Sign in to follow this  
Cjd223

Gen 1 Remakes

Okay so I cannot be the only one who thinks that Lego should just re-release the original few years of bionicle in stores. I'm talking the same box, same instructions, everything. Personally I think it would be a huge boost for their theme because not only would kids get to fall in love with the early versions, but older fans would absolutely sprint out to buy some as soon as they hit shelves.

I still have some of my old 2001-2003 bionicles but I would run out and buy the exact same sets because there is just something about those old containers and those old clever ways of combining models, and the old story, that would make me relive my childhood of bionicle, and I'm sure that kids today would continue on with our old toys.

Share your thoughts on this theory, because I think it would be an excellent idea for TLG

It would probably cost them more than to just continue making gen 2 sets. Some of the colors have been discontinued, and they'd have to remake old molds and packaging. I doubt they have any old sets lying around, let alone enough to distribute worldwide.

Edited by Konahrik

It would probably cost them more than to just continue making gen 2 sets. Some of the colors have been discontinued, and they'd have to remake old molds and packaging. I doubt they have any old sets lying around, let alone enough to distribute worldwide.

Well surely they could just create molds from the currently existing parts, and mix to get new colors

Well surely they could just create molds from the currently existing parts, and mix to get new colors

You don't seem to realize what it costs for Lego to make a new mold, even when the design itself isn't new. The cost numbers in the tens of thousands of dollars for a single steel mold of the quality Lego shoots for, and considering how many of the classic Bionicle parts have been retired for years, a huge number of molds would need to be remade. They also keep a strict limit on the number of elements in production at any given time, and try their best to limit the color palette as much as possible—just mixing colors together on a whim wouldn't cut it, especially when Lego retired some of those older colors for very good reasons (such as the tendency of the old grays to yellow over time).

And when you add up all those costs and hurdles, what is it worth? The demand for those classic sets will be less than the demand for the originals by default, because new and used copies still exist and many of the nostalgic fans who would even care about those older, outdated sets already have the originals. There's simply no business case for rereleases of older Bionicle sets.