Sign in to follow this  
Forresto

Game of Thrones Discussion

Well I was slightly concerned about these last two seasons because there's no book to go by.

IMO it's been slightly noticeable. The dialogue isn't as good and the plot is just suddenly hurrying along MUCH quicker without as much care to set up things. But I've still been enjoying it and it's understandable.

However... this last episode (the leaked one)... makes zero sense. (P.S. I can watch leaked episodes guilt free because I do pay for HBO :P).

MAJOR spoilers for the LEAKED episode not yet aired in most countries:

So in the leaked episode Jon and crew start going north from the wall towards Hardhome. They encounter the troubles and Gendry is tasked with RUNNING back to the wall to send a crow to send for help. Meanwhile the heroes are stuck on an island while the undead wait for the lake to freeze over again. They appear to be there... for who knows