The LEGO snow speeder design from Episode V (The Empire Strikes Back) of Star Wars fame has been using basically the same design for over a decade (since 2003's set 4500, actually) and I think I may have created a new way of doing it.

4500-2.jpg

Here is that 2003 set for reference.

....and here is my version:

26285700103_9126ec6f67_z.jpg

The models features a newer cockpit canopy courtesy of the Speed Champions theme and a nose made out of part 6153b. Yes, I removed the gunners seat / harpoon gun and added a astro-droid socket, but it's the same basic cockpit design and the look is still present if it were 100% screen accurate.... you could even back convert it into it's Episode V state quite easily.

26285699963_fd1f6bd973_z.jpg

The roof of the canopy comes off to place the figure inside at the controls.

26285699763_cf0d1026f3_z.jpg

The ship features two engines and two laser cannons, plus a astro-droid fits where the gunner usually would go.

Okay, confession time: This model was made for use with my LEGO Universe - related Neo-Nexus Force stuff, and as such the wings should have this logo printed on the 2 x 2 curved slopes: http://alpha.brickli...68pb004#T=C&C=4 The model is featured along with the rest of the LU models in this thread there, but since it is also Star Wars related, I brought it home to this topic.

Here is the LDD file in case anyone wants it: http://www.moc-pages...1462716991m.lxf

Also, if anyone wants to see my other topic and it's models including the space base, its in the sci-fi forum at this link: http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=106512

EDIT:

Version 2

26868302476_77a998cb39_z.jpg

This version features less slopes and a more angular roof canopy, plus a different rear windscreen.

Comments, complaints, and questions welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

Now I really like the innovation that you gave to the snowspeeder, we have never gotten any snowspeeder with the curved slopes. And that is where I am a little iffy about this MOC. I am not sure if those curves are the best way to go. Off the top of my head, I see the snowspeeder as more of a blocky sloped ship, but I like your design as maybe a prototype snowspeeder or a more modern one.

Yeah... it looks nice, but a bit too curvy for the heavily angular aesthetic of the real thing. I wonder if a Snowspeeder (or Y-Wing...) would look good with the new-ish X-Wing canopy?

Yeah... it looks nice, but a bit too curvy for the heavily angular aesthetic of the real thing. I wonder if a Snowspeeder (or Y-Wing...) would look good with the new-ish X-Wing canopy?

I don't think the new X wing cockpit would work to well only because the Y wing and snow speeder cockpits are so unique. The cockpit part in use for the Y wing currently (older x wing canopy) works well and would be better if they just gave it a new print. I think they should just design a new canopy for the snow speeder. Although people I think wouldn't like it, I would prefer a one piece canopy.

Otherwise, the speed racer windscreens used in the moc are better for overall shaping than what LEGO is currently doing.

I don't think the new X wing cockpit would work to well only because the Y wing and snow speeder cockpits are so unique. The cockpit part in use for the Y wing currently (older x wing canopy) works well and would be better if they just gave it a new print. I think they should just design a new canopy for the snow speeder. Although people I think wouldn't like it, I would prefer a one piece canopy.

Otherwise, the speed racer windscreens used in the moc are better for overall shaping than what LEGO is currently doing.

Now I really like the innovation that you gave to the snowspeeder, we have never gotten any snowspeeder with the curved slopes. And that is where I am a little iffy about this MOC. I am not sure if those curves are the best way to go. Off the top of my head, I see the snowspeeder as more of a blocky sloped ship, but I like your design as maybe a prototype snowspeeder or a more modern one.

Nice work with the cockpit!

Does this look better?

26868302476_77a998cb39_z.jpg

This version features less slopes and a more angular roof canopy, plus a different rear windscreen.

Nice try, but I think the design on TLG's snow speeder is already good enough. The only thing that TLG's snowpseeder needs is a new cockpit canopy piece.

Pretty good. The tiling on the rear part of the engines is a bit rough. Just because it can be tiled, doesn't mean it should. For instance, check out 7784: http://www.brickshel...go_7784-112.jpg . There's all those exposed studs on the top, and tiling them would look absolutely awful. Embrace the stud!

Im not trying to take away from your creation but check-out this thread on one of the best mini-fig scale T-47 snowspeeders created.

http://www.eurobrick...pic=112692&st=0

Nice try, but I think the design on TLG's snow speeder is already good enough. The only thing that TLG's snowpseeder needs is a new cockpit canopy piece.

Looks to smooth, it was very blocky in the movie

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I will consider un-tiling the rear near the engines, and as to the other snow speeder ecmo47 pointed out: it looks way better than mine, but mine is more like Lego would design it as if it were a set. ( I used only brick legal connections with more than one stud - connection point.)

I'm not trying to be a troll but I do not understand the point of your design. Why try to build something " like Lego would design it as if it were a set"? As you have said, Lego has already done this model several times over and, frankly, their versions are better then yours in several ways: cockpit opens, speed brakes operate, tow cable installed, etc. You have removed all the fun play features and not added any relevant details to make up for this loss.

Personally, I want to see new and stunning things that Lego hasn't done on Eurobrick.

I split my time between Star Wars and the Train Tech forum so I am familiar with your posts over there, many which are interesting and well thought out. I've seen you do some cool stuff, I just don't think this is one of them. But this is just one opinion from a guy that wishes he did much more building and designing.

Edited by ecmo47

Hi, well, I agree with emco47. I don't understand all the throughout presentation (almost a study) of this as a 'new way of creating snowspeeders' since the model itself really isn't that groundbreaking. TLG version may not be 100% perfect, true, yet this looks worse in every aspect (less accurate shape - these curved slopes and weird nose look particularly out of place, less details, no gunner seat - astromech head instead...)

And regarding this:

...but mine is more like Lego would design it as if it were a set.

I think that with no play features, it's a bit unsupported claim:) Rigid and legal connection are cool and I like MOCs that try to incorporate Lego set standards but here it clearly goes at the expense of overal design quality.

Eventhough all negative, I hope you won't be offended by this criticism. Being the same kind of forumer as emco47, I also like and admire some of your technic stuff and I bet you can do much better than this with SW models :)