BrickPerfection

32 gun frigate Concorde (French, ca.1760-1780)

Hey folks,

This creation was finished in 2012, among with the rest of my fleet of 8 vessels. 6 of these ships have been built in parallel using some exciting new techniques that I boldly labelled "nextgen" as it took build quality to a whole new level. Essential features are a innovative hull technique (that essentially show I could have done it without prefabs, retaining only the lower parts), complete accessible interior, and drastically improved sails and rigging. For some reasons I never posted any of these ships, so tonight I just took my smartphone and made a start.

Concorde is a 32-gun Frigate which was modelled after French ships from roughly 1760-1780. The colour scheme, sail plan and size and gun count are roughly historically accurate. However, she still offers herself to all kinds of play and postures, because I believe a Lego creation should be good for more than just first looks. Enjoy!

concorde_-_1.jpg

concorde_-_2.jpg

concorde_-_3.jpg

concorde_-_4.jpg

concorde_-_6.jpg

concorde_-_7.jpg

concorde_-_8.jpg

concorde_-_9.jpg

concorde_-_10.jpg

concorde_-_5.jpg

concorde_-_11.jpg

concorde_-_12.jpg

concorde_-_13.jpg

concorde_-_14.jpg

concorde_-_15.jpg

concorde_-_16.jpg

concorde_-_17.jpg

concorde_-_18.jpg

concorde_-_19.jpg

concorde_-_20.jpg

concorde_-_21.jpg

concorde_-_22.jpg

concorde_-_23.jpg

concorde_-_24.jpg

concorde_-_25.jpg

concorde_-_26.jpg

concorde_-_27.jpg

concorde_-_28.jpg

concorde_-_29.jpg

Edited by Imperial Shipyards

Holy crap! This is amazing!

Not that we should expect anything less from the guy who brought us Achille. Your details, as usual, are amazing. I love the pumps on the gun deck, and the stern face is absolutely perfect.

I'm curious about the mid-ship capstan on the gun deck, though. What is its purpose? I'm also curious about how several of your ships have guns in the captain's cabin. Was this common practice back in the day? I always thought only officers were allowed in there, except for in special circumstances.

Additionally, it looks like the sides of the gun deck are only one brick thick, yet you've managed to mount your gunports flush with the rest of the hull. Would you be willing to share how you did that?

Edited by Cousarmy0001

This ship is soooooo beautiful!!!!!! I did not expect it to look this nice!!! the outside is amazing already but having a full on interior!!! amazing. I would give you some tips for stuff to add but...there is nothing to add! Its perfect!

GREAT JOB!!! pirate_classic.gifpirate_laugh2.gif:thumbup:pirate_wink.gif

Now THAT is one sweet looking Lego ship!! Awesome build and excellent details. What's the piece count like? I didn't know you could make ships out of Lego like this! pirate_satisfied.gif

The hero returns pir_laugh2.gif that's a well built hull, I may have to borrow a few ideas...

Look forward to seeing the rest of your new fleet!

Shiver me timbers, this is fantastic.

Excellent ship you have there, sir! Great that you have shared so many details with us (but I am still afraid of custom rigging...)

:thumbup:

Finally, after quite some time you show one of your beautiful ships again! I really like her. Trying to reproduce you technic with the tubes still give me hurting fingers, for some years now, but I finally made one version I liked. Can't wait for the Bomb ketch. Thanks for sharing the secret of the new great cabin. I really like the way you used snot instead of extra Part of the prefab hulls from the pearl. Thanks for sharing!

Wonderful job! I to would like to know how you made the gunports fit so nicely. The work on the stern is top notch.

I like this ship a lot

It looks like you glued the horisontal ropes on the vertical ones, did this happen before or after rigging the masts?

Thanks for sharing

Thanks guys, it is great to hear from you! I'll proof that I've got the rest of the fleet eventually :pir-grin:

I'm curious about the mid-ship capstan on the gun deck, though. What is its purpose? I'm also curious about how several of your ships have guns in the captain's cabin. Was this common practice back in the day? I always thought only officers were allowed in there, except for in special circumstances.

Usually, the old ships had more than one capstan; smaller one on the topdeck would be used to lower the boats and move cargo, the bigger one on the gundeck (and below) to move the main anchor. Guns in captain's quarters were normal on every warship. 10% more firepower after all. Visit HMS Victory, for example.

Wonderful job! I to would like to know how you made the gunports fit so nicely.

I used headlight bricks for the gunports; old trick that I've done for ages. It looks good, but is expensive partwise.

It looks like you glued the horizontal ropes on the vertical ones, did this happen before or after rigging the masts?

I did this afterwards using a ruler. I was too lazy and not concetrated enough to make all knots. Admiral Croissant did though, on his "Vesta".

Finally, after quite some time you show one of your beautiful ships again! I really like her. Trying to reproduce you technic with the tubes still give me hurting fingers, for some years now, but I finally made one version I liked. Can't wait for the Bomb ketch. Thanks for sharing the secret of the new great cabin. I really like the way you used snot instead of extra Part of the prefab hulls from the pearl. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you! Soo good to hear from you :) Taking the pictures may take a while though, unfortunately.

That is one beautiful frigate, the amount of detail you've crammed into her is amazing and the interior...wow. Top notch!

Thanks! You've inspired my frigate madness after all, though I suppose I could've started building more MOCs in different themes. But I wanted my ships to be better, and even better...

Stunning work! Perfectionist I should say! I would expect anything less from you. It's great to see you back at the forums!

Amazing work perfectionist! I giess you could say move over achille here comes the concorde! I remember years ago when you uploaded the achille with new techniques such as your headrails! Best and most realistic design. I love you new hull techniques this time around, the slopes in the stern area seem to make it easier to bring the side galleries into the side wall. The interior is awesome so much detail. Your sails also are nicely down. The outlines around the edges make them stand out. Last thing is for future reference, On your rope ladders theres a fabric glue called crafters pick ultimate. It bonds string together, that way you wont get those glue bubbles on the side. Im currently using it. Best glue for that.

Wow, this is huge! pirate_oh.gif Surprised I haven't commented on this already. From the sails, to the cannons, to the detail on the interior this ship is an all-around masterpiece. Congrats!

This is as good as it gets!

Amazingly detailed and beautiful frigate, I love it :wub: