Lord-Vorahk

Is a Star Wars CMF line viable?

I've taken to displaying some of my Star Wars minifigs with bases from the Collectible MInifigure line, particularly Darth Vader, ROTS Obi-Wan, Commander Neyo, and the Imperial Shock Trooper, and it got me wondering if it would be possible for Lego to produce an official CMF line for the franchise.

We've got one licensed CMF line on shelves already, with a second apparently on the way, and TLG can clearly produce Star Wars figures, on account of the battle figures line. SO why not a Star Wars one?

First off, there would obviously be a bit of a conflict of interest: TLG aren't going to want to put in minifigs that are similar to those in sets that are still on shelves. After all, plenty of people buy a set for the figs over the build, especially if the build is of a ship they've already got (I'm not about to buy another A-Wing unless it comes with figures I want, because I already have the most recent one).

However, there are plenty of characters that don't appear in sets, often because their scenes in a movie would be rather unpopular due to a lack of action: The Senate scenes in TPM are a good example: Chancellor Valorum, TPM-era Palpatine, and a variant of Queen Amidala aren't going to get a set because the Senate scenes are fairly boring, but it would be nice to have those characters. A more recent example would be the final scene of TFA: Rey's variant costume and Very Lonely Luke don't have figures, and aren't likely to get them until Episode VIII's first wave, and the latter is a pretty glaring omission (Why we couldn't have Luke instead of a slightly different Stormtrooper for May 4th is a rather good question).

They could also be used to supplement existing sets: The discussions over the most recent UCS set, Assault on Hoth, have often focused on a lack of Bacta Tank Luke, Hoth Leia, blue coat!Han, a medical droid, more Snowtroopers, and, most interestingly to me, a Chewbacca with snow dotted onto him. Well, how about having those figures available separately. Darth Vader would be a no-go because 75093 is still on shelves, and perhaps "Luke, mostly naked and comatose" would be a hard sell, but the others could definitely be done

Then there's characters or variants of said characters that just aren't going to get a release in sets, who would fit right in. ROTS Padme's not going to be in a set because her most action-y scene is the one where Anakin strangles her. Mas Amedda, Shmi Skywalker, most members of the Separatist Council, most members of the Jedi Council, Lama Su and Taun We, etc. Being a fan of Clones, I'd quite like to see ARC Trooper Fives, Gregor in his COmmando armour, Phase II Cody, and even just another shot at a standard white Phase II trooper, but obviously I imagine a few people are pretty sick of Clone Troopers. Going for the ever-more tempting OT angle, Captain Antilles, Aunt Beru, Wuher, Biggs, Long Snoot, Admiral Piett, Nein Numb, Crix Madine, Mon Mothma (Though we might get her in Rogue One sets), Jan Dodonna, General Rieekan, etcetera.

Then there are the characters that we have, but don't have in certain variants, like Palpatine in his full red robes, Leia in her Cloud City and Boussh designs, as well as her outfit from the end of TFA, Luke in his trooper disguise, his training gear, his Bespin fatigues, and with his tunic open from the end of RoTJ, Han in his trooper disguise, a new Old Ben Kenobi, "Mustafar Obi-Wan", with burn marks on his clothing and a second Lightsaber hilt, Cloud City Lando, General Lando, etcetera once again.

So, what do you think? Would you like the idea, and if so, what characters would you like to see?

A Star Wars CMF series would be awesome (And a lot of fans hoping for it), but I doubt that it'll happening in the near future because of copyright and licensing issues.

We do have Leia as Boussh.

I had a feeling that we might, but the set isn't on shelves now, so I'll count it still.

A Star Wars CMF series would be awesome (And a lot of fans hoping for it), but I doubt that it'll happening in the near future because of copyright and licensing issues.

This.

I worry about a Star Wars CMF line being viable because a number of the pieces may not or cannot be useable elsewhere. At least with the current main CMF line, Lego can offset R&D costs by using the pieces across their other lines. With some IPs, certain pieces are only exclusive to those IPs.

I worry about a Star Wars CMF line being viable because a number of the pieces may not or cannot be useable elsewhere. At least with the current main CMF line, Lego can offset R&D costs by using the pieces across their other lines. With some IPs, certain pieces are only exclusive to those IPs.

I never even considered this, but that's a very valid point

Well, are there that many unusable pieces? I mean that majority of figures would only need new prints, right? I'm sure they could afford one or two new molds a wave.

I had a feeling that we might, but the set isn't on shelves now, so I'll count it still.

There are still better options to choose from. If there ever was a CMF series I think its better to see all new variants of the main characters over repeats that have been available in previous sets.

In Leia's case the only on-screen costumes that haven't been made yet are Rebels, Bespin Escape and D'Qar. I think one of those would work a lot better. Another alternative would be her costume from the 1977 Star Wars poster which is different enough from the Classic and Ceremony ones in ANH to warrant a special release. But there's really no reason to revisit her previous minifigures in a CMF line when that can be done by revisiting the sets they originally came in.

