anothergol

The best of the worst Lego Ideas

Um, there's an age restriction on Ideas right? Everything on the tumblr site looks like it was made by a 7-year-old with no computer skills and possibly a mental disorder. :wacko:

(Yes, even 75098.)

Edited by PicnicBasketSam

Um, there's an age restriction on Ideas right?

To think of it, the best proof that this is all made by adults, is that the descriptions are all proper english. And Lego probably proofreads all of it, since I've had an entry rejected because not every word in the title started with an uppercase. I think Lego really checks if it's adult-made from the description.

So.. can you imagine what does NOT pass?

A gem from the last batch:

2442114-o_1ahv00api1l5kgvp1ak85niqse7-full.png

"The only valid excuse why you wouldn't support this is, "You hate Yo Kai Watch". If that is your excuse I feel very bad."

Edited by anothergol

He means pre-existing licenses. IE Star Wars, LoTR, Marvel, DC, etc. I think TLG has said they won't make Ideas sets off of pre-existing licenses (Maybe? I don't follow Ideas too closely). They will, however, take out new licenses for Ideas sets (BTTF, Ghostbusters, Minecraft, etc.).

They've never said they flat-out won't do it. They have said that projects based on an existing license may face additional complications and are less likely to pass review than ones that aren't, but it's not flat-out impossible.

They have specifically cited the possibility/ likelihood that they may be already developing a set of their own when a project with the same subject matter enters review as one reason things may not pass, and we know things like this have happened with the Ghostbusters Headquarters, for example.

It's also quite possible the terms of some of their existing licenses preclude them from doing further sets based on Ideas projects (perhaps even if those licenses first began with Ideas projects). However, that possibility isn't necessarily the case for all their existing licenses; it may well be that, say, their Star Wars license won't let them do any sets based on Ideas projects, but their Marvel one will. Or vice versa. Or perhaps both will, while their DC one won't. Or vice versa. And so on. Every license agreement is different. The problem is that they can't say which (if any) of their existing licenses preclude them from doing sets based on Ideas projects, since license agreements are confidential, and even if they didn't directly say "we can't do Ideas sets based on X because our existing license prevents it", if they do accept projects based on existing license Y but not existing license X, it publicly suggests something about the difference between their licenses for X and Y.

They therefore accept projects based on all properties for which they have current, active licenses, and it's still entirely possible (if less likely) that projects based on such properties could in fact get through; it's simply up to us to discover which licenses might allow it (and unfortunately, we can never be absolutely sure about which ones won't). The only licensed properties they'll preemptively disallow are ones they flat-out won't do at all at the moment, because the construction toy rights are known to be already held by a competing toy company (like Star Trek currently is, and like Jurassic Park was for a while), or because they flat-out won't ever do it - perhaps because a competing toy company not merely has the rights, but owns it outright (such as My Little Pony), or perhaps it's just a poor brand fit for LEGO, like any given R-rated horror movie (Alien, for example).

The problem is that they can't say which (if any) of their existing licenses preclude them from

But what is it in a license that can't be re-negociated? How is it not easier to renegociate with contacts you already have & know, than with new people for a new license?

I don't understand why you think that a license is carved in stone.

I don't think Lego has ever stated that projects based on their existing licenses were forbidden, and they never forbid such entries. It more looks like people based that impression on the few rejected SW entries, that had other reasons to be rejected (like the piece count alone).

Now if *another toy company* owned an exclusive license, then yeah that would be a good reason.

I totally lost it with this one :head_back:

2440001-o_1ahqm550u17a38fq1n121ggqqsl8-full.jpg

I do have to say I found this one pretty funny. Yeah it's not going to get made.

Sometimes I do find the bad ones disappointing. Not because they are bad. Just that they got that many supporters. (Granted none of the ones listed above are doing that well.)

^ All of their school friends, plus the people who support every project hoping that they will get reciprocation that way

I sometimes wonder why people bother posting their really bad ideas.

But then I realize it is probably the same thing as shows like Big Brother, or "Anywhere" has Talent?

