anothergol

The best of the worst Lego Ideas

I'm really enjoying this one, and its description:

1959091-o_19occ870b1t9e1d2gb8far140hv-full.png

"Earth in a dark future, Lego has been banned.

Children can´t play with it. Worst, their parents can´t play with it.

Builders are persecuted, plastic geometrical shapes are a crime.

Only one being keep standing...

A strange passenger from a forgotten past.

He is... He is... Thanks Lord!!... He is the Last Brick on Earth."

1959091-o_19occ870b1t9e1d2gb8far140hv-full.png

That's amazing! :laugh::thumbup: Technically, the build isn't bad either, but the story really sells it! :tongue:

That one is pretty funny, in a good way. It's a good moc, even if it's not a good Idea's project.

But I am loving the blog shared last week, every day has a new terrible submission.

Everyone has his or her own preferences, but honestly, I don't see what's exciting about this... at all: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/91495 2000+ supporters! :wacko:

And I don't personally find sports appealing, but that doesn't mean other people can't. I do find that project appealing (I'm one of the 2000+ supporters), because science is cool and it's a good project of that subject, with a solid presentation. If you're not into it, that's fine, but that doesn't automatically make it a bad project.

Clicked this thread expecting a lot of backlash and how we shouldn't be doing this.

But, to my surprise, there's not.. that!

Okay, then, I guess it's time for me to step up and take a crack at it...

Here's a pretty bad one

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/129039

Why would someone make a set for an unreleased movie that was going to come out in 2009? Also what's up with that truck?

Without commenting on the execution of the model, I'll just note it serves as an additional scene created for a particular iteration of Spider-Man. It's not really any less suitable for a set than any other set TLG might create that's based on / set in the universe of a particular Spidey, but doesn't depict a specific scene actually depicted in a released story. That this model would depict an scene that was planned but never produced could (if the set were good) give it added appeal. And heck, Marvel used to have an entire ongoing comics title called What If?, depicting stories that didn't "really" happen in the "real" Marvel Comics universe.

That project creator, BTW, is supporting over 200 different Ideas projects, including his/her own, of course, but also dozens of others - some not great, but also some really good ones, including several that have made it to review. This brings me to something I want to point out about all of these things:

That project creator is also supporting hundreds of projects, including multiple ones that have made it to review (one of which is the Gingerbread House currently in review, and one many of us have opined in another thread is likely to pass).

The creator of that project has supported several projects, several of which made it to review, and one of which (Caterham Super 7) was recently approved.

A gem from the last batch:

2442114-o_1ahv00api1l5kgvp1ak85niqse7-full.png

- From another supporter of hundreds of other Ideas projects, including numerous ones that have made it to review (including at least four currently in review).

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/140210

-> if you've browsed the latest batch, you probably had the same reaction as I had when you saw it. I would assume trollism, but I'm not sure.

As read in the comments: "Nice job! It looks fantastic. I love the face!"

That project's creator joined just three months ago and has supported sixteen projects, which include that one, of course, but also include four (so far) that have gotten over a thousand votes, and at least one or two of them should make it to 10k and get their shot in review.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/102526

-> asking Lego to release a set on Milly Vanilly, that's fine trollism, I respect that. It also looks as bad as possible.

Having seen some of the other projects based on real-life performers, I have to take issue with that - it doesn't look anywhere nearly as bad as possible. Also, that's the same project creator as Last Brick on Earth, and when one looks at all of the many projects submitted by that creator, it isn't at all clear (s)he is just trolling; MutanerdA is actually a fairly capable builder, but one with what we might consider eccentric tastes. That's not to say he or she definitely isn't trolling - it could still be the case, but it's certainly not definite.

And as I mentioned earlier, that person is supporting hundreds of other projects, including a number that have made it to review.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/103796

-> took me time to realize that the frog wasn't the mech, there is a frog inside the capsule. I quite enjoyed the MS Paint background & shadow.

Another project creator who has also supported hundreds of other projects, most of them much more accomplished, including multiple projects that have made it to review, including multiple projects which were actually produced (WALL•E, the TARDIS, and the Maze, among the other first couple hundred or so projects I bothered to count in this user's Supporting tab).

