lpglego

A naturalist´s Voyage Round the World. HMS Beagle LEGO model, vignett

Between 1831 and 1836, the survey ship HMS Beagle and its crew made an exploration trip around the world. This LEGO project consist in the LEGO model of the HMS Beagle (at minifig scale) and four vignettes with key moments of the voyage: Patagonia, Andes Mountains, Galapagos Islands and Tahiti. It features many minifigures, including Charles Darwin and Captain Fitzroy.

You can find more pictures in my flickr album: https://flic.kr/s/aHsk4CCjHX

This actual model is based on my LEGO Ideas project HMS Beagle, that reached the 10k supporters and now is in Review. I made the LEGO Ideas project with LDD, but also I built this real model and vignettes for displaying at my home.

2450979-o_1aieahq3i1l1h1sjufeh4nn10csj-full.jpeg

HMS Beagle

2456549-o_1aioduo4n36s6bv1jh3hjf129gf-full.jpeg

Darwin in the tropical forest (Brazil)."The day has past delightfully. Delight itself, however is a weak term to express the feelings of a naturalist who, for the first time, has wandered by himself in a Brazilian forest. The elegance of the grasses, the novelty of the parasitical plants, the beauty of the flowers, the glossy Green of the foliage, but above all the general luxuriance of the vegetation, filled me with admiration."

Charles Darwin, Journal of Researches

2450982-o_1aieahq3ih37195a1l9knsu1ufdk-full.jpeg

Darwin exploring Pampas and Patagonia with a gaucho. "There is high enjoyment in the independence of the Gaucho life -to be able in any moment to pull up your horse, and say here we will pass the night". Charles Darwin, Journal of Researches

2456552-o_1aioduo4o1jla1o2sic2s6a1t4jg-full.jpeg

Darwin exploring Tierra del Fuego. The Beagle channel was named after the HMS Beagle.

2450985-o_1aieahq3i1gord4u1t741abg87il-full.jpeg

Darwin crossing the Andes Mountains, guided by an "arriero". "The condors may oftentimes be seen at a great height, soaring over a certain spot in the most graceful circles. On some ocasions I am sure that they do this only for pleasure, but in others, the Chileno countryman tells you that they are watching a dying animal..." Charles Darwin, Journal of Researches.

2450988-o_1aieahq3i1ki9122n4gcas6ecem-full.jpeg

Darwin riding a tortoise in the Galapagos Islands. "I frequently got on their backs, and then giving a few raps on the hinder part of their shells, they would rise up and walk away- but I found it very difficult to keep my balance". Charles Darwin, Journal of Researches

2450991-o_1aieahq3i1hv6bfg63m10e5adun-full.jpeg

Darwin in Tahiti. "Numbers of children were playing in the beach, and had lighted bonfires which illumined the placid sea and surrounding trees; others, in circles, were singing tahitian verses. We seated ourselves on the sand, and joined the party". Charles Darwin, Journal of Researches.

"Pine-apples are here so abundant that the people eat them in the same wasteful manner as we might turpins. They are of an excellent flavour". Charles Darwin, Journal of Researches.

2450998-o_1aieb8a9a1tpi8iujo91s4i11t6e-full.jpeg

HMS Beagle. Forecastle detail

2451001-o_1aieb966v15u91oqe1nlgogc1faaj-full.jpeg

HMS Beagle. Stern detail

2451008-o_1aiebkql4u7ldpg14trju113j4j-full.jpeg

Robert Fitzroy, captain of the HMS Beagle

2451005-o_1aiebgcee16lg1fic1uv48a41brne-full.jpeg

HMS Beagle. Conrad Martens, ship´s artist

2450994-o_1aieahq3i7l74if6sh8u4dj6o-full.jpeg

Darwin and Syms Covington. Syms Covington was Darwin´s assistant.

Edited by lpglego
Removed over-sized pictures.

That ship looks very fine! You did a great job with it! Idk I you saw but they did make a beagle on Lego ideas, and right not it is being reviewed to get passed! Anyways your ship looks very nicely done and I love how you used Bilbo's torso for Darwin! Great look! Good job!

