Bob De Quatre

[CONTEST] An a-Maze-ing contest!

I'm not really sure what your idea is. I'm guessing you're talking about the Category B, the tilt system ?

I mean as can it function as a gbc module. With an input and output mechanism to move balls to the next module.

I mean as can it function as a gbc module. With an input and output mechanism to move balls to the next module.

As long as the tilt system is operated manually and is still usable with the games board, you can build it as a gbc module.

Do custom decals or decals that exist but not on that specific coloration of the part count as "buildable with real bricks"? I'm using a minifigure head in my (digital) build and I'm wondering whether I'm allowed to decorate it.

Do custom decals or decals that exist but not on that specific coloration of the part count as "buildable with real bricks"? I'm using a minifigure head in my (digital) build and I'm wondering whether I'm allowed to decorate it.

Official and custom stickers are allowed, but not recolor of printed parts.

An amazing contest indeed! I already have some ideas and was kind of hoping a contest like this would happen. I look forward to seeing what everyone else comes up with!

Cat. A question: x45 Sports Soccer Ball Plain is the official part used for the "ball" part of #21305 Maze. Unfortunately, it only exists in orange. However, the all-but-identical part 54821 Bionicle Zamor Sphere exists in a plethora of colors.

Could people depicting game-board set-ups choose to use Zamor Spheres instead of x45s, if it suited their models? It's about the same thing as using a 4085 Plate, Modified 1 x 1 with Clip Vertical - Type 2 (thin U clip) instead of a 4085c Plate, Modified 1 x 1 with Clip Vertical - Type 3 (thick U clip).

Actually, the Zamor spheres are slightly larger than the soccer ball making them too large to fit into the 2-stud wide corridors of the maze, so if you're going to use them, you need to accommodate the extra space in your maze. Also, Zamors don't roll as well as soccer balls due to a divot on one side.

Actually, the Zamor spheres are slightly larger than the soccer ball making them too large to fit into the 2-stud wide corridors of the maze, so if you're going to use them, you need to accommodate the extra space in your maze. Also, Zamors don't roll as well as soccer balls due to a divot on one side.

Thanks for the info Oky, I thought that Zamor balls were 2 studs large... So I guess it's best to avoid them.

Also, here's a link to LegoPegasister2015's LXF file of the official Maze set for anyone who wants to use it as a template for their digital entry. Perhaps you could add it to the first post, Bob?

Thanks for the info Oky, I thought that Zamor balls were 2 studs large... So I guess it's best to avoid them.

Thanks for the info!

At the same time, rats. I happen to have exactly one Zamor sphere in my collection, but zero of the sports balls. :hmpf_bad: I have some other small plastic balls, I guess I'll test my design with those, but not include them in the official entry.

do we need to own the set to compete? or can we just reserch the dimensions?

The dimensions have already been handily given out on the previous page.

Isn't it a little too soon for such a contest? I'm not sure that everyone got his hands on the maze set yet (well I haven't yet).

This said, since I don't like the colors of the official set, this contest might (well, already did) end up with versions that I'd rather build.

do we need to own the set to compete? or can we just reserch the dimensions?

You don't have to own the set. You can take a look at the instructions that are available on Lego website, and/or download the LDD file that is linked in the rules on first page.

Isn't it a little too soon for such a contest? I'm not sure that everyone got his hands on the maze set yet (well I haven't yet).

This said, since I don't like the colors of the official set, this contest might (well, already did) end up with versions that I'd rather build.

I don't think it's too soon. In fact, I think it's too late, since we had great game boards posted before! No need to have the original set. I don't have it but still could build something :wink:

Some news about the contest. First, I've added a whole week to the deadline, which is now June 5th. And just a small detail... the prizes are announced :wink:

For category A, just make the theme for the board right? and for category A, if i make the disney princess theme should i make all the princess theme (Snow white, cinderella, rapunzel, etc.) or just one of the princess for theme of the board? (This is example, I don't make the princess theme!)

You can do the game board as you like. If you want to include all the princess, do it. And if you want a cinderella themed board that's ok too.

Can we make a CAT A and CAT B moc that works together and include it as an entry in both categories. The Top being judged in one category and the bottom being judged in the other category?

For those who own it, anyone knows what kind of slopes the ball will/won't take?

In other words, is it even possible to have 2 or 3 bricks-tall stairs? And does the weight matters much - would too much weight on one side make the plate tilt by itself?

Also, has anyone tried rails? I'm wondering if the ball can pass over the clips (and which type of clip, and can it pass over 2 clips at the same position or maybe just one at a time)

Rail.jpg

I have no doubt that a glass marble would, but Lego's light balls would probably need a lot of speed to pass over, no?

Edited by anothergol

Can we make a CAT A and CAT B moc that works together and include it as an entry in both categories. The Top being judged in one category and the bottom being judged in the other category?

No, your Cat A and Cat B entries must be separate. But you can include a picture of both entries assembled in both topics.