Good day !

I was suggested to start a WIP topic for this project, and I decided to make it.Also I think this will help me obtain a better result at the end.

As you can read from the name of this topic it will be a supercar.

The objectives for this one are:

• Kingpin inclination
  • Caster angle(positive of course, maybe even adjustable )
  • 68'8 x 36 ZR wheels
  • All-wheel drive with "semi-automatic"? gearbox and brake(on the central shaft not the wheels)
  • 2x RC buggy motors
  • Sbrick
  • Rear and front lights(rear ones turn on when braking)
  • Engine mounted on rear
  • White exterior
  • Blue interior
  • GTA inspired look
  • Optional NOS
  • Free instructions
  • No 3d party add-ons except for the Sbrick

I'm going to start with front suspension.

Current progress:

800x417.jpg

LDD

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

It is incredible how instantly one can have an idea - I was reading Twokinds when came up with this

Outdated version:

Applied kingpin inclination and redesigned the structure, still not happy with the result, I think the entire project (the car itself) will take around 1-1'5 years to complete :wacko:

And only after this I will make the Skyline

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Currently need to buy:

1. Sbrick BuWizz
  2. 1x buggy motor(Already have one)
  3. 1x set of PF lights
  4. Servo motor
  5. A LOT of panels, random pieces ,blue pieces for seats,CV joints...

Edited by LXF

How does the front suspension work now? Does it turn normally? It seems to me, that pivot point should be between two towball joint for correct kingpin inclination.

From your last posts in the axle collection thread, I understood that you're not too happy with the front suspension right now and that you're affraid that this will be a 1.5 year project. I hope you will overcome this phase and I 'm looking forward to seeing your next steps in this project.

With the combination of AWD, caster angle and kingpin inclination, you're setting the bar quite high. You don't have to incorporate kingpin inclination, just because I said caster angle and FWD make more sense when combined with kingpin inclination (in reply to your earlier post on the axle collection thread). Incorporating kingpin inclination menans that you can not use the standard LEGO wheel hubs and that's a decision with quite some consequences. My intention was (and is) only to provide you with some information that can serve as a source of inspiration. In the end you have to decide for yourself what you think is important and what not.

Anyway, I will be following this thread and I'm very curious what the end result will be. Here are just a few more things that could be helpful (again, only meant as a source of inspiration, you (EDIT:) don't have to do something with it):

- Nathanael Kuipers' Predator has kingpin inclination, caster angle and Ackermann steering but no front wheel drive.

-

are very suitable for buidling your own hubs around (these have also been used in z3_2drive's recent RC Quad-Motor Rally Car Chassis).

Good luck!

Edited by Didumos69

@Limga Suspension was too soft, the steering was bad

@Didumos69 Currently reworking it completely. Again. :classic:

Objectives update:

*Free instructions

*No 3d party add-ons except for the Sbrick

Status update:

*Dissasembled front.

*Got an idea for wheel covers

640x277.jpg

*Not sure whether to have a simple 2-speed gearbox or complicate it and add after the main gearbox something like Sariel's automatic gearbox(It doesn't works for me)

Edited by LXF

Wohoo!!!

Succeeded on front.Phew,it was a long time until I was happy for something I made.

And it is stiff enough I think.

All photos are here: BRICKSAFE

Here the pics:

( please wait 10 minutes)

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

It is incredible how strangely one can have an idea - I was reading Twokinds when came up with this

Edited by LXF

I see you redid the casing, moved the U-joint further into the hub and replaced the axle with a 5.5L axle with end-stop. All good things, however, your design is still suffering from two issues:

- With the shock absorber attached to it, the lower wishbone is likely to pull the lower pin with ball out of the wheel hub.

- The 3L pin with center pin hole holding the axle (black) will rotate out of its intended position under the weight of the car.

I did one more attempt to come up with an alternative hub that better suits your design (I find great pleasure in designing wheel hubs :classic: ). The lower ball cannot fall out of the hub and the 3L axle-pin connector holding the axle is firmly integrated into the hub. For the rest the geometry is the same as yours, so it should fit. I also used a 4L axle with end-stop at the bottom of the hub, so the part holding the pivot ball does not slide off the axle.

Using the steering arm in vertical position is not something new. I know there are more, but here is one example that also uses this idea: [WIP] RWD sedan.

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

LXF-file here.

Edited by Didumos69

Thanks Didumos69 for mentioning my topic. I really recommend that solution. I placed two shock absorbers on the lower wishbone and it doesn't disconnect from the hub.

Good luck with the building LXF! Keep us updated!

The universal joint needs to move closer into the hub. Preferably by a whole stud. Get at least rid of that half bush there.

Edited by nicjasno

The universal joint needs to move closer into the hub. Preferably by a whole stud. Get at least rid of that half bush there.

I think he already removed the half bush. The images with the half bush (green hubs) are old. The ones with orange hubs are new.

Looks great. The rims idea is clever!

Thanks!

I see you redid the casing, moved the U-joint further into the hub and replaced the axle with a 5.5L axle with end-stop. All good things, however, your design is still suffering from two issues:

- With the shock absorber attached to it, the lower wishbone is likely to pull the lower pin with ball out of the wheel hub.

- The 3L pin with center pin hole holding the axle (black) will rotate out of its intended position under the weight of the car.

I did one more attempt to come up with an alternative hub that better suits your design (I find great pleasure in designing wheel hubs :classic: ). The lower ball cannot fall out of the hub and the 3L axle-pin connector holding the axle is firmly integrated into the hub. For the rest the geometry is the same as yours, so it should fit. I also used a 4L axle with end-stop at the bottom of the hub, so the part holding the pivot ball does not slide off the axle.

