anothergol

The best of the worst Lego Ideas

3 hours ago, jamesn said:

Tracy Emin is an English artist who eschews oil painting, etc. in order to focus on abstract art. She is highly trained, but I suspect you would denigrate her work as "crap";

Just checked it, I think it's crap. (I mean really? This is not crap for you?)P11566_10.jpg

And I haven't written that being trained made you a good artist. I wrote that a good artist is trained.
Oh and yes, there are also good, trained artists who have chosen to do crap for whatever reason (because there's a fanbase for this crap? Who knows). Obviously one who can do the best, can easily achieve the worst.

El Greco and Goya are fairly old artists who set themselves apart from the art world of their times with unique stylistic choices;

hum what? They're both quite obviously good craftsmen.

Thomas Kinkade is an American artist who has become something of a meme because his paintings are highly detailed and painted with good technique, but his work is not considered "real art" because he commercialized it;

I don't see what's your point here but there are many like him, and I consider them all artists.
I truly hate this Disney style but I love those like Luis Royo, Boris Valejo or Sorayama, who have done eroic/erotic fantasy stuff that I like, and are excellent craftsmen who are sometimes not considered artists.

Bob Ross didn't commercialize his work, but he did have a TV show in which he showed various painting techniques. You cannot deny that he has decent technique, but he is, like Thomas Kinkade, "not a serious artist".

but he is an artist. Another one I don't like at all, but still an artist who deserves respect.

Mozart wrote high-quality music when he was literally a child.

Oh don't get me started in music because there's a lot of imposture there too.
Music is very mathematic & logical, & what Mozart wrote as a child, a AI can generate it. Lots of things in classical music people wouldn't dare to critisize, while it's often pretty basic. I don't think a 5 year old could have written something as complex & interesting as Dvořák's new world symphony.
(plus, being a child doesn't mean you haven't been trained)

Edited by anothergol

Just now, koalayummies said:

Tracey Emin's mention should really have a disclaimer. Like, you might experience rage after googling. 

It's also quite infuriating that she gets away with rough penis drawings passing as art, while the exact same thing on your neighbor's piece of paper at school, got you in troubles when you were a kid :)

25 minutes ago, anothergol said:

And I haven't written that being trained made you a good artist. I wrote that a good artist is trained.
[...] Obviously one who can do the best, can easily achieve the worst.

Let's apply this concept to builders: some of them are talented, trained, both, or neither. What we all have in common is that we like LEGO to a greater or lesser extent, thus regardless of our level of skill we shall build with bricks. LEGO Ideas is not a beauty contest, and from a markting perspective "it's childish" isn't a good argument. 

1 hour ago, Exetrius said:

LEGO Ideas is not a beauty contest

Well here's why we can't agree then. To me it totally is.

Well maybe not totally, because "play features" play a role as well. The "maze" project didn't have to be beautiful (but it still was), it had other merits.
Other than that, why would you want a set that is ugly & has no play features? "For the minifigs" isn't even a valid answer, as Ideas projects cannot really be battlepacks.
Do you find it ok to vote for that project to "support Peru"?

A democratic place for MOCs is Flickr. All skills are allowed, no one will complain about skills there.

1 hour ago, parsom said:

OK, so what about Nikifor. Was he artist or not?

I'd say he would have been unknown if he didn't have a strange face

Edited by anothergol

1 hour ago, Exetrius said:

Let's apply this concept to builders: some of them are talented, trained, both, or neither. What we all have in common is that we like LEGO to a greater or lesser extent, thus regardless of our level of skill we shall build with bricks. LEGO Ideas is not a beauty contest, and from a markting perspective "it's childish" isn't a good argument. 

:thumbup:

What is the point of voting for an Ideas project? So TLG will consider making and selling it. Why would they sell it? Because people would buy it. Why would people buy it? For parts, for display or for play. Why would people display it? Because they think it looks good. If a child could easily throw something similar together themself it does make it a pointless Ideas project for display, because who would bother with it? What is the point of trying to sell a kindergarten-style finger paint when little Jimmy can make you one? So if an Ideas project is childish, that IS a good argument against it.

7 hours ago, anothergol said:

Well here's why we can't agree then. To me it totally is.

To me, it's more about the idea.  A great idea done with a certain mediocrity can be chosen and redone by LEGO to be a far superior, visually pleasing, fun to build set.

On 12/7/2018 at 2:06 PM, anothergol said:

Let me google-image "belgian folklore" for a laugh. What is this? I don't know. Looks like crap to me, and I wouldn't feel insulted if someone said it was crap. I don't think it's made for belgian, or if it is, it's a pretty local thing.