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/137038

-> ok this one looks bad like many, but it's the description that makes it a gem. "I came up with an UFO because I think UFOs exist. I make this UFO design to represent what it looks like."

In the month since that project's submitter joined, he/she has supported four projects including that one, and the other three aren't too bad, and all have more votes than his/her own.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/137258

-> Dinotrux. It's a dino, it's a truck robot!

The creator joined just one month ago, and his/her supported projects already include that one and thirty-five others, all of them at least a bit better, many of them gorgeous, and many of them well on their way to ten thousand votes (a couple are in the eight thousands at the moment).

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/137259

-> picture a Rubik's cube that wouldn't move. That's the Multicube!

The creator joined a month ago and is already supporting close to sixty projects, three of which have hit the 10k goal.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/139046

-> "It is based off of Thomas Edisons lightbulb."

The creator joined a month ago and is supporting this project and a dozen others, all of them nicer, and one of which is already in review.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/102456

-> I enjoyed the shot to appreciate the details of the hound from the back. Judging by the theme, made by an adult?

Apparently, and an adult who's supported hundreds of other people's projects, at that, including quite a few to hit the magic 10k and make it to review. I didn't look at all of his supported projects - I stopped looking after 230 or so - so I don't know whether anything he voted for became a set, but at least a couple of things he supported are in review right now.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/138522

-> far from the worst technically, but someone made a project on Boaty McBoatFace, that's worth mentioning

Also worth mentioning: that creator has been around on Ideas only a month, and already supported thirty-four projects, including one that got to 10k with his/her help.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/137759

-> who said you needed wheels?

I don't know, but six of the thirty-five projects the creator is supporting are currently in review - that's more than one out of every six projects that person has voted for.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/130356

-> "I was washing dishes and I saw the blades for a food processor"

"I decided to create this while also supporting 174 other projects, including one now in review, and many others with respectable numbers of votes and climbing, thanks to people like me"

The first is by someone who joined just two weeks ago and is already supporting eight other projects, all with more votes than that one, some of them in the thousands of supports; one of them has in fact Achieved Support, thanks 1/10,000th to this Ideas user here.

The second of those is by someone supporting 81 other projects, including a few currently in review and one approved to become a set.

The third is supporting a total of 33 projects, including some really nice ones with thousands of votes.

In today's newest batch, how about this one

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/140578 - we just got a set just like this, and we just got the Assault on Hoth set. Why?

Maybe (s)he was working on it before either set appeared. It is at least a competent build, even if it's obviously something that TLG would do on its own and doesn't need Ideas for (and judging from the response around here to Assault on Hoth, a lot of people might actually prefer this anyway).

Anyway, that creator is another one of those people supporting multiple hundreds of projects - far too many for me to look at all of them, but they do include multiple really great ones and popular vote-getters, including several that have earned their shot in review, including at least one that made it into a set.

While I'm not sure it's nice to make fun of these, some are so bad that they might not be kids entries, but a form of trollism - sometimes I wish I knew the story behind their existence.

Just like bad movies, they're so bad they're good. And hey, they're what pollutes Lego Ideas, they asked for it.

You know, I'll agree that there are some terrible projects on Ideas, but the whole point of the platform is that we are supposed to be the filter; we support the things we like, and the stuff that's least-liked settles to the bottom. If you're not so sure it's nice to make fun of these, why not err on the side of caution and assume it isn't?

As a long-time MSTie, I get the appeal of having fun with the "so bad it's good" stuff, I really do, but there's a difference between bad movies that get made by ostensible professionals and commercially released, and these projects made by regular, non-professional builders as concept demos in the hopes TLG will approve them and refine them before releasing them as sets.

More importantly, though, even if some of these really deserve scorn, we have to ask whether it might be counterproductive to actually offer it. All these projects' submitters, however unskilled they may be, are at least contributing to the site and its community - and not just by submitting their own projects. Every one of the builders being shamed here, every single one, has supported other, greater projects, and helped the projects we like get the votes they need in order to get their shot before LEGO's review board. LEGO Ideas doesn't survive and thrive on the activity of just the handful of top, legendary builders alone; it depends upon the entire community, less-skilled members and wholly unskilled members included.

