SilentWolf

[COR - FB LDD] Chief's Longhouse

For the backstory read here particularly challenge 2.

Sergeant Anthony Bolton and his platoon of militia were busy training the horses on the new ranch into war horses. They were also training themselves to become the first platoon of a company of light dragoons. In addition to those duties, they were tasked with both continuing good relations and establishing trade with the natives. So far things had been going well. On this occasion, Sergeant Bolton and one of his men, John Hollins, have been invited to the longhouse of one of the nearby chiefs. The event was a meeting of the chiefs of several villages to discuss trade and ongoing relations. Showing the wisdom that had earned him this post, Sergeant Bolton brought with him a gift of a sword and an ax for the local chief and as an indication of the goods they were capable of trading for the good of the area.

The meeting included a delicious feast of apples, root vegetables and wild game cooked on spits over the fire. The women of the tribe were busy preparing the meal when the Sergeant and Hollins were ushered inside by the guards. The children were busy frolicking about trying to catch the frogs that were just now coming out of hibernation. The weather though warming up was still brisk so a small coal fire was warming the inside of the longhouse where the chiefs and elders were gathered around. Upon entering, Sergeant Bolton was pleased to note that several of the chiefs there had decided the Corrington headgear they had been gifted was the best headgear to wear. Relations were going well with these villages. Hopefully the ones further inland were also amicable toward the Corrington expedition.

26128201583_8d8f6fb14b_c.jpg

26128200813_cc883e7562_c.jpg

26128200163_fecdf47af9_c.jpg

26125778134_96cc330830_c.jpg

That looks pretty sweet! It has a lovely form, and I admire your roof

Good job on a native longhouse. I was playing around with some ideas for something like this, and you've nailed it. Nice job with the smoke above the roof.

Very nice longhouse indeed, the textures are excellent, and those flex-tubes over the top and the smoke add a lot to this build! pirate_satisfied.gif Although the ground would be improved by a bit more texture, you've done a really good job overall! pirate_wink.gif

This looks very accurate to historical sources. Excellent job! I like that besides the popular islander subtheme there's still room for an interpretation of north american native's culture.

Nice longhouse, Silentwolf. It is nice to see more of the indigenous people and I think this house and the story turned out really well.

I like the liveliness of the surroundings, and my only suggestion is to try to overcome the 90 degree angularity of many LDD builds.

However, you are doing very well - now turn that hull upside down and start pumping out battleships! :P

That looks pretty sweet! It has a lovely form, and I admire your roof

Thank you! I was worried originally how to pull the roof off but after messing around with some different arrangements I found this one does the best. I was mostly worried about having a roof that was too smooth rather than the bark like texture of a longhouse.

Good job on a native longhouse. I was playing around with some ideas for something like this, and you've nailed it. Nice job with the smoke above the roof.

Thank you! I got the idea for the clear smoke from Mpyromaxos' blacksmith build.

Unique! Great creation!

Glad you appreciate the build.

Very nice longhouse indeed, the textures are excellent, and those flex-tubes over the top and the smoke add a lot to this build! pirate_satisfied.gif Although the ground would be improved by a bit more texture, you've done a really good job overall! pirate_wink.gif

I found out from my research that the longhouses both had the binding branches going vertical or parallel. I went with vertical as it was way easier than going all the way around. I was trying for a beaten down path look but I do agree that the dirt sections ended up too plain. I shall fix that when I make the village.

This looks very accurate to historical sources. Excellent job! I like that besides the popular islander subtheme there's still room for an interpretation of north american native's culture.

I appreciate that you see it as accurate. I was trying to do my best at portraying it as it was historically built. I am probably a little early with the North American native designs, but I do know them better than I know islands and jungles. (I have been to a lot of history sites and museums in North America.)

Nice longhouse, Silentwolf. It is nice to see more of the indigenous people and I think this house and the story turned out really well.

I like the liveliness of the surroundings, and my only suggestion is to try to overcome the 90 degree angularity of many LDD builds.

However, you are doing very well - now turn that hull upside down and start pumping out battleships! :P

Bregir, I will definitely have to work on character and item placement in the future. I originally just built the longhouse but then decided it needed some supporting figures and activities. I am glad it turned out as well as I perceived it did.

A great creation and a nice rendering as well. The longhouse came out pretty well. And as far as the natives are concerned, just DON'T sell them muskets! I must seriously start voting for the LDD designers to also write the work-hours needed per build. It seems so intimidating especially when you want to add some details on any given surface like on this longhouse's walls.

I think you totally nailed this long house; here's a John White illustration from Virginia, 1586, for comparison, and here's another of a whole village. Your version is pretty perfect. I'm not too keen on LDD builds on principle but you have made the most of the medium here. Great work.

As we are now starting to fill up Corrington's islands, i was wondering if you had decided what island you wanted all this it take place on? How about isalnd 4?

Edited by Fuzzy MacFuzz

Lovely longhouse. As previously mentioned, it's nice to see some natives besides just the usual islanders. It looks very historically accurate even if this isn't really tied to real history. The activity looks pretty good too, and it's nice to see an inside view. LDD isn't my preferred approach but this turned out well and could represent some of the natives who lived in or near my area about three- to four-hundred years ago. Good work. :classic: