Hi All,

I would like to present my latest experiment, an extreme off-roader mini Samurai - yes, another one :classic: .

The goal of this project was to see, what is the tiniest chassis I can build, with suspension, steering, and 4x4 drivetrain.

I succeed to shrink down to 10 studs width, and for that I built the chassis and the body. The position of the IR receiver might be "illegal", I couldn't place it in LDD, but in reality it works without any problem.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Well, the result is quite fine, but the front axle is not stable enough, too much slack left in it, and the gears can slip under hevier load. I tried to reinforce with rubber band, which brought some improvement, but not as much, as I was hoped for. Maybe one day I will build a completely new one, although as it is, pulling a 42043 is no problem for this tiny monster. :devil::grin:

The rest of it pretty stable, so all in all I am happy with it.

Features:

• 1 XL motor,
  • 1 Servo motor,
  • MiniZip cable,
  • 9V battery,
  • weighs round 460 gramms.

HERE You can download the LXF file.

800x451.jpg

800x451.jpg

800x451.jpg

I hope You enjoy!

Edited by agrof

Great to see that it has an XL and not some smaller motor typically seen in small builds like this. I personally have no issue with the battery or IR placement. Good little experiment!

Haha I was cheering for this little guy throughout the whole video. "You can do it!" very good performance.

Impressive performance for such a small scale. It does look like it suffers from torque twist though.

Wow, this is very impressive! 4x4 and suspension in a 10 wide build? Amazing. I still haven't worked out how you did the steering (I can't access the file). Great Job :thumbup:

Great "tricycle" :grin: ! Quite impressive build keeping in mind you have crammed so much in such small model.

Great MOC!

It is incredible how you fit an XL-motor in that tiny beast!

Thank You all! :classic:

Wow, this is very impressive! 4x4 and suspension in a 10 wide build? Amazing. I still haven't worked out how you did the steering (I can't access the file). Great Job :thumbup:

The servo is directly mounted on the front axle, and directly driven. I had to add some stabilization for the steering rack, without it the gear easily could spring, given the slack of the construction.

It still can happen, but not at an annoying level.

Redesigned with new color scheme, removed the mudguards for a solution using only common pieces, added lights up top, and gave it Power Puller wheels: https://drive.google...bW45Vl9TYkhVQkU

That was a fast rework, wow! :thumbup: Althugh it will not work fine. :classic: The servo must be separated from the bodywork. As mentioned above, it is directly mounted to the axle, for this suspension setup needs space to move. Also the big wheels will come loose much easier, I think with different axles it could be a nice monster truck, so the redesign direction is good.

Thank You all! :classic:

The servo is directly mounted on the front axle, and directly driven. I had to add some stabilization for the steering rack, without it the gear easily could spring, given the slack of the construction.

It still can happen, but not at an annoying level.

That was a fast rework, wow! :thumbup: Althugh it will not work fine. :classic: The servo must be separated from the bodywork. As mentioned above, it is directly mounted to the axle, for this suspension setup needs space to move. Also the big wheels will come loose much easier, I think with different axles it could be a nice monster truck, so the redesign direction is good.

Ah how did I miss that about servo :blush:

I might give this a second thought, it deserves the attention. With such a short wheelbase and massive wheels, the entry and exit angles are nearly 90 degrees, making this perfect for descending/ascending hills (assuming it doesn't flip over).

EDIT: I reworked the color scheme a bit, redid the body connected to the servo, added some more lights, and changed the back bar: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7ClftNJdh9_bW45Vl9TYkhVQkU

Edited by TheLegoExpert

Awesome suspension setup! One suggestion though. I belive you dont need such high gearing for the drive and you can easily repalce at least a pair of 12:20 gears with 16:16.

I think you made one of the smallest drive axle, at least AFAIK.

Oh one more suggestion, this part might be helpfull in the axles for future buids:

48496.jpg

Really lovely tiny well performing build you have come up with! Very well done...

It tend to lift its left front wheel all the time. Might the centre of gravity be a little to high?

Thanks guys! :classic:

Awesome suspension setup! One suggestion though. I belive you dont need such high gearing for the drive and you can easily repalce at least a pair of 12:20 gears with 16:16.

I think you made one of the smallest drive axle, at least AFAIK.

Oh one more suggestion, this part might be helpfull in the axles for future buids:

I wanted to have great torque, and crawling speed, so that's why I decided for double reduction, but of course every other options are open.

I was playing around with that part, but given the 3 stud width, it allows "only" 11 stud wide axle build... oooor the end elements must be half stud wide. Hmmm, worth to think about. :wink:

It tend to lift its left front wheel all the time. Might the centre of gravity be a little to high?

It is a bit indeed, but as JJ2 wrote, it is the torque twist. First, I have built the final gearing mirrored, flat surface, straigt forward ride: I was lucky to see the first off-road lowrider in my life! :laugh:

9eb4b60381e9a27c9bddefd855f04e91.jpg

Edited by agrof

It is a bit indeed, but as JJ2 wrote, it is the torque twist. First, I have built the final gearing mirrored, flat surface, straigt forward ride: I was lucky to see the first off-road lowrider in my life! :laugh:

Yep, I know all about it...my 6x6 trucks do have the same problem... :grin: Indeed having the axles powered in opposite directions sort of eliminates that torque twist. Do I get you right that it is now improved?

Cool lowrider, would do great in off-road circumstances!!! :wub::laugh: :laugh: :laugh::thumbup:

Do I get you right that it is now improved?

No, this is the improved version.

And to add some more content, here are couple color variants:

800x450.jpg

Looks awesome! I am curious why you use these rare mudguard pieces though.

WAIT? Those are rare... I have tons of those in lime, white, ect. I am rich :grin:

Sorry for off-topic post

Cool!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :wub::classic:

I would say because they look that awesome... :laugh: :laugh: :thumbup:

WAIT? Those are rare... I have tons of those in lime, white, ect. I am rich :grin:

Sorry for off-topic post

I guess one advantage, you can slightly increase wheel travel using those which is technically superior. :thumbup:

Hi,

these parts not that rare, see here.

The reason of use is simple: I have them, I wanted to use them. :classic:

Increased wheel travel... almost, because I had to mount them from opposite side as usual happens, so 1 beam height is lost, but still fits. Also the front axle construction with built-in servo makes a lot limitation.