Thought experiment: If someone finds out he or she is being laughed at and mocked and derided and humiliated by a handful of strangers on a message board - or worse, a greater number of strangers on a dedicated Tumblr - how is that person going to respond? Of course, different people will respond in different ways; that said, there are enough thousands of people we're concerned with, here, that probably every semi-reasonable response we can think of will be someone's actual response. I can't help but wonder whether a lot of people, feeling this chastened (or afraid of becoming so) might not just refrain from posting their own projects but actually opt out of participating in Ideas at all. Now think of all the stuff that gets to review - sure, a few projects have made it very quickly indeed, but others have chugged along, taking most of their allotted time to accrue votes; this has been the case even with some that made it into sets. What would have happened with those if a sizable chunk of the Ideas user base had quit the platform?

I'm not a fan of raining on others' parade, but if given a choice between having a little mean-spirited fun mocking the building skills of strangers to whom I feel superior, or seeing a greater number of projects make it into the review batches and perhaps become cool LEGO sets I can get, I think I'll choose the latter. But hey, that's just me.

Okay, then, I guess it's time for me to step up and take a crack at it...

Without commenting on the execution of the model, I'll just note it serves as an additional scene created for a particular iteration of Spider-Man. It's not really any less suitable for a set than any other set TLG might create that's based on / set in the universe of a particular Spidey, but doesn't depict a specific scene actually depicted in a released story. That this model would depict an scene that was planned but never produced could (if the set were good) give it added appeal. And heck, Marvel used to have an entire ongoing comics title called What If?, depicting stories that didn't "really" happen in the "real" Marvel Comics universe.

That project creator, BTW, is supporting over 200 different Ideas projects, including his/her own, of course, but also dozens of others - some not great, but also some really good ones, including several that have made it to review. This brings me to something I want to point out about all of these things:

That project creator is also supporting hundreds of projects, including multiple ones that have made it to review (one of which is the Gingerbread House currently in review, and one many of us have opined in another thread is likely to pass).

The creator of that project has supported several projects, several of which made it to review, and one of which (Caterham Super 7) was recently approved.

- From another supporter of hundreds of other Ideas projects, including numerous ones that have made it to review (including at least four currently in review).

That project's creator joined just three months ago and has supported sixteen projects, which include that one, of course, but also include four (so far) that have gotten over a thousand votes, and at least one or two of them should make it to 10k and get their shot in review.

Having seen some of the other projects based on real-life performers, I have to take issue with that - it doesn't look anywhere nearly as bad as possible. Also, that's the same project creator as Last Brick on Earth, and when one looks at all of the many projects submitted by that creator, it isn't at all clear (s)he is just trolling; MutanerdA is actually a fairly capable builder, but one with what we might consider eccentric tastes. That's not to say he or she definitely isn't trolling - it could still be the case, but it's certainly not definite.

And as I mentioned earlier, that person is supporting hundreds of other projects, including a number that have made it to review.

Another project creator who has also supported hundreds of other projects, most of them much more accomplished, including multiple projects that have made it to review, including multiple projects which were actually produced (WALL•E, the TARDIS, and the Maze, among the other first couple hundred or so projects I bothered to count in this user's Supporting tab).

In the month since that project's submitter joined, he/she has supported four projects including that one, and the other three aren't too bad, and all have more votes than his/her own.

The creator joined just one month ago, and his/her supported projects already include that one and thirty-five others, all of them at least a bit better, many of them gorgeous, and many of them well on their way to ten thousand votes (a couple are in the eight thousands at the moment).

The creator joined a month ago and is already supporting close to sixty projects, three of which have hit the 10k goal.

The creator joined a month ago and is supporting this project and a dozen others, all of them nicer, and one of which is already in review.

Apparently, and an adult who's supported hundreds of other people's projects, at that, including quite a few to hit the magic 10k and make it to review. I didn't look at all of his supported projects - I stopped looking after 230 or so - so I don't know whether anything he voted for became a set, but at least a couple of things he supported are in review right now.

Also worth mentioning: that creator has been around on Ideas only a month, and already supported thirty-four projects, including one that got to 10k with his/her help.

I don't know, but six of the thirty-five projects the creator is supporting are currently in review - that's more than one out of every six projects that person has voted for.

