEGO piece in an attempt not to damage it.

My confession: my LEGO room is sorted to a ridiculous degree, which makes finding parts very fast but putting parts away very slow. Consequently, I have a large box of unsorted parts which need to get put away, and I sometimes find myself rooting through that box trying to find a specific piece which I'm pretty sure I have, but isn't in its proper place... :cry_sad:

I can never seem to build anything with what I have on-hand. Every design results in several orders from Bricklink to finish the project. And these are rarely anything larger than the equivalent of a $50 set. :sceptic:

Still new to being an AFOL.

I'm not too ashamed of my new Lego hobby, but I am completely unwilling to expose my work community to the fact. I'm an Army officer and gossip spreads fast and I just don't want to deal with it. Any other social circles and I'm fine with it and perfectly willing to show iPhone pics of my hobby gone wild in the past few months, to my girlfriend's friends, my friends, random people in a bar, I actually think it's a fun and wholesome hobby, I just keep it separate from work.

I'm also a little ashamed of the dozen or so Akromills drawers full of Lego I keep in my apartment. When I settle down somewhere I look forward to having an awesome Lego basement.

Begging like mad to all divine beings to remind you where you put that piece you're looking for! And you search for days and days only to remember weeks later you used that piece on a detail build in the corner of some MOC.

Then realizing you can't take that piece back...and now your new MOC is swearing at you for being so dumb. GRRR!

I managed to throw away the CMF witch's purple cloth skirt without realizing it at the time. Doh!!! I have recently started opening brand new smaller sets and just adding the parts to my moc parts inventory without even bothering to build the set in the first place.

I have recently started opening brand new smaller sets and just adding the parts to my moc parts inventory without even bothering to build the set in the first place.

Yep. I could get 30 to life for this egregious crime as well. :grin:

Some people go dumpster diving for food, 'cause they're hungry.

I went dumpster diving for Lego, 'cause...it's Lego. :blush:

But come on, I mean someone had thrown a couch in and someone else a box of old toys right on top! There weren't any complete sets, or really any rare pieces, just a handful of random parts. Much of it was stuff I don't have any of and hey--Lego is Lego, and you can't just throw it away. Left the Bloks and K'nex bits behind. :devil:

Currently soaking in soapy water for the second time...

I buy parts on BrickLink I know I'll probably never use. Let me explain...

I start conceptualising modifications to sets I like even before the set has been released. I know what the set will look like thanks to preview pictures/videos posted online and I'm pretty good at visualising my intended improvements, but it isn't always easy to know what will work physically, mechanically and aesthetically. To allow for different possibilities, I buy a variety of parts. Some get used, others don't. The ones that don't often don't find a purpose in other MOCs. I bought quite a few extra parts in dark red, red, orange and yellow for the modded phoenix below for example most of which I didn't use. I should be more patient and wait to have the set in hand before planning and buying parts for modifications, but I can't help myself! :blush:

phoenix_modded_small.jpg

like AmperZand I buy parts I really don't need and then don't get the parts I really need :wall:

I can never seem to build anything with what I have on-hand. Every design results in several orders from Bricklink to finish the project. And these are rarely anything larger than the equivalent of a $50 set. :sceptic:

Welcome to my life.

I still remember being a kid and just improvising. Bricklink is ruining my adaptability. Everything is perfectionist level. I'm also at the point where I'm beginning to be in desperate need of just plain bricks. Not special anything . . . just bricks!!

When I'm pretty burned out or bummed from work, I hit the LEGO Store Pick-A-Brick wall at night and spend the hours 'til store closing filling my cup/s. I find relief in planning and organizing the layout of the contents in each cup.