Hi

After checking out the so called " cubistic ion cannon" in the new UCS Echo Base set I decided to give it a go and try to create a more worthy design.

Here is the result:

2435234-o_1ahh6d5lp1v6fin51vi1o2514o2c-full.png

What do you think? Is it any better? Let me know what you think.

Also, If you want to help raise attention to this please support the idea in lego.ideas: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/140111

CHEERS!

Thanks!

Looks awesome. I like how detailed it is and how it's built on a snowbank. My only criticism is that it's more egg shaped than spherical.

It looks waaaay better than the 75098 version. That being said, this model is not without its own faults. Most notably, your model has more of a football oval shape, when the on-screen version is a globe.

It looks waaaay better than the 75098 version. That being said, this model is not without its own faults. Most notably, your model has more of a football oval shape, when the on-screen version is a globe.

Indeed. But it can be improved in that point if building with real bricks. LDD crashes and strange bugs do not allow me to connect pieces that otherwise would fit together. It is hard to build digitally but due to lack of parts I had to do it this way. Using on or two plates you can widen the radius of the base circle and lowering the cockpit panel will give you a more rounded (semi spherical) shape.

Edited by Reekardoo

Yes, this looks fantastic and is not even comparable to the trash we got from the new Hoth Set! :thumbup:

It looks like it would make for a great display with the angled built around the hillside and due to the control center it even looks good from behind!

Would love to see it build with real bricks and maybe a bit adjusted in its shape.

Unfortunately this will never have a chance trough lego ideas. Not only is it Star Wars themed (and those just dont have a chance in general on Lego Ideas probably because of licensing or to secure a consistent "quality standard" for SW sets (which is mostly inferior to what people MOC). And it also collides with their newest set and they would never accept this failure of a hoth set by offering a part of it as a superior official build)

The more quality MOCs that are entered into the Lego ideas scheme, the more they might get the message that there is a market for more accurate models, and that fobbing us off with inferior UCS sets is less profitable than creating ones that that are movie accurate AND have some play functions.

I would buy this. The new Hoth set I wouldn't

Very nice. I like the concept of fixed structure (I don't see any sor of movement to 'aim' as a unexpandable feature). Though I wish that the suuroundings was done a bit more 'naturally', I don't like the sides and the exposed wedge. Of course it's mainly just the matter of adding some bulk of shote bricks (which everyone could do himself) but as a standalone set it could already have that inlcuded :)

The control room is also very nice, much better than having some kind of cockpit thing in the sphere :)

It looks awesome!

However I do not think it's fair to compare it with the TLG one, which is a play set one, it can move, while this one was made to be fixed and beautiful. Another category (and let's not even begin with UCS tag :)).

I think it IS fair to compare it to TLG one, they stuck the UCS tag on that box, and this is the kind of thing that tag demands of its products, not some half finished missle shooting mess.

This looks great and I have supported it on the ideas site, if only to raise TLG's awareness that there is demand. If we don't support the Star wars projects we like on there, then we lower TLG's awareness of the demand for such projects.

You did a great job on the cannon, and i would rather see this in the UCS Hoth set than what LEGO actually made. Nice use of the curved white window pieces. I haven't seen those before.

Great job on the moc. Do those windows come in white at the moment? I think the cannon could be a good stand alone set.