I mean that majority of figures would only need new prints, right?

And this is why a Star Wars CMF series would be a waste

Edited by Robert8

Honestly want it just for Ahch-To Rey and Luke, but also because it would make army building a lot easier. They did a lot of new molds for the Disney line so I don't see that being an issue, I'd love to see more of the random background aliens like Nien Nunb whose parts could be used for other random builder created characters of the same race as well as droids. Plus, I don't see licensing issues if lego is currently producing disney cmf and star wars/lucas films is also owned by disney and runs their marketing under disney.

Honestly want it just for Ahch-To Rey and Luke, but also because it would make army building a lot easier. They did a lot of new molds for the Disney line so I don't see that being an issue, I'd love to see more of the random background aliens like Nien Nunb whose parts could be used for other random builder created characters of the same race as well as droids. Plus, I don't see licensing issues if lego is currently producing disney cmf and star wars/lucas films is also owned by disney and runs their marketing under disney.

The licensing issue has little to do with Disney, but the main licensing issue is with Hasbro.

I think you need to consider this from a broader perspective than that of a hard core fan. A SW CMF line would need to appeal to a broader market so it would have to have the iconic characters in it, not just relatively obscure ones or costume variations. That probably rules it out for a start since it would undercut TLGs sales of sets featuring those characters.

I think you need to consider this from a broader perspective than that of a hard core fan. A SW CMF line would need to appeal to a broader market so it would have to have the iconic characters in it, not just relatively obscure ones or costume variations. That probably rules it out for a start since it would undercut TLGs sales of sets featuring those characters.

But costume variations would help get around that. You'd still be including the iconic characters while ensuring they are different enough to not affect the sets they're included in. Here's a few examples of where they can go:

PT

Obi-Wan Kenobi - with printed brown cloak like the Ben Kenobi figure

Qui-Gon Jinn - same as above

Anakin Skywalker - same as above, TPM Padawan, AOTC Refugee Disguise

Padme - Theed Battle, (unripped) Geonosis, Mustafar or Queen Amidala's Senate Gown

Darth Sidious - pre-deformed classic outfit, Senate Duel or Declaration of the Empire

Palpatine - Senator, Black Chancellor Robes

Jar Jar Binks - Senator

C-3PO - TPM or AOTC mainly, but even ROTS could work

OT

Luke Skywalker - 1977 Star Wars poster, Medical Frigate

Princess Leia - 1977 Star Wars poster, Bespin Escape

Han Solo - Death Star/Gunner Station variation of the main costume

Darth Vader - Macquarie Concept Art

Boba Fett - ROTJ armour

Chewbacca - Hoth themed with patches of snow

Lando Calrissian - Smuggler costume

Obi-Wan, Anakin and Yoda as Force Ghosts

ST

Han Solo - Starkiller Base

Princess Leia - D'Qar

Poe Dameron - Flightsuit without the vest and equipment, Officer Uniform from the end of TFA

Future costumes that appear in Episodes 8 and 9

There would be a few exceptions to this. Some characters like Darth Maul, Kylo Ren and even Rey may have to be recycled from the sets, but for the most part they can definitely get away with new versions of the existing main characters. A few other things that can make a CMF line work is seperating the waves by theme (OT, PT, ST, Anthology and television) which would help add a greater variety to the minifigures as well as balancing each wave with say:

6 iconic characters

5 support characters

3 army builders

2 obscure characters/aliens

Ultimately the main hurdle would be getting past the licensing issues with Hasbro but I think a CMF line could definitely work.

As much as I'd love this, I just can't see it happening. They have so much Lego for Star Wars out, and it always focuses around the important and typically iconic/frontline stuff that they are already doing multiple variations of the characters anyway, which for me, I think is one of many factors as to why it wouldn't work *for TLG*. I just can't see it ever happening while they have the SW licence going as good for them as it is now.

The licensing issue has little to do with Disney, but the main licensing issue is with Hasbro.

I dunno, seeing the amount of Star Wars polybags we have gotten with one character, could it be that the rumored "Hasbro forbids Lego from releasing single figures because they are action figures" be a bit moot? We've also got a two waves of Star Wars Constraction figures that are even MORE SO action figures than a normal Minifigure. Heck I could even point out Lego's Constraction line is competing with Hasbro's Hero Mashers (Galidor 2.0 as it should be called...).

So if Lego can realese one off figures in polybags, surely they could release 18 blind packaged figures in polybags at once and call it a Collectible Series.

I would imagine a drop in sales of expensive sets with desirable minifigs. I can't see it happening. They would invariably canabilize sales from one of (if not) their most important and profitable IP.

