anothergol

The best of the worst Lego Ideas

I'd generally prefer Blondie-Wan approach. I'd much rather the filtering were improved than attempt to get unlikely projects off the site.

Pff, first, with that logic, you can't critisize anything, because everyone who has done crap, has done -something- for the society.

Those projects are not just guilty of being crap, they're also guilty of crowding something we use.

Going to some kid's personal blog to mock his Lego creations, that would indeed make you a douche.

An unskilled builder does not mean someone is trolling, mocking builders... or anything of that nature. Like with sets, if you don't like them, don't buy them. And the same thing applies here, if you don't like it, don't vote for it and just move on.

Like with sets, if you don't like them, don't buy them. And the same thing applies here, if you don't like it,

Like with sets? Funny, considering how "attack on Hoth" got beaten, while it's nowhere near the joke that these entries are.

And we -do- like those entries. Being so unintentionally bad is their quality. The actors behing Samurai Cop must be pretty happy that the movie got so popular for being so bad - a sequel got made.

Edited by anothergol

The actors behing [sic] Samurai Cop must be pretty happy that the movie got so popular for being so bad - a sequel got made.

The producers, maybe. The actors, probably not so much.

Granted, I've never heard of the film, but I can't imagine any actor would like the height of their career (And the only reason they get hired) to be a crappy film, even if it's popular.

The producers, maybe. The actors, probably not so much.

Granted, I've never heard of the film, but I can't imagine any actor would like the height of their career (And the only reason they get hired) to be a crappy film, even if it's popular.

The actors, not the producer.

Trust me the guy isn't as dumb as he looks, is aware of what the movie was and chose to surf on it.

Well I will not argue with you about it, because I know nothing about it and I'll trust you're correct.

I don't mind the bad ideas on Ideas, personally. I think they're fun.

This one is simultaneously best and worst:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/140735

Salutations Lego fans! Today i have something new and very different for you today. I decided to build something which shows humour. I chose to build a toilet. But this is not like your ordinary toilet it does not have a nice side and its after revenge. This build has a mouth that can move up and down eyes that can move in any direction and the tough can move up and down. There are a few different pieces that helps to bring this creation to life.

Supported.

This

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/141537

It's not the kids MOC that's so bad but this line....

"Several of the models break over the course of time and I have big boxes where they ended up as thousands of spare parts. There was not a viable recycling option near my home and I decided to do something useful with the pieces."

Wait! WHAT?

Does he know lego is re-useable?

Edited by Modelmaker

This

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/141537

It's not the kids MOC that's so bad but this line....

"Several of the models break over the course of time and I have big boxes where they ended up as thousands of spare parts. There was not a viable recycling option near my home and I decided to do something useful with the pieces."

Wait! WHAT?

It does raise a good point, Lego hasn't released a massive cruise ship model in recent years. I'd pay a good wad of cash for a good D2C cruise ship.

But yeah I can't bash to much on the kid... Dang it.

Edited by xboxtravis7992

What triggers Poe's Law for me would be the sand yellow panel with the RAF roundel sticker and some of the very large plates, which show that they owned a Sopwith Camel at one point - not an easy model to build. Maybe by "recycling", they mean donating to a charity shop or day centre.

I found one that's kind of unsanitary today :look: .

2461150-o_1aivhotvi1jq62sgrjbs06b7te-full.jpeg

Lego Tooth Box

The build is okay, but that's a human tooth. Someone lost a baby tooth, and what did they think? "Huh, I should keep my teeth in a Lego box." And they thought they should post it online, so other people can keep their teeth in Lego boxes.

*snip*

Lego Tooth Box

The build is okay, but that's a human tooth. Someone lost a baby tooth, and what did they think? "Huh, I should keep my teeth in a Lego box." And they thought they should post it online, so other people can keep their teeth in Lego boxes.

That just reminded me that my mother has all most all of my baby teeth stored away in an old film roll canister... :sceptic: I don't get it, but if she wants to keep them fine; I don't need them anymore!

So when you are under suspicion for murder, she can supply a DNA sample to the police even though you are on the run. Mothers are always prepared for the worst.

Lego Tooth Box

I know a lot of children like to place their teeth under their pillow so the "Tooth Fairy" can replace it with money, so maybe this serves a similar function, i.e. a tooth is kept in the box at night and the parent replaces it with money? Either way, I do agree that the presentation of this is odd and kind off putting.

That said though, the build is a lot more likely to happen than people who make 20,000 piece creations.

So when you are under suspicion for murder, she can supply a DNA sample to the police even though you are on the run. Mothers are always prepared for the worst.

Bwhahahaha!

I don't know which one is the best this week. Because it'd be hard to beat the shoes:

2470117-o_1aje7ho6q1c9mnue1l2d139k7i37-full.png

However I like this guy who thought, hey, if Lego hasn't approved this gem

1955180-o_19o5gmqqg1ca9kiigjggm61pqqc-full.jpg

...maybe they will approve this?