"I decided to create this while also supporting 174 other projects, including one now in review, and many others with respectable numbers of votes and climbing, thanks to people like me"

The first is by someone who joined just two weeks ago and is already supporting eight other projects, all with more votes than that one, some of them in the thousands of supports; one of them has in fact Achieved Support, thanks 1/10,000th to this Ideas user here.

The second of those is by someone supporting 81 other projects, including a few currently in review and one approved to become a set.

The third is supporting a total of 33 projects, including some really nice ones with thousands of votes.

Maybe (s)he was working on it before either set appeared. It is at least a competent build, even if it's obviously something that TLG would do on its own and doesn't need Ideas for (and judging from the response around here to Assault on Hoth, a lot of people might actually prefer this anyway).

Anyway, that creator is another one of those people supporting multiple hundreds of projects - far too many for me to look at all of them, but they do include multiple really great ones and popular vote-getters, including several that have earned their shot in review, including at least one that made it into a set.

You know, I'll agree that there are some terrible projects on Ideas, but the whole point of the platform is that we are supposed to be the filter; we support the things we like, and the stuff that's least-liked settles to the bottom. If you're not so sure it's nice to make fun of these, why not err on the side of caution and assume it isn't?

As a long-time MSTie, I get the appeal of having fun with the "so bad it's good" stuff, I really do, but there's a difference between bad movies that get made by ostensible professionals and commercially released, and these projects made by regular, non-professional builders as concept demos in the hopes TLG will approve them and refine them before releasing them as sets.

More importantly, though, even if some of these really deserve scorn, we have to ask whether it might be counterproductive to actually offer it. All these projects' submitters, however unskilled they may be, are at least contributing to the site and its community - and not just by submitting their own projects. Every one of the builders being shamed here, every single one, has supported other, greater projects, and helped the projects we like get the votes they need in order to get their shot before LEGO's review board. LEGO Ideas doesn't survive and thrive on the activity of just the handful of top, legendary builders alone; it depends upon the entire community, less-skilled members and wholly unskilled members included.

Thought experiment: If someone finds out he or she is being laughed at and mocked and derided and humiliated by a handful of strangers on a message board - or worse, a greater number of strangers on a dedicated Tumblr - how is that person going to respond? Of course, different people will respond in different ways; that said, there are enough thousands of people we're concerned with, here, that probably every semi-reasonable response we can think of will be someone's actual response. I can't help but wonder whether a lot of people, feeling this chastened (or afraid of becoming so) might not just refrain from posting their own projects but actually opt out of participating in Ideas at all. Now think of all the stuff that gets to review - sure, a few projects have made it very quickly indeed, but others have chugged along, taking most of their allotted time to accrue votes; this has been the case even with some that made it into sets. What would have happened with those if a sizable chunk of the Ideas user base had quit the platform?

I'm not a fan of raining on others' parade, but if given a choice between having a little mean-spirited fun mocking the building skills of strangers to whom I feel superior, or seeing a greater number of projects make it into the review batches and perhaps become cool LEGO sets I can get, I think I'll choose the latter. But hey, that's just me.

*huh* What a MONSTROUSLY big post!

didnt-read.gif

Maybe later, though! :tongue:

There is a point I understand from that post, people who create poor Ideas projects oftentimes support great Ideas projects. And I will admit I had forgotten to consider that action.

But, for those who want to find those great projects; I think Ideas is unnecessarly cluttered by the poor projects many of which have been highlighted here. Yes I'm glad the creators of low quality projects are supporting other projects, but low quality Ideas tend to make it hard for me at least to find the great ones.

There is a point I understand from that post, people who create poor Ideas projects oftentimes support great Ideas projects. And I will admit I had forgotten to consider that action.

But, for those who want to find those great projects; I think Ideas is unnecessarly cluttered by the poor projects many of which have been highlighted here. Yes I'm glad the creators of low quality projects are supporting other projects, but low quality Ideas tend to make it hard for me at least to find the great ones.

But I think that's the point of Ideas really, to filter out the weak projects and find the strong ones; see which ones a popular amongst fans and which are not.

Supported!