Using the steering arm in vertical position is not something new. I know there are more, but here is one example that also uses this idea: [WIP] RWD sedan.

*snip*

Currently nothing is popping out ,and I compressed complete the suspension for a long time to prove that.There isn't enough room to let 87082 to move significantly if you have the wheels on.Thanks for that interesting idea for steering ,I may use it if will somehow come up with another small steering arm.I don't want to be rude in any of the ways, my problem is that I don't know to express myself correctly in any of the languages I know, even in RL.

Thanks Didumos69 for mentioning my topic. I really recommend that solution. I placed two shock absorbers on the lower wishbone and it doesn't disconnect from the hub.

Good luck with the building LXF! Keep us updated!

I surely will update it soon (figuring out the position of motors and the length of the model.)

I hope you mean the outdated version because I can't move it more.Orange version is the latest one.

As in general this week has many exams and I must finish three works to finish for high-school :wacko: so there won't be a lot of progress this time ,but I hope to atleast make a v1 rear and detemine the optimal space to fit every feature I want.

About GTA inspiration, expect something like "Zentorno"

zentorno.jpgImage from web

I don't play the game but I have seen some youtube vids.

I do play the game, it is based off the Lamborghini Veneno and the Sesto Elemento (though it looks more like the Sesto Elemento) Both really good looking cars in my opinion!

Sesto Elemento:

*snip*

Thanks for useful information ,didn't knew that!

The thing I really like is that rear "grille" ,but I think that will be the only common element between Pentax and Zentorno / Sesto Elemento

Edited by LXF

I'm anxious to see the final car! If you want to make this car more realistic, I would not use springs that are both on the side of the suspension arms and on the top, pick one or the other.

Nice wheel covers, Jurgen Krooshoop used the same idea in his Koenigsegg CCX, pictured here on the front of Sariel's book:

gwnagcdjpskqs2akl0hg.png

I'm anxious to see the final car! If you want to make this car more realistic, I would not use springs that are both on the side of the suspension arms and on the top, pick one or the other.

Thanks for the advice , but I'm not trying to make it completely realistic,I want the LBG shocks to make the suspension stiffer,and it works.

:thumbup:

The same^

Nice wheel covers, Jurgen Krooshoop used the same idea in his Koenigsegg CCX, pictured here on the front of Sariel's book:

*snip*

That is why they looked familiar to me :look: Thanks for pointing it out!

I think it is a shame that I don't own any of wonderful Sariel's books :(

General progress:

Currently designing easy to shift,small, sturdy and reliable gearbox,2 or 3 speeds.(Thinking about a linear one althougth don't know how it will behave with 2 buggy motors

Objectives update:

-Orange accents on the bodywork

Thanks to everybody who is helping and/or following this build!

Edited by LXF

Time to "update"

First fail at gearbox :sweet:

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

The only thing I'm keeping of all that at the moment is the brake .

The space between the wheels will be 25 studs ( something like 33 studs from the center of each wheel)

The connection between the gearbox and the front was only to see where it would be positioned

I hope to make some progress on LDD file and the real build!

I know i just wanted to put a heads up. Für me it is a little bit harder. I don't know which studded parts i have(all old parts in a box in the basement and not sorted). So I always have to convert Sariels examples to studless.

If you have Sariel's book there's a couple really compact gearboxes in it! :)

Please bear in mind most of these gearboxes are studfull.

They are. But you can connect them to studless technic.

I know i just wanted to put a heads up. Für me it is a little bit harder. I don't know which studded parts i have(all old parts in a box in the basement and not sorted). So I always have to convert Sariels examples to studless.

I just checked. The 4 speed gearbox (found on page 277) has a studded top, but the rest is studless.

I kinda "had" that book, it was a black&white pdf.The only problem I have choosing a gearbox is that I have zero experience in bulding on such scale and I have no idea about motorization of one.

Thanks for advice !

Today gonna make some progress, still need to analyze some steering solutions used in MOCs (front axle -> steering wheel)

For the wheel covers you could also use this:

17223578530_911d821af6.jpg

Link to larger image.

It's a perfect fit but you may need the new rims versions with six holes. It's also sturdier dan it looks on this picture.

For the wheel covers you could also use this:

*snip*

Link to larger image.

It's a perfect fit but you may need the new rims versions with six holes. It's also sturdier dan it looks on this picture.

Wow, those look really cool! *oh2*

Now need 4 rims and 24 bionicle tooth pieces to have two interchangeable versions.

Thanks!

Finished the LDD for front axle

Edited by LXF

Sorry for double post, but made a quick rear axle and a support frame for them to see how big it will be.This scale is completely new for me, just looks huge compared to all my previous MOCs.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

I'm posting photos earlier on Instagram

Some regress on it to perfect the front :sweet:

Already built IRL , works a lot better than previous version.

I manage to center the drive shaft.

To your discussion , the V2 using Didumos69 wheelhubs:

LDD

800x417.jpg

For some reason the wishbones are angled up in LDD , IRL they are perfectly straight

Gearbox idea dropped off, don't really find it necessary with (hopefully ) BuWizz speed control system. Centering myself on an efficient way to deliver power and creating a rear axle.

Edited by LXF

Sorry for double post , but I have some important updates -> Front axle V2.1

Apparently there was some gear skipping in the V2.0 , now it is fixed and I also added a steering wheel output.

LDD

640x334.jpg

640x334.jpg