2010PoraisTilffois.JPG

Indeed I easily recognize the location but no idea of what is that event :laugh:

13 hours ago, Artanis I said:

So if an Ideas project is childish, that IS a good argument against it.

Although that still might be a decent parts set.

9 hours ago, x105Black said:

To me, it's more about the idea.  A great idea done with a certain mediocrity can be chosen and redone by LEGO to be a far superior, visually pleasing, fun to build set.

Yeah that's when people take the "Ideas" name too litterally.

But while it's true that Lego generally (& SADLY for half of them) redesigns the sets, sometimes they don't, and you end up with a set like Adventure Time. I haven't read any good comment on that one. I bought it because I love Adventure Time, and let's face it, that's the only reason people voted it, and the only reason Lego produced it. I thought I'd appreciate it in hands, but no, the only thing interesting in that set, is Adventure Time.
I wonder how many voted it and bought it btw. It's also quite possible that people voted it in hope that Lego would start an Adventure Time theme, and weren't insterested in the set in the first place. And in a way, it worked since it brought Adventure Time in Dimensions. Overexpensive, but at least good.

Edited by anothergol

I'd like to see more generic non-licensed yellow minifig scale sets make it through, but they don't seem very popular most of the time. Or are simply very large sets instead.

That's why I am extra happy to see something like the Food Stand Diners likely make it through to 10000 (9952 right now).

I know there's still another review round before that, and out of the 10, I do hope the Central Perk set makes it through, preferably even with Yellow minifig heads.

Edited by TeriXeri

2 hours ago, anothergol said:

Yeah that's when people take the "Ideas" name too litterally.

But while it's true that Lego generally (& SADLY for half of them) redesigns the sets, sometimes they don't, and you end up with a set like Adventure Time. I haven't read any good comment on that one. I bought it because I love Adventure Time, and let's face it, that's the only reason people voted it, and the only reason Lego produced it. I thought I'd appreciate it in hands, but no, the only thing interesting in that set, is Adventure Time.
I wonder how many voted it and bought it btw. It's also quite possible that people voted it in hope that Lego would start an Adventure Time theme, and weren't insterested in the set in the first place. And in a way, it worked since it brought Adventure Time in Dimensions. Overexpensive, but at least good.

I disagree that this is too literal.  I do understand the concept of taking 'Ideas' too literally, but this is more than just a concept and a completely crap build.  The Peruvian project demonstrates what the project should be with some proficiency, and that could be expanded upon by LEGO professionals.

I completely agree about Adventure Time.  I had no interest in the set beyond the license.  I'm still very interested in minifigure scale sets using that license.

3 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I'd like to see more generic non-licensed yellow minifig scale sets make it through, but they don't seem very popular most of the time. Or are simply very large sets instead.

That's why I am extra happy to see something like the Food Stand Diners likely make it through to 10000 (9952 right now).

I'm the opposite. To me, the food stands just look like a City set should. While they are better than many normal City sets, that is probably due to the part count given to each of the builds.

44 minutes ago, MAB said:

I'm the opposite. To me, the food stands just look like a City set should. While they are better than many normal City sets, that is probably due to the part count given to each of the builds.

There only has been a handful of City sets with food shops in it and 2017 Pizza Van has been the only one that wasn't part of a larger set:

City Corner 2009 - Pizzeria ~€55 at the time

Town Square 2013 - Pizzeria €100

City Square 2015 - Hot Dog Cart/ Coffee Stand €170

Capital City 2018 - Hot Dog Stand €130

Burger Bar + Firetruck. (2019) 

There's been a few more polybags or sets with hot-dog stands. (2016 Fun in the Park / 2016 Fire Station / 2018 hot dog stand polybag promo)

At least there seems to be a trend toward more food sets in recent years, including Creator's 2016 Corner Deli, and 2018 Sweets shop.

I consider Friends set as a different category entirely.

I guess we won't even know if this set makes it through the reviews until like mid 2019, so even so, we won't see this set until at least 2020.

Edited by TeriXeri

There is also the Winter Village Market that contains a number of small booths, including some food stalls. We get little bits of food in many sets, but I don't think City sets tend to be dominated by food shops as boys tend not to play cafes. As you say, Friends sets have lots of food shops and cafes, presumably girls tend to like playing cafes more than boys. And for adults and older teens, there have been sets such as the Parisian Restaurant, the Downtown Diner, etc, so adults are covered.