More importantly, though, even if some of these really deserve scorn, we have to ask whether it might be counterproductive to actually offer it. All these projects' submitters, however unskilled they may be, are at least contributing to the site and its community - and not just by submitting their own projects. Every one of the builders being shamed here, every single one, has supported other, greater projects,

lol, why does it matter that the creators of those projects have supported other projects? It would have been weird if they hadn't supported anything so far.

lol, why does it matter that the creators of those projects have supported other projects? It would have been weird if they hadn't supported anything so far.

It matters because if we publicly mock and deride and shame those projects (as opposed to, say, just ignoring them and focusing our attention on the projects we like), we run the risk of alienating their creators, so that they cease participating in the whole LEGO Ideas enterprise at all - not just by no longer submitting projects, but also by no longer supporting other people's projects. If we humiliate less-skilled Ideas users into abandoning their efforts, we run the risk of diminishing the voter pool - and the sorts of really good projects that make it to review now will do so more slowly, or even not at all. There could be fewer projects making it into each review batch, leaving TLG with more meager options.

(That's in addition to our just being a bunch of smug jerks and making the world a less nice place, for whatever that's worth.)

I have supported loads of projects on ideas, but never submited one because i know that none of my MOC's are up to the standard needed to pass.

The people that have submitted some of the ideas in this post are like those people you see in the opening rounds of any of those Simon cowel tv shows, and are only given airtime to draw in an audience.

You share a not-up-to-scratch project on a website with voting and comments, you will get negative responses.

You don't need to upload yours to vote for other peoples good ones.

edit: I agree with the guy above. I don't share my stuff that sucks, no one wants to see that, and it's embarrassing. They only want to see the good stuff (if any) that I come up with, or what is plausable as a Lego set.

Edited by Artanis I

*Lots and Lots of Paragraphs about Diminishing a Voter Base*

giphy.gif

I appreciate the effort and analysis, but it's just some random thread on Eurobricks where we lightheartedly poke fun at people's lighthearted and fun creations. Are you sensing a lack of funniness or lightheartedness? If so, we can find ways to lightheartedly increase the levels of fun in this thread to the point where no one will be able to take our critiscism seriously. Funny, isn't it?

Edited by BrickJagger

Ironically this thread is helping increase of the votes of some of these obscure creations.

You share a not-up-to-scratch project on a website with voting and comments, you will get negative responses.

You don't need to upload yours to vote for other peoples good ones.

But you also don't need to castigate people for lousy builds; it's enough to just not vote for them.

I don't necessarily agree with you Blondie-Wan, the issue we're discussing (and poking fun at!) is the fact that it's painfully obvious that most of these people do not meet the Project Guidelines And House Rules. One of the rules states You must be at least 13 to have an Lego Ideas account By the age of 13, a child almost always has developed the emotional maturity and intelligence to recognize the quality of their MOCs, and whether they'd stand a chance on Lego Ideas. Case in point, me. My first project was this project, the Classic Space Star Fighter:

1640077-o_194ihhab91vh4915nk1ph5cn97-full.png

I spent hours designing and redesigning this, because I was trying to make something that could get supporters and I wanted it to be as good as I could make it. The fact that most of these contributors contribute passively, voting on projects doesn't necessarily mean they're of use to the community. I'd say their time spent spamming out low effort projects in some minuscule chance of getting that sweet 1% profit would be better spent kicked from the site, as what I said earlier: it's painfully obvious most of these builders aren't old enough to be on Lego Ideas. But that Last Brick one, that was pretty decent. I just supported it, it'd make a neat little desk build.

Reading the couple pages of this thread I was surprised of people's opinions stating having crappy (in their views) stuff is bad for ideas.loego.com or the community. I think popularity is quite a fast and inquestionable filter, and even if it's obvious that viewers have to scroll through a zillion projects they're not interested in, the main purpose of the site: collecting ideas and prefiltering them by the community simply works.

I think even the worst presentations can mean some value to someone even if not to me in a particular case. I liked (and supported! ;) ) a few of the ones posted here.

I actually like most of the ideas in this thread. I appreciate lighthearted jabs just as much as the next guy (With the obvious exclusion of Blondie-Wan, who respectably doesn't seem to like lighthearted jabs), but I don't think these ideas deserve lighthearted jabs.

