Joebot

"The Hobbit" Movie -- TLC's next license???

So, it's official. New Line is coming out with TWO "Hobbit" movies, both executive produced by Peter Jackson. The theory is that the first one (due 2010) will cover the "The Hobbit" book, and the second one will pull together various storylines from all the supplementary stuff that Tolkien wrote (due 2011).

I think we'd all agree that the "Lord of the Rings" movie trilogy with its PG-13 rating was a little too dark and violent for TLC to take on as a license. But what about "The Hobbit?" The book definitely skews younger, and is basically a fun, harmless, fantasy adventure story. Seems like that would be right up TLC's alley.

We got new dwarf mini-figs this year, so we'd be all set for Thorin and his group. Bilbo would be easy to do with the stubby mini-fig legs. Other characters like Gandalf, Elrond, Beorn, and Bard the Bowman would all make terrific figs.

And then there's the giant spiders, eagles, wargs, wood elves, trolls, etc.

But, the big set, the one that I really want to see ... Smaug's Lair. This $100 set could come with Smaug in his mountain lair, a treasure horde, the secret door, and Bilbo.

C'mon, Lego, make it happen!!!

Well, let's hope this happens.

It would be a smart move of TLC.

And it will produce lots of interesting minifigs.

This would be cool. I'd buy the sets, if just for the great minifigs (and treasure :-D). A good idea, if this idea gets a bit of support why not pitch this forward to the Embassy?

EDIT: Shouldn't this be in Theatre?

~Peace

Edited by iamded

Frankly, it surprises me that I love Sci-Fi/Fantasy, and I own all of Lewis, Pullman, and Tolkein's works, and read all of them but the Hobbit. Ah well, I'll get around to it sooner or later. Bilbo's character didn't appeal to me much anyway. X-D

If they made battlepacks with elves, hobbits, and dwarves, I'd so be sold with this line. Too bad it probably won't happen, considering that TLC's working on their own castle/fantasy line right now (which still is awesome). *sad*

How long until someone drags out that picture of the Lord of the Rings "set"? :-/

Steve

If they made battlepacks with elves, hobbits, and dwarves, I'd so be sold with this line. Too bad it probably won't happen, considering that TLC's working on their own castle/fantasy line right now (which still is awesome). *sad*

Well, the SW line didn't prevent them to continue with other space themes ;-) .

Let's hope we'll get some great Hobbit set, full of new figs and pieces *y*

LuxorV

The only issue I can see is the cost of the rights. Given the box office take of the Lord of the Rings films, there's undoubtedly going to be the perception that anything Jackson-Tolkien related is a license to print money. As such, the licencing fees for Hobbit film(s)-related merchendise could potentially be very costly for the TLC.

While I'm a fan of the Hobbit, I'm really enjoying the current fantasy-infused Castle line and would hate to see it end untimely to make way for (another!) licensed line.

badger

The Hobbit is actually gonna be a two parter... X-D

I've read conflicting theories on this. Some say they're going to split the text of "The Hobbit" into two movies. Others say the first movie will cover "The Hobbit," and the second movie will be cobbled together from Tolkien's notes and appendices.

I hope you're right, because that second theory sounds like it could be awful.

I suppose nobody really knows for sure what they're planning because they haven't written the scripts yet! And they CAN'T write the scripts because of the writer's strike!

Frankly, it surprises me that I love Sci-Fi/Fantasy, and I own all of Lewis, Pullman, and Tolkein's works, and read all of them but the Hobbit. Ah well, I'll get around to it sooner or later. Bilbo's character didn't appeal to me much anyway.

It's a great story, and I highly recommend it, especially if you like those other writers. "The Hobbit" doesn't have the thematic weight of Pullman's "His Dark Materials," but it's still a good read. I liked it a lot better than the Narnia books.

The only issue I can see is the cost of the rights. Given the box office take of the Lord of the Rings films, there's undoubtedly going to be the perception that anything Jackson-Tolkien related is a license to print money. As such, the licencing fees for Hobbit film(s)-related merchendise could potentially be very costly for the TLC.

While I'm a fan of the Hobbit, I'm really enjoying the current fantasy-infused Castle line and would hate to see it end untimely to make way for (another!) licensed line.

badger

I have to agree with Badger here. The costs of the licence and developement of a Hobbit theme would probably outweigh the potential profits. Besides, I too really enjoy the current Castle line and would hate to see it replaced by a licenced theme. I hope TLC will continue on its present course and expand upon the current theme for years to come! *sweet*

It's a great story, and I highly recommend it, especially if you like those other writers. "The Hobbit" doesn't have the thematic weight of Pullman's "His Dark Materials," but it's still a good read. I liked it a lot better than the Narnia books.

I know what it's about. I know the plot, charcters, etc., I just haven't "read-read" it. To be honest, I'm kind of a Tolkein geek. :-D

that would rock! i found out about the movie this morning, and it has lots of oppurtunities

jifel

Athos wrote

How long until someone drags out that picture of the Lord of the Rings "set"?

Whatchu talkin 'bout, Willis...er, Athos?

Well if it would happen that would still be in over 2 years. LEGO could easily pump out 2 more years worth of succesful sets for the new castle theme and then take on the Hobbit theme if it wouldnt be so finansialy hyped up. im sure it would be awesome, flesh colored mega medieval mini figs, battle packs galore, great scene sets. The Hobbit was a wonderful book and the cartoon movie didnt give it justice, ive been hoping since LOTR movies that the Hobbit would be made. it could have great petencial.

I know what it's about. I know the plot, charcters, etc., I just haven't "read-read" it. To be honest, I'm kind of a Tolkein geek. :-D

Dude, you can't be a Tolkien geek and NOT have read "The Hobbit!" Go read it! Right now! Stop reading Eurobricks and go read it! X-D

Badger is probably right that the license will cost a fortune. I hadn't thought of that. The LOTR movies made over a billion dollars worldwide, so I'm sure New Line Studios is counting on "The Hobbit" raking in the same sort of cash.

Sigh ... I still want my Smaug's Lair set ...

Well, the SW line didn't prevent them to continue with other space themes ;-) .

Odd, it seems to me that I have read nothing but complaints for the last five years about how SW sets killed off SPACE! until the recent introduction of Mars Mission. Different perceptions I guess.

Athos wrote

Whatchu talkin 'bout, Willis...er, Athos?

Remember that fake set mock-up of Gandalf on the cart with Frodo, that someone made up a few years back, that was always popping up as proof of a Lego Lord of the Rings line?

Steve

Aaaahhh, yes, I do recall that.

I thought that you were perhaps referring to the "something special for Castle fans" that is supposed to appear in the fourth quarter of 2008. Seeing as we have orcs, dwarves and a grey wizard, elves are all that is needed to complete the races (OK, goblins, urukhai, and of course hobbits) I thought maybe you had inside info that made this upcoming set even more LOTRish than what our current options are.

I am still curious about what awaits us in the 4th quarter of 2008.

As to the topic at hand, I would much rather LEGO do it's own thing and avoid the flesh-tone figs. The current Castle theme is very cool and has more fantasy aspects being added in 2008. If LEGO insisted on taking The Hobbit license and did the sets/characters well I would be onboard in a heartbeat.

I would also like Gollems cave, with a little water some grey fish and Gollum and Bilbo. But I count not to much on it.

[font=Verdanda Ohh! I really do hope that they take the license. You are correct however, the Lord of The Rings trilogy was a bit dark for young watchers. :-/ But, if lego can pull off Indiana Jones, they are sure to pull of The Hobbit. :-D

I think if they do make hobbit sets they will release a batch after the first part comes out then another batch after the second part comes out