2467008-o_1aj7uvfsr4i18m91cqv2mt17dn7-full.png

The problem is the people on ideas don't speak up and say whether something won't pass, what they do do is patronise the builder with "wow, supported!" "Looks great supported!" and "I'd so buy this supported!" How can they not see what's wrong with these ideas? That tooth box for goodness sake! The idea? Fine. But showing it off with a real human tooth and still getting votes? How on earth do these things makes sense? Sorry for the rant, I'll let myself out.

The problem is the people on ideas don't speak up and say whether something won't pass, what they do do is patronise the builder with "wow, supported!" "Looks great supported!" and "I'd so buy this supported!" How can they not see what's wrong with these ideas?

I actually do occasionally see people post comments to note the unlikelihood of a project passing, albeit usually from legal grounds - opining nothing from a given license is doable because another construction toy company has the rights, for example. I think most people are too polite to say "this build sucks" directly to the creators of the projects (which of course I maintain is more a good thing than a bad one), and IIRC it's also frowned upon in the user guidelines anyway. One can find a fair amount of more constructive feedback, though - "perhaps you might try building this part like this", and so on, and the creators will sometimes take such feedback into consideration when posting updates.

The creator joined just one month ago, and his/her supported projects already include that one and thirty-five others, all of them at least a bit better, many of them gorgeous, and many of them well on their way to ten thousand votes (a couple are in the eight thousands at the moment).

The creator joined a month ago and is already supporting close to sixty projects, three of which have hit the 10k goal.

The creator joined a month ago and is supporting this project and a dozen others, all of them nicer, and one of which is already in review.

Apparently, and an adult who's supported hundreds of other people's projects, at that, including quite a few to hit the magic 10k and make it to review. I didn't look at all of his supported projects - I stopped looking after 230 or so - so I don't know whether anything he voted for became a set, but at least a couple of things he supported are in review right now.

Also worth mentioning: that creator has been around on Ideas only a month, and already supported thirty-four projects, including one that got to 10k with his/her help.

I don't know, but six of the thirty-five projects the creator is supporting are currently in review - that's more than one out of every six projects that person has voted for.

"I decided to create this while also supporting 174 other projects, including one now in review, and many others with respectable numbers of votes and climbing, thanks to people like me"

The first is by someone who joined just two weeks ago and is already supporting eight other projects, all with more votes than that one, some of them in the thousands of supports; one of them has in fact Achieved Support, thanks 1/10,000th to this Ideas user here.

The second of those is by someone supporting 81 other projects, including a few currently in review and one approved to become a set.

The third is supporting a total of 33 projects, including some really nice ones with thousands of votes.

Anyway, that creator is another one of those people supporting multiple hundreds of projects - far too many for me to look at all of them, but they do include multiple really great ones and popular vote-getters, including several that have earned their shot in review, including at least one that made it into a set.

I wonder if part of the reason they support so many other projects is to leave comments, in the hope that if they support others (esp popular projects) then they get support back from the creator and anyone else that happens to see their comment and clicks on their username.

I wonder if part of the reason they support so many other projects is to leave comments, in the hope that if they support others (esp popular projects) then they get support back from the creator and anyone else that happens to see their comment and clicks on their username.

That's entirely possible, but I don't think it accounts for all of their supports; I doubt each of them has commented on every other project they've supported.

Whatever the reason for their support, though, I think it's essential to the process. I know there are lots of Ideas users who sign up solely to support one particular project reflecting a passion of theirs, and then are never heard from on the site again. At the same time, though, there are lots of users who are like these folks here - people who might post projects of their own that some of us find lacking or even laughable, but who also support lots of other people's projects. Looking at their "Supporting" lists while making that post, I noticed a lot of overlap - many of them have supported a lot of the same projects as one another, including a lot of the popular vote-getters (including many that have been approved as sets).

My takeaway from that is that the top Ideas projects, while undoubtedly drawing single-support supporters who vote for things they're passionate about, also get a great deal of their support from these regular Ideas users. If all the people who submit projects of arguably dubious or minimal merit were to disappear from the site, the people who remain would find the streams of support for their own swankier projects drying up. I therefore hope things like this thread and the Tumblr blog don't discourage too many others from participating. That's my concern (aside from and in addition to the fact I think making a point of deriding creative efforts by regular people just isn't particularly nice).

Now that projects can't be edited

Can't they? I can still add updates to mine.

As for editing the original text, I don't remember it ever being editable - maybe when it was cuusoo?

What I find interesting was that I was looking through these the other day, saw the shoes and the Dino, and neither struck me as a terrible idea and burden to the website.

I chuckled at the impracticalness of the shoes, but it didn't even register that they would end up on this "Bad bad idea oh so bad" thread...

I saw both projects, and figured they might well wind up here. I didn't vote for either, but just went on to other fresh projects, without feeling compelled to bring these up here if no one else did.

That said, as long as they've come up now, I'll just quickly note that the Shoes creator joined just two weeks ago and is already supporting 39 projects, while the Arlo creator joined just six days ago and is already supporting nine projects.