All of them have some merit, even if it's just a little kid (even if they're under the required 13 years of age) getting the guts, for what may be the first time, to post their cool idea.

I, for one, really like the Sharpie-Sphinx. It's goofy and fun, and more aesthetically intriguing than the real thing. Architecturally, it's not anywhere near as good as the real Sphinx, but it is interesting and fun and I want to see more simplified landmarks, honestly.

All of these have some value in them, of some kind. I especially like MutanerdA's stuff. (Find it here: https://ideas.lego.com/profile/MutanerdA/projects)

This one especially is very artistic and good, I would buy one:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/115863

I like them all so much, that I'm going to not make any smart remarks or lighthearted jabs. Art is art is art.

I don't necessarily agree with you Blondie-Wan, the issue we're discussing (and poking fun at!) is the fact that it's painfully obvious that most of these people do not meet the Project Guidelines And House Rules. One of the rules states You must be at least 13 to have an Lego Ideas account By the age of 13, a child almost always has developed the emotional maturity and intelligence to recognize the quality of their MOCs, and whether they'd stand a chance on Lego Ideas.

I'd say their time spent spamming out low effort projects in some minuscule chance of getting that sweet 1% profit would be better spent kicked from the site, as what I said earlier: it's painfully obvious most of these builders aren't old enough to be on Lego Ideas.

I don't know; I don't think it's so obvious at all. I actually do agree that if builds or accounts aren't compliant with the rules they should be let go, but as unskilled as some of these builds are, I don't think it's remotely out of the question that adults came up with them - any of them - much less people as young as thirteen. I also have no trouble believing there are some people on the site who aren't old enough according to the rules, but in most cases neither we nor TLG can know for sure who they are, and I unconditionally assure you there are adults out there whose skills at both building and writing aren't any better than those of the average eight- or nine-year-old. And with the rules allowing submissions from kids as young as thirteen, I don't think there is anything close to a case to be made for assuming any of the members with submissions in this thread are in violation of the age rules based purely on build quality. Every one of them could very easily be the work of a thirteen-year-old or older.

Now, if any of them should actually reveal themselves to be too young, that will be grounds for removal, but the builds alone don't come remotely close to proving that.

Maybe this thread should be renamed something like "Best of the most unlikely to be realized Ideas" to make the intention nicer.

I think this thread and participation is partially born out of the frustration that the Ideas website is completely overwhelmed with creations, all representing various levels of skills and potential to succeed. You can say it is up to us to filter out the best sets from the not-so-good, but it's feels futile because you might have to go through hundreds or even thousands of creations to find the sets that actually worthy of being made into a set. Add to that, the winning sets need rely popularity or luck in being featured to succeed, I'm sure there are plenty of great creations lots in the pool. The large number of troll creations don't help either, although they have a right to be there along with the well intention creations.

It definitely would be inappropriate to shame unskilled builders, but I think laughing at troll creations is probably the intention of the troll submissions. I agree it's better to err on the side of being kinder though.

Edited by Iria

we run the risk of alienating their creators, so that they cease participating in the whole LEGO Ideas enterprise at all - not just by no longer submitting projects, but also by no longer supporting other people's projects. If we humiliate less-skilled Ideas users into abandoning their efforts, we run the risk of diminishing the voter pool

Pff, first, with that logic, you can't critisize anything, because everyone who has done crap, has done -something- for the society.

Second, trust me that a project that gets 10.000 votes, didn't get them from the pool of Lego Ideas users. He got it mainly through social media, thus from 1-time users, who only registered to vote.

But you also don't need to castigate people for lousy builds; it's enough to just not vote for them.

Those projects are not just guilty of being crap, they're also guilty of crowding something we use.

Going to some kid's personal blog to mock his Lego creations, that would indeed make you a douche. But here we're talking about people who are at best mocking us, it's not like they don't deserve to be made fun of in return.

And hey, some managed to surf on their wave of fame, it doesn't really matter how it started. Who doesn't love him?

18dxkf08817gcjpg.jpg

The worst.. is the best at something. In fact I have more pity on the load of projects that are neither amazing nor bad. Those won't be remembered.

Edited by anothergol