Hi Guys,

my name is Alex, and more information about me can be found in the "Hello...." forum.

As I use my Technic Sets mostly for display, I thought I'll pimp them a little by making a corresponding stickers.

I did several different ones as of now. It was just a quick experiment, to see if I can do it, and what it would look like.

I just attach the one for 8043 here.

post-159239-0-95856500-1462279788_thumb.jpg

Update: 2016-05-06: Here is what the decals look like now:

800x431.jpg

800x431.jpg

The others can be found in the bricksafe folder. http://bricksafe.com...or-technic-sets

Currently, the following are done:

• and a Template which uses a Lego Duplo car as an example.

Feel free to modify and create your own, please let me know which others you did.

What do you think?

- of the general idea?

- of the actual implementation? What about the feature list?

I had to lower resolution and quality of the plaque, but I have the original sized photoshop files still available, so I can still change stuff. Data was actually taken from the brickset database, so I hope it is correct.

Best regards,

Alex

PS: (I was unable to find an existing thread here, so if this is already covered, then please lock this and guide me.)

Edited by DoomedACE1980

Very nice, That is something that was missing from big Technic models!

Now only need to get a flagship.

These are very nice. Would be great for displaying official sets at the smaller public displays we have here locally.

Well, thank you both for your kind words! :blush:

Feel free to re-use them.

The Featurelist is just copied from the bs website, propably could be done with more love. If you need anything changed, just let me know - or do it yourself, the .psd files are online.

These are a great idea, they'd look good alongside my builds.

They look nice! I can't help to compare them with Star Wars UCS stickers, like http://i.imgur.com/PHM7HE5.jpg and notice some details that could improve yours:

• Technic logo on top, maybe not that big.
  • Color the model, maybe some shade between red and orange, taken from the PowerFunctions logo[1].

Coloring the model would allow to overlap white text (with black border) on it, no?

As for the list of features, are they based on the original boxes? That could be a nice touch :)

What I'd certainly change is how lowercase and uppercase are mixed, the one for 9398 looks odd to me, with features in all lower-case. Specially "2 l motors" (instead of "2 L motors") stuck out and caught my eye.

[1] http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/lego/images/3/3d/PowerFunctions_Logo.png/revision/latest?cb=20130915202307

Migev, I've tried adding the Technic Logo.

But not on top, the Logo is not that important....

Coloring the model; Not to sure about this - they will be placed next / in front of the model itself. I need to try this out.

The Features are taken from the description of brickset.com - from what I understand this is taken from Lego directly.

And yes, the Upper- Lowercase mix is crap - But I'm not too happy with the listings overall at the moment, I need to figure this out in the next days...

Anyhow, here is V2 of the 8043 plaque. What do you think?

(Image removed, due to size constraints)

BTW: I originally thought to print them on sticker paper, and put it on this lego plate:

https://alpha.brickl...lor=11#T=C&C=11

Any other ideas?

Edited by DoomedACE1980

I'd stick with the white on black. I don't think the colour adds anything at all.

These would be great for displays, as mentioned before. Thank you for sharing them.

ok, I think I'll call it a day for now.

I redid all 8 plaques, and created a Template file for further use. Can be found in the brick safe folder. Feel free!

Many thanks for all your contributions and opinions!

For creating the image of the model itself, here is what I did - I used Photoshop Express for this.

.) Get a high-res image of the model, one with a white background

.) Up the Contrast somewhat

.) Convert the image to a greyscale

.) Add an "glow outline" filter

.) finished - now copy this image into the template and resize as needed.

Best regards,

Alex

Looks nice. Black and white is easier to print on a laser printer. :wink:

V2 looks better :)

I'm no good at this, but was curious what would turn up if I give it a try...

26800126095_9ee6551268_b.jpg

Because I can't do graphic design, I just re-used the design from this one. I'm not convinced by the red color, maybe orange is better, maybe blue.

The point of coloring the model is that white text (w/ black border) can overlap with it without becoming unreadable.

I'm also tempted to make the model bigger, even if it doesn't fit into the label, e.g. leaving part of the crane arm out.

I think the red and orange are "angry". And the wire image of the Arocs looks like some blood vessel diagrams I had seen. I think a cool color like blue or green might be better.

I love this idea (even though my sets stay together for 1 week, tops)

Hi DoomedACE1980,

Welcome to the board (a bit late sorry).

Nice work on the plaques :thumbup:

Version 3.1 is ready and online.

I touched everything, but now it the design is finished.

I'll probably do more of them, but I won't change the design any more. Reworking all of them to have a homogeneous styling is too much work.

So, here is a quick rundown of the changes:

• Added cutting helper lines - makes it easier to cut at the right position, I still recommend a cutting knife though.
  • Changed the Headline to Italic, gave it a black outline
  • Moved the set number from the headline to a separate item on the bottem
  • the stripe is now solid white again
  • Got rid of the "features" headline - it was a bit redundant anyway
  • Changed the size of the font used in the feature list
  • Removed the weight from the dimensions, because there is no reliable information on this (I used the wrong data beforehand, the one from the whole set, incl Box and manual.)
  • Added the Designer
  • The bottom Block of information uses a smaller font size than the features-block

I also reworked all features, now I am quite happy with them.

Also, I added some more sets, currently the following are available:

• and a Template which uses a Lego Duplo car as an example.

Here is a preview:

post-159239-0-38431600-1462375014_thumb.jpg

As usual, the rest is in the bricksafe folder.

Edited by DoomedACE1980

I think the red and orange are "angry". And the wire image of the Arocs looks like some blood vessel diagrams I had seen. I think a cool color like blue or green might be better.

Yeah, I like red as a color in general, but I agree that it doesn't go well here. Blue or green are indeed best.

4 minutes ago, MattL600 said:

Very nice!

Hi. Please don't revive a year old topic to say it's nice. Only bump a topic when you have something useful to add. Thanks.

Just now, Jim said:

Hi. Please don't revive a year old topic to say it's nice. Only bump a topic when you have something useful to add. Thanks.

Oh sorry, didn't realise it was a year old.

Man, it feels like 42056 was only released during December... 

Just now, MattL600 said:

Oh sorry, didn't realise it was a year old.

Man, it feels like 42056 was only released during December... 

Cool, no problem.

Time flies :wink: 

@DoomedACE You might want to fix the spelling error: setnumber should be: set number (two words).

Also, if I'm going to be really picky, then I'd say if you do a list of specs, then I'd keep the same style for all titles. If you say "designer" or "set number" (which are both quantities as nouns), then I'd also go for "piece count", and "release date", not "pieces" (that's the unit, not the quantity) and "released" (that's a verb, not a noun).

Also, is Anders Gasendal the same person as Anders Gaasedal? If so, which of these two is his actual name?