Theres so many fascinating costumes and characters we have never gotten that could be fleshed out in at least one or two CMF lines. New molds could be used to supplement future sets and honestly SW sales wouldn't hurt at all since the line would probably be ridiculously popular. If the micro fighter line hasn't hurt main sales a series half the price would not. Besides this could be TLG's answer to Bricklink. I just dropped my $200 lego budget for most of the year on brick link to build my rebel and imperial armies. That's money Lego was not going to get on sets anyways that could have easily gone to them instead if they had a CMF.

Minifigures could include recent ones previously released that will never be in a set again. For instance the Naboo Guards. Or from series that Lego is never going to return to like the Clone Wars. Variants of previous figures such as Imperial Officers with different rank pips or various rebel officers. The May 4th figure is a prime example that Lego seems to not care about how small a background character.

The series could work if done right (I mean obviously that's true of anything :laugh: ) which would most likely be supplementing the sets.

Edited by Forresto

It's not happening because as long as people pay over £50 to get two rare figures it's not financially viable for LEGO to sell them for £2 a pop.

Edited by halfpenguinhalflego

It's not happening because as long as people pay over £50 to get two rare figures it's not financially viable for LEGO to sell them for £2 a pop.

Well sorta. Why not put special printing on the mini fig series not on the set. Put in a few common snow troopers/sand troopers/ storm troopers and odd alien characters. Then put in special ones that people will really want to go after. That will entice people to buy more to get the one they want so after it is all said and done, you spent 236 dollars to get the one you wanted. These should be put in small boxes instead of the packs so it is a blind pull

A gold vader or luke would also make people go bonkers to get their hands on more

And this is why a Star Wars CMF series would be a waste

Why?

I would imagine a drop in sales of expensive sets with desirable minifigs. I can't see it happening. They would invariably canabilize sales from one of (if not) their most important and profitable IP.

But the thing is, they would only (with one or two exceptions) need to release versions of figures that aren't/haven't been/probably never will be in sets. Even if they released a few regular characters, they could easily time releases so there are no sets with that figure out right now (i.e. are there any sets with an Ep. IV Luke right now?).

Edit: They could even do releases of original characters with yellow skin, like the Luke in that one book a couple years ago.

Edited by Kman860

A CMF figure is no more a waste then the exclusive polybags TLG does that only a tiny portion of the world's Lego fans can get. FO General, Stormtrooper sergeant, and the like. Star Wars is the undisputed ruler of having a plethora of background characters, ones that will absolutely never appear in a set.

Not only that but CMF givers the opportunity for figures we already have with more printing such as stormtroopers with arm and hip printing. This line can also be used for R&D for future sets that they don't know if they want to commit to Remember the lousy stormtroopers from the endor battle pack? Or how the sand troopers from the same here have leg printing that don't match modern stormtroopers? This series could potentially avert such issues improving figures for sets.

Remember the lousy stormtroopers from the endor battle pack?

What? Those are perfectly fine Stormtroopers!

They could make a SW CMF line and it would probably be awesome. Don't think they ever will though.

I think it's viable as long as they put in figures that either wouldn't ever see a set, might see a set once in five or ten years, or only arrive in super expensive sets. Remember, not everyone can afford a Star Destroyer or Death Star set and Lego doesn't make any extra money from Bricklink sales of the individual figures. So they could eke out a little more cash from a CMF line. They'd also be more likely to get money from the larger Star Wars fan base and collectors who may not want or have room for full sets.

So, let's put together some wishlists!

Ep.I

Queen Amidala - Couruscant

Naboo Guard variation

R2-C4 (Yellow, Hangar scene)

Naboo pilot

Nemoidian Bridge Officer

Senator Palpatine

Chancellor Valorum

New Gungan print

Boss Nass

Ep.II

Clone trooper - Red fatigues

Clone trooper trainee - blue fatigues

"Old Watto" print

New Geonosian print

Dexter - unless we get a Dex's Diner set

One of the Jedi Council members

Taun We

Lama Su

Ep.III

Tion Medon

Grey - trimmed Couruscant clone trooper

Camoflauged Super Battle Droid & Battle Droid (together, I don't think they're enough packaged individually)

New Wookie print

Jedi Youngling

Ep.IV

Updated Grand Moff Tarkin

General Tagge

Admiral Motti

Any Rebel pilot we don't have yet

R3-M3

R5-K6

Rebel Honor Guard

Ep.V

Major Toryn Farr

Major Delrin

Medical Frigate Leia

R3-Y2

Cloud Car Pilot

Updated Lobot

Ep.VI

New Ewok print

New Y-wing pilot (with Ep.VI helmet)

New A-wing pilot print

Imperial Advisor

New Mon Calamari print

Nien Numb with new headpiece

I would absolutely love a Star Wars CMF series - would definitely give a way for Lego to release non-CW versions of clones and Jedi. Unfortunately, as others have said, I can't really see it happening. Occasional polybags are different as they aren't sold.