EDIT: Building Instructions Available: HERE

________

I’m a big fan of Japanese cars, mostly because of its reliability.

In the city I live in, there is a car factory which manufactures some models of Toyota and Mazda cars for the Chinese market.

Among them is the Mazda 6 Atenza, the latest model of Mazda 6 series.

26626414492_e528f881b6_b.jpg

(via Internet)

I like this car a lot. A family sedan beautifully shaped like a supercar.

Also you can choose hatchback or wagon configuration, but you don’t see a two-door race car model in this series.

So I decided to build one out of LEGO.

After a long winter, now I present you my latest MOC: A Mazda Race Car with SBrick.

26626402362_0d6ae705c0_b.jpg

26447108450_c05a8cd8ef_b.jpg

This project started with this iconic front grille. I don’t have a concept of the overall scale for this MOC, everything was decided by the scale of the grille.

Ironically, I didn’t realize part 32192 in LBG is rare until the prototype is finished in LDD, and I don’t have a single one of it. Finally got my hands on it after quite a long time.

Let’s have a look at a video first. (4K @ 30 FPS, watching in full screen is recommended)

Weight: 1130g

Dimensions: 350mm (L) x 160mm (W) x 127mm (H)

Parts count: 1390 pcs

Working headlights / taillights

26116094553_9ac5620127_b.jpg

26626380272_6a53cf9b77_b.jpg

Servo motor cable has to go between the two seats due to length concerns, otherwise I can put more details in that area. :sceptic:

26116088343_66bd6681c0_b.jpg

A tiny fake engine for a tiny space.

26447098180_e6cdf75e58_b.jpg

26719622715_8bbfd29f7d_b.jpg

I must say I’m not a big fan of soft axles and I don’t use them too much. But they look great when used to shape wheel arches.

The car is heavy towards the back, so rear suspension looks kind of weird. It gets the job done, though.

26693884246_7d463d5342_b.jpg

Drivetrain is quite simple.

Also you could find some inspirations from Madoca’s Supercar and Corvette. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

More photos:

26626376612_5204c77c10_b.jpg

26113380434_efbdec841b_b.jpg

26693864986_61684e0ab1_b.jpg

26693853466_1df47f1a3b_b.jpg

Building instructions is on the way. It will be available very soon.

SBrick can be easily replaced by PF IR receiver.

26447126010_5620b76cae_b.jpg

Enjoy and stay tuned!

Edited by KevinMoo

This is a very well executed build, looks are so cool! The way you managed to give it that grill "line" is excellent! :thumbup::classic:

Your instructions are very cool, nice way to work with photo's rather then a digital version... :thumbup: :thumbup:

It looks really nice and so well designed, the balance between aesthetics and functionality is really amazing, and the instructions looks very good, nice work.

Really love the amount of detail and how compact the build is! Instructions would be awesome.

Could you tell us or show us a little more about your studio and lighting setup? The pictures are so clear!

Could you tell us or show us a little more about your studio and lighting setup?

A quick tip: do not point your lights at your object directly, try to use diffuse reflections to create even brightness.

Cool creation!' You used the small panels really well in this creation. From the photos the car looks small, but in the video it seemed much bigger. I haven't seen a Mazda front end yet, well done

Very nice shapes!

Are you Mazda-fan?

Very nice shapes!

Are you Mazda-fan?

Yes indeed. It’s affordable, reliable, and beautiful. Edited by KevinMoo

Maybe the proportions are not working 100% for me, but the front is top! And of course all the obligatory functions there, great MOC!

Those photos... I can spend minutes just to look at them, enjoying all the details, and sharpness, I am really impressed. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I am a Mazda fan too, and I have a Mazda-3 2015 which is very similar to its big brother. I will be delighted with the instructions, keep up the good work :)

This looks like a solid build, but I am not sold...

Please don't take this as critique, or at least not as negative critique.

I actually don't like the front grille. You captured the line very well, but the connectors are too thick. A 3 mm rigid hose would have been a better choice I think.

The front window is too square. If you look at the original car the window curves backwards. Uwe's solution with flexaxles that he used in the Porsche would work better here I think.

I miss the nice curve of the roofline, going up via the windshield and then curving down again to the rear. Use the Porsche side view to compare.

The rear is a jungle of pieces. It all fits in the boundary (allthough I think the rear is a bit too high), but all the lines are destroyed. There should be a horizontal line that connects the top of the doors to the rear area. In your model there is a step...

Again, please use this as advice, rather than critique. I am fan of your models, but this one can be better...

This looks like a solid build, but I am not sold...

Please don't take this as critique, or at least not as negative critique.

I actually don't like the front grille. You captured the line very well, but the connectors are too thick. A 3 mm rigid hose would have been a better choice I think.

The front window is too square. If you look at the original car the window curves backwards. Uwe's solution with flexaxles that he used in the Porsche would work better here I think.

I miss the nice curve of the roofline, going up via the windshield and then curving down again to the rear. Use the Porsche side view to compare.

The rear is a jungle of pieces. It all fits in the boundary (allthough I think the rear is a bit too high), but all the lines are destroyed. There should be a horizontal line that connects the top of the doors to the rear area. In your model there is a step...

Again, please use this as advice, rather than critique. I am fan of your models, but this one can be better...

Thanks for the advices. I totally get your point.

Here are just some of my own opinions:

・I never wanted to build an exact copy of the original car. This should be a total fictional car, but with a little relationship with the Mazda brand. This “relationship”, and the ONLY connection, is that front grille.

・I don’t like soft axles quite much, neither rigid hoses. Basically it ruins everything IMO.

・It’s absolutely fine that people tend to like curved lines. But it just don’t work for me.

Some designers use soft axles passing through multiple beams to shape a curved panel(e.g. a rooftop or fender). To be honest, from the bottom of my heart, it’s terrible.

・I need pieces to fill in certain gaps. I can’t leave it wide open. I tried to use as less pieces and maintain the lines and curves of Technic panels as possible.

Rear part looks messy compared to the front, indeed. That is the result of pursuing complex curves with no gaps, within the range of my capability.

・Top of the doors are aligned to the top of the rear fenders(wheel arches). Rear part is 1 stud higher than the front part, that makes a perfect overall shape for a race car. To me, at least.

So I think perhaps it all could be concluded down to “personal preferences”.

Again thanks for the kind advices. :classic:

Guys, building instructions is available now:

http://rebrickable.c...car-with-sbrick

26764004381_bd5cf28acd_b.jpg

Sbrick is not included in the parts list.

There are 257 pages in total. It is big step forward compared with my last building instructions. But the number is still too high.

hope you don’t get bored scrolling. :laugh:

Also feel free to let me know if you find any mistake.

Edited by KevinMoo