snaillad

MOC: First class lounge - Terminal 1 - Idlebrick Airport

Hi everyone,

I am always looking to broaden my range of Architecture styles that I try my hand at, so this time its mid-century modern. This was a good way of incorporating some interior ideas I had without building a huge exterior building to house it. I've went with a understated colour palette, and simple but varied textures which are found in many a lobby of civic buildings built around this time. A few features such as the large simple wallclock, sloping windows and planters were all a common site in all the reference material I could find. The bar overhang(er) was a personal touch. It's another bar :grin: but this time within an Airport lounge. Anyway on with the pics, 5 in all;

26143957214_90e95d80d9_c.jpg

26724590376_f4a2ae1529_c.jpg

26724532766_f3905e65fd_c.jpg

26145849003_dd9a5ab145_c.jpg

26143720384_3061a8aa8e_c.jpg

You can view them on my flickr stream here if you prefer: https://www.flickr.c...s/52656812@N04/

Comments welcome!

Bon voyage!

This is great! It looks like it could be a promotional photo for Pan Am sometime in the early sixties. The minifigures are so animated! It gives the scene a lot of life.

Can you tell a little about the technique you used on the wall of slanted windows? How is it supported?

I love it! So many great features, but my personal favorite is the lady's wide-legged trousers ... Such a cool (& period-appropriate!) touch

Looks awesome, I agree on a mid-60's era coming out strongly. Especially in the minimalist clock!

One more note here, Is there significance in your minifig choice? Those two turbans look mightily gaudy in this crowd... ;-)

Top-notch, as usual, you really nailed the style with the typical shapes and colours of that time. Also the figs are great. Those trousers + that hairpiece ... My favourite bits are the clock and the bar, especially the SNOT-work underneath. Plus I like the fact that the bar stools were designed to fit the figs with their special proportions. All in all there's nothing not to love here! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Now you need to build a Super Constellation to get some background for your lobby. :wink:

O. Wow!

This is perfect to the last detail.

And I agree with ER0L that a (super) constellation would be the perfect background

This is great! It looks like it could be a promotional photo for Pan Am sometime in the early sixties. The minifigures are so animated! It gives the scene a lot of life.

Can you tell a little about the technique you used on the wall of slanted windows? How is it supported?

Thanks murphy_slaw!

The wall is not fixed in place but merely resting. The whole window section is built on its side, there is an extra brick layer where the window section joins with the 'sloped' wall. The sloped wall is made up on 1x2x3 slope bricks. The window section rests against the slope and the 'plate with rail' covers this transition and leaves no gaps. There is some raised tiles layed on the base to stop too much movement of the frame. I had thought of using some hinged plates integrated into the floor but it would of probably meant building the whole base on its side.

Cheers

I love it! So many great features, but my personal favorite is the lady's wide-legged trousers ... Such a cool (& period-appropriate!) touch

Thanks Kellelely

I spend more time faffing on with choosing figures than building sometimes! :laugh:

Looks awesome, I agree on a mid-60's era coming out strongly. Especially in the minimalist clock!

One more note here, Is there significance in your minifig choice? Those two turbans look mightily gaudy in this crowd... ;-)

Cheers iammac,

It was a pain to try and make something look simple with that clock! As for the figures, I thought the airport is an ideal place for a variety of people going about their travels. I had to stop myself putting in a geisha after seeing some great pics from 1960's Haneda airport in Tokyo, really mixed it up between the businessmen.

Great bar, seats and all the details! Great work!

Max

Thanks Max!

Top-notch, as usual, you really nailed the style with the typical shapes and colours of that time. Also the figs are great. Those trousers + that hairpiece ... My favourite bits are the clock and the bar, especially the SNOT-work underneath. Plus I like the fact that the bar stools were designed to fit the figs with their special proportions. All in all there's nothing not to love here! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Now you need to build a Super Constellation to get some background for your lobby. :wink:

Thank you ER0L

I've made so many bars but usually the have been housed within modular buildings so I've always been restricted, it was great to be able to make the counter the focus of the scene. I did contemplate using some forced perspective to make a interesting background through the windows but might save that for a future build! Great shout though with the constellation!

O. Wow!

This is perfect to the last detail.

And I agree with ER0L that a (super) constellation would be the perfect background

Thanks Man with a hat!

Really nice. Love the idea with slopes for making the dress look as if the woman is moving.

Superb work as usual Snaillad. I don't know how you can be so consistently brilliant.

As much as nostalgia for days past is something of a misnomer, this really does recall the heyday of an industry that is in no way shape or form even a shadow of its former self. Beautiful MOC.

Really nice. Love the idea with slopes for making the dress look as if the woman is moving.

Superb work as usual Snaillad. I don't know how you can be so consistently brilliant.

Great work. I agree on the minifigures, not easy to get them right to a time period, and super well done.

Fantastic, really cool and aesthetic - well designed!

Wonderful build, as usual :classic:

There are so many great details that bring this build to life. I especially like the clock, the bar and the white chairs.

Greyt work, as usual with what you're doing :)

My favorite part is the bar counter and the various snot stuff.

Epic work!

The hostess are beautiful! :wub:

Thanks guys for such kind comments!

Fantastic work! Please create an entire airport in your unique style :wink:

Cheers Brick-Surfer. Sadly not enough room to make a whole airport but maybe some smaller sections in the future!

As much as nostalgia for days past is something of a misnomer, this really does recall the heyday of an industry that is in no way shape or form even a shadow of its former self. Beautiful MOC.

Thanks razmaspazLEGO2, of all the source material I could find it shows airline travel as an exciting place to be, would have been a great to feeling to have experienced it at that time!

Another great build, Andrew. Lots of great details, from the positioning of the figures to the textures on the bar and far wall. Good to see this featured on The Brothers Brick, too.

Really love how you usually mix my two favourite passions - Travel and Lego - More please!

Another great build, Andrew. Lots of great details, from the positioning of the figures to the textures on the bar and far wall. Good to see this featured on The Brothers Brick, too.

Really love how you usually mix my two favourite passions - Travel and Lego - More please!

Thanks lifeinplastic! There will definitely be more travel based buildings in the future!

Tremendous creation, so well composed :wub: The tilted wall, seating, garden area with neat railing, and bar itself are all top-notch :thumbup:

Congrats on The Brothers Brick blogging :classic:

Wonderful build, snailad! :wub: The tilted wall is executed flawlessly, and the various plants are excellent as well :thumbup:

The counter, chairs, and clock are all great too :classic:

On looking at the first picture, no doubt about who created this.

Looks terrific.

Sort of reminds me of the Bubbles & seafood wine bar at Schiphol airport, in Amsterdam. But then a some decades ago.

From the pictures, it seems there are a few "illegal builds" there, but the creation is absolutely smashing.

The design of the bar, and the ladies walking about in dresses are inspiring.

Keep clicking those bricks together!