It's a beautiful design. Here's for hoping it goes well with the Lego Ideas review.

Any particular reason the lower hull in this version is different then the version under review?

That ship looks very fine! You did a great job with it! Idk I you saw but they did make a beagle on Lego ideas, and right not it is being reviewed to get passed! Anyways your ship looks very nicely done and I love how you used Bilbo's torso for Darwin! Great look! Good job!

Hello: thank you for your comment. The HMS Beagle LEGO Ideas project is mine! I used a LDD model for LEGO Ideas with more than 2K pieces. In the actual model, I replace the "brick sails" with cloth sails. It is a model that I built for displaying at my home.

Kind regards

Edited by lpglego

It's a beautiful design. Here's for hoping it goes well with the Lego Ideas review.

Any particular reason the lower hull in this version is different then the version under review?

Hello: thank you for your comment. For the actual model I used mainly the available bricks on my collection, plus the cloth sails and sone animals (ostrich, penguin) that I bought specially for this project. So there are a few differences, but the brick count is substantially lower, the final HMS Beagle model is about 1k pieces. Also I redesigned all the vignettes.

Kind regards

I saw this on flickr and have wondered why it has not appeared on Eurobricks - and there it is!

Great set of pictures, very fine creation and a fine salute to Mr. Darwin!

Hello: thank you for your comment. The HMS Beagle LEGO Ideas project is mine! I used a LDD model for LEGO Ideas with more than 2K pieces. In the actual model, I replace the "brick sails" with cloth sails. It is a model that I built for displaying at my home.

Kind regards

Oh really! Dude first thing is first! The beagle you made for lego ideas is awesome!!!! I have been following the beagle through the review stage for quite some time! I still have my fingers crossed on it! I really want that Beagle! pirate_laugh2.gif, Anyways again great looking MOC, and lets hope that in the future everyone can own it! Thanks again!

Nice ship and the story in pictures really adds to your presentation! I like the creative use of different coloured bow pieces and the self made gun port hatches.

Can we get an extra picture of the stern please? default_blush.gif

Nice ship and the story in pictures really adds to your presentation! I like the creative use of different coloured bow pieces and the self made gun port hatches.

Can we get an extra picture of the stern please? default_blush.gif

Thank you!

Here you can find a picture of the stern:

HMS Beagle, poop detail

Regards

I saw this on flickr and have wondered why it has not appeared on Eurobricks - and there it is!

Great set of pictures, very fine creation and a fine salute to Mr. Darwin!

Thank you!

I changed you posted images to links. They're over sized. Site Guidelines state that Images rarely need to be over 800 x 600. 1,024 x 768 is the maximum.

Feel free to edit your first post with down-sized images or the medium sized images from Flickr.

I changed you posted images to links. They're over sized. Site Guidelines state that Images rarely need to be over 800 x 600. 1,024 x 768 is the maximum.

Feel free to edit your first post with down-sized images or the medium sized images from Flickr.

Hello, I fixed the images to fit to the rules. Sorry for inconvenience.

Kind regards

An awesome, very detailed creation. I think I supported it in LEGO Ideas.

Thank you very much!

Your project made me sign up for Ideas--hope it gets approved! The favorite MOC I ever built as a child was HMS Beagle (inspired by a television series on BBC/PBS). Of course there were far fewer kinds of pieces to work with back then...

Nice to see Beagle appear here in real bricks!

Your project made me sign up for Ideas--hope it gets approved! The favorite MOC I ever built as a child was HMS Beagle (inspired by a television series on BBC/PBS). Of course there were far fewer kinds of pieces to work with back then...

Nice to see Beagle appear here in real bricks!

Thank you very much!

Sad that your Lego Ideas project was not picked. I too originally signed up on Lego Ideas just to support your design. Thanks for showing us your MOC made out of real bricks. The ship and the vignettes turned out very well.

Thank you very much!

It is hard to be "not approved".

Regards

Luis

Sad that your Lego Ideas project was not picked. I too originally signed up on Lego Ideas just to support your design. Thanks for showing us your MOC made out of real bricks. The ship and the vignettes turned out very well.