I am looking to build a MOC and want to use drivers either equal in scale the PRR's T1 or larger in scale. I believe BBB XL drivers are still too small, so what is the next best option?

Here are a few I was thinking of:

1) Contacting BBB and trying to get a custom set of deivers made.

2) Contacting the custom siderods guy and getting a custom,set of drivers made.

3) Purchasing Lionel T1 wheels and modifying a few bricks to use them.

1 and 2 will be pricey, but it will be closer to true lego.

3 will add weight, improve traction, and reduce derails at high speed, but will need to modify lego brick.

Other suggestions welcome!

I am looking to build a MOC and want to use drivers either equal in scale the PRR's T1 or larger in scale. I believe BBB XL drivers are still too small, so what is the next best option?

3 will add weight, improve traction, and reduce derails at high speed, but will need to modify lego brick.

1) the cost of a new injection mold is in the multiple thousands of dollars. I can just about guarantee you BBB isn't interested right now.

2) Benn's siderods bend and snap easily, and wear down too easily for wheels. The material is just not made for that.

3) I have no experience with this.

--Tony

Shoot me a drawing of what you want. I can get you an actual quote on what tooling and piece parts would cost in ABS. Expect about $5-8k for tooling and $.25-.50/piece. Alternatively, you could MIM (Metal-Injection-Mold) these in something like zinc, which would give you the weight you want for about the same piece price, but at about $25k for tooling.

Unless you want 5000 of these, you're best bet is probably to just 3D print them in ABS or metal, and then sand and polish by hand.

In case of 3D printing I recommend shapeways! I have used that for other (non-LEGO) prototype items, but they are very good, especially the acrylic material.

You might be also able to 3D print at your local public library. Some of them have 3D printers to use for free or a small fee. They can be a lot cheaper than Shapeways depending on your requirements.

You might be also able to 3D print at your local public library. Some of them have 3D printers to use for free or a small fee. They can be a lot cheaper than Shapeways depending on your requirements.

Unless your local library is really rolling in cash, the print quality is going to be pretty poor from the types of printer that they have.

Try contacting Bricksonwheels on Flickr. In the description for the pic at the following link, He mentioned having 30.5mm drivers 3d printed for a UP Big Boy project.

WIP - LEGO Big Boy Tender 1:38

Currently working on a 43.2mm "XXL" spoked driver in printed ABS, one variation for a famous northeast train, the other patterned after the B&M P4 and New Haven I4 locomotives. 36.8mm North American Boxpok as used on the Canadian National Northerns also in the works.

Stay tuned for details.

Are you sure you want to go bigger? I'd say BBB XL is about as big as you'd want to run on Lego track.

Are you aware of this project?

26020155500_c39d9b1dd4_z.jpg

Wheel development.. by Bricksonwheels, on Flickr

I heard a rumor, but that was all! Will look into it for sure.

As to the couple grand for molds, no thanks lol.

I do want quite large drive wheels though.

I would not rule out #3 if you can find good stock to work with.

At the moment I am reluctant to attempt wheels, I don't think I could get the axle hole with sufficient precision to reliably fit an axle with sufficient clutch to also hold it. As already mentioned in this thread, several folks have already started in that direction, including one that I had not yet seen mentioned by legoman666. And another by technoandrew on Flickr. That said, if you are ever in the market for rods, I might have what you need...

rv2-6rr.jpg_thumb.jpgrv2-7r.jpg_thumb.jpg

Currently working on a 43.2mm "XXL" spoked driver in printed ABS, one variation for a famous northeast train, the other patterned after the B&M P4 and New Haven I4 locomotives. 36.8mm North American Boxpok as used on the Canadian National Northerns also in the works.

Mmmm... Boxpox!