Midlife-crisis

[BL - WIP] 10030 Imperial Star Destroyer

Love this set so much, excellent choice to bricklink. I love looking at this next to the UCS Sandcrawler and thinking "How could these be released for the same price?!" Pretty crazy when you think about it

Hi Midlife-crisis!

Was following your thread closely and I love the how you tackled the engines of the 10030. Like you, I also felt that the 10030's rear engines were a let-down as compared to the rest of the build.

After seeing Took9 & All in the Reflexes take on the rear, I decided to go ahead and try my hands at them too. After sourcing for old LG bricks (as I wanted the colours to match, as well as to only use elements that were only available during that period), I managed to come out with something. Okay, I cheated a bit by using some LBG 1x2 clips but they are hardly seen. :laugh: So here goes:

27071955564_f2a3863a15_c.jpg

27554050260_31b6825281_c.jpg

27649286366_6ba381df94_c.jpg

27684317375_00e1039026_c.jpg

Huge credits have to go to Took9, All in the Reflexes and yourself, Midlife-crisis!

Edited by Azrielsc

Amazing work Azrielsc, looks sooo much better than the original :wub:

Thanks for the comment, All in the Reflexes! It is through the inspiration from you guys that made me decide to jump in and do this! :thumbup:

Sourcing LG/DG bricks was one challenge but trying out you guys' designs, whilst putting my spin on it really caused me a headache! :laugh: I had to try and build them in whatever colours I could get my hands on before deciding if that was the design that I wanted before ordering those parts! NOT a LDD fan too!

@Azrielsc, this is some very nice greebling surrounding the engines! amazing! Hard to get the old gray 4x3 wedges in a decent amount :)

Thank you for posting your brick build engines ""in my Topic""!

@Anyone, feel free to post more brickbuild engines in this Topic, it might be a good help for anyone who start to bricklink the ISD.

@Azrielsc, this is some very nice greebling surrounding the engines! amazing! Hard to get the old gray 4x3 wedges in a decent amount :)

Thank you for posting your brick build engines ""in my Topic""!

@Anyone, feel free to post more brickbuild engines in this Topic, it might be a good help for anyone who start to bricklink the ISD.

@Midlife-Crisis: I totally agree with you with regards to the old LG 4x3 wedges. Expensive is an understatement and for me, I needed 12 left and 12 right. OUCH.

Love to see the progression of your engines as it is very informative too.

Cheers!

Dukeside - not sure I've seen a cost on a colour swap from LG to LBG - your best checking what pieces need swapping v's those not seen / other colours, take the inventory from Bricklink / Rebrickable and start building a revised parts list that you can then cost up (something like Brickstock can make it easier to make mass colour changes or do it in Excel or such...).

I've done a couple of UCS sets via bricklink and loved doing it but this one is too large in terms of room for me to think about.

I would to bricklink one of these with light bley. How much was the cost? I like the modded engine look as well.

Instead of looking at a stock standard 10030, you can check out All in the Reflexes' 10030 MOC instead.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=109505&hl=took9&st=0

Maybe cheaper since some of the expensive bricks have been replaced with cheaper alternatives. :)

Good luck!

Azrielsc- I love your engine mod! I landed a 10030 in old gray, but unfortunately it didn't have the 3 giant wheels (hence my discounted price).. I prefer your mod to the wheels anyway- so I'm hoping you could possibly either provide an LDD file of how you did it, or perhaps more angles of the engine build (detached)..? Cheers, Tom

Have any of you guys tried using the LBG death star spheres from the old planets series as the engines? I know the guy who created the huge ISD with interior used them and they look great on that.

Azrielsc- I love your engine mod! I landed a 10030 in old gray, but unfortunately it didn't have the 3 giant wheels (hence my discounted price).. I prefer your mod to the wheels anyway- so I'm hoping you could possibly either provide an LDD file of how you did it, or perhaps more angles of the engine build (detached)..? Cheers, Tom

Thanks Tom for the kind words.

Unfortunately I do not have many photos of my engine builds. But I have an excellent guide in All in the Reflexes LXF file here in post #20: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=109505&hl=took9&st=0

I had a look at his build and then just fiddled around with whatever bricks I had lying around before ordering the correct colour bricks. Sorry can't be of much help! :(