Some people are just desperate to get their name into the spotlight, even for the wrong reason.

I think TLG definitely need to put more restrictions on projects. Less is sometimes more.

I would start with.

1/ No Star Wars.

Because TLG designers are already making those sets.

2/ No Castles.

3/ No Sex, Booze, or Rock and Roll.

Because TLG just will not produce those kind of sets.

4/ No City buildings.

because TLG designers are already making those sets.

5/ No huge 3000+ part MOC's

because TLG just will not produce them.

Now I would not rule out large MOC's like Rivendell, because they are usually good to look at.

They can also be broken down into a series of Smaller sets which TLG could produce.

Unfortunately Rivendell would probably be blocked by rule 2. No Castles.

However TLG are also unlikely to produce a series of sets from one Ideas project

because it would fill too much of their production capacity for one year. So that rules out Themes.

6/ No Themes.

TLG simply can't produce extra Themes.

The exception to this has been Minecraft. But that is due to the success of the first small Ideas set and the willingness of Mojang to participate with TLG? It has also replaced the Castle Theme production capacity for the last year or two?

So what is left for the IDEAS projects.

Not a lot really.

The site stagnates and nothing new is produced........ or

we just get a few new Ideas each month.

We can really support them because they are good and TLG get them into production?

1/ No Star Wars.

No they're not.

They're making their version of SW stuff.

Besides, it's people who vote for SW stuff, so don't get mad at SW entries, users decided this.

I've had 4 entries so far. 3 weren't based on licenses: max 150 votes. 1 is SW: 1700 votes.

Whenever someone suggests a project well knowing that it's not gonna get votes (not because he thinks his project is crap, but because he's realistic), he'll be accused of "using Lego Ideas as a gallery". Whenever he suggests a project to get votes, he can only do that with licenses, only licenses will garantee that many people will be interested, and he will be blamed for that as well.

If your entry is NOT based on a license, and it IS voted, it means that your project was good enough (but there are hundreds of good projects), and that you got a lot of LUCK.

So whenever people get mad at good entries that weren't there to be voted.. it's pretty stupid, because no one adds an entry & really expects it to be voted. People add entries that they like, the rest is luck, and that's how it should work.

2/ No Castles.

Hum, no they're not (anymore).

As a matter of fact, Lego Ideas is our only chance to get castle stuff these days.

Because TLG just will not produce those kind of sets.

But that's already in the rules.

No rock&roll??

5/ No huge 3000+ part MOC's

because TLG just will not produce them.

& I'd like to know how those sets are annoying you, while they're 1 for 100 crap children-made entries.

6/ No Themes.

TLG simply can't produce extra Themes.

Hum.. Ghostbusters, and as you said, Minecraft.

The site stagnates and nothing new is produced........

hum, Lego has just released the maze set

Edited by anothergol

There has been a new batch of crap. I particularly like this telescope. The idea of wiring isn't even that bad in itself, though.

2447107-o_1ai6u6e9214dl9igo3s145gpj3e-full.jpeg

Shame on you for hating on this. This is clearly an important artistic expression. This man likely put in entire days to create this masterpiece, and his effort has clearly paid off with you noticing his project and sharing it. You're playing right into his hands.

This project will be at Ten Thousand in no time, quote me.

Quoted. SIgnaturized.

OMG. I thought the following was from the tumbler page, not actual Ideas page. Comedy gold. I should give Lego Ideas another chance to find such gems.

”I used to have a goldfish. His name was Fishy. In order to make room for four other fish, we had to flush him alive. I miss you Fishy, you will always swim into my heart.

Anyone have or used to have a fish? Or are you just interested in Aquatic life? Doesn’t matter, either way you will support.“

"The only valid excuse why you wouldn't support this is, "You hate Yo Kai Watch". If that is your excuse I feel very bad."

The only valid excuse I have to not support this project is how sloppy it is... Not to mention I have never ever heard of a 'Yo Kai Watch.'... How can I hate what I don't know of?

Edited by xboxtravis7992

There has been a new batch of crap. I particularly like this telescope. The idea of wiring isn't even that bad in itself, though.

Cool, a spiderweb.

Edited by CM4Sci

But what is it in a license that can't be re-negociated? How is it not easier to renegociate with contacts you already have & know, than with new people for a new license?

I don't understand why you think that a license is carved in stone.

I don't think Lego has ever stated that projects based on their existing licenses were forbidden, and they never forbid such entries. It more looks like people based that impression on the few rejected SW entries, that had other reasons to be rejected (like the piece count alone).

Now if *another toy company* owned an exclusive license, then yeah that would be a good reason.

I didn't say anything about renegotiation, and I don't think (and never said) that a license is carved in stone. I was responding to Junior Shark, who said he/she thought LEGO had said they wouldn't produce Ideas sets based on existing licenses, and I was specifically saying they hadn't said that. They have said such sets are less likely to be approved, but they've never said they're flat-out impossible, and that's what I was talking about.

I did note that there might be some licenses which precluded this, but that it was impossible to know for sure whether there were any, let alone how many or which ones. I've always emphatically argued against all those who say it's flat-out impossible to get any such set through and that they should therefore remove all such projects from Ideas. I do think it's at least possible, even if I don't think the chances are great - indeed, I specifically intend to submit some projects based on Star Wars and other extant licensed themes myself.

I actually like that quite a fair bit myself. I agree the execution is, ah, less than optimal (as does even the project creator, who acknowledges the shortcomings of the pictured model), but the concept - the idea - is actually quite decent, and the project model does at least work well enough to communicate the concept effectively. I am respectfully doubtful it will accrue many votes from the build, but I like the fundamental concept behind it; in fact I think the idea is clever enough to compensate for the clunkiness of the build, and I think I'm going to vote for it.

Um, there's an age restriction on Ideas right? Everything on the tumblr site looks like it was made by a 7-year-old with no computer skills and possibly a mental disorder. :wacko:

(Yes, even 75098.)

In fairness, it's entirely possible some Ideas users do in fact have mental disorders, and while it might affect the quality of their submissions, it would be unfair and an incredibly poor move on TLG's part to exclude them (and in fact, would probably be outright illegal in many or even all of the territories in which TLG operates).

What's 75098?

This thread is awesome! :roflmao::thumbup:

I'm quite alright with the big projects, because they are usually skillfully designed and not certainly not always unmarketable in concept, as an idea. But, this is one of my personal favorite exceptions: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/117087 "Star Wars Coral Base"

Found in the comments:

epicureanflame

– 3 months ago Flag commentLink to comment

This is truly an amazing build! How many pieces is it?

Just how amazing a set like that would be...*sighs in ecstasy*... Carrying it home from the local Lego store, building it in one go... Giving it a nice little place on you bedroom shelf... yeah, sweet! :purrr:

@Blondie-Wan: Assault on Hoth. :grin:

EDIT: Oh dear god... those Minecraft ones... :roflmao:

EDIT2: @Verunder: But LEGO doesn't make castles or City buildings. :hmpf_bad:

Edited by PicnicBasketSam

There should be an option to view the least supported projects on Ideas. They have a sort by most supported option but not the other way. :wink:

There should be an option to view the least supported projects on Ideas. They have a sort by most supported option but not the other way. :wink:

'Ending soon' is close enough to that, I guess.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/103750 "Taylor Swift Bad Blood"

Inspired by one of her music videos from a shot where really nothing seems to happen. Why, just... why?!

'Twas fairly funny scrolling through, I guess it lets everyone have a chance, I just wonder how long until something silly gets voted through to finals taking up a place

I just wonder how long until something silly gets voted through to finals taking up a place

What do you mean, "taking up a place"? There's no limit on the number of projects that can be in review at once.

Also, everything's silly to someone. There are people who don't like a bunch of the Ideas sets that have actually gotten released, but at the same time, each one of them has its fans.

Everyone has his or her own preferences, but honestly, I don't see what's exciting about this... at all: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/91495 2000+ supporters! :wacko:

-image-

"James's Web Telescope" :tongue:

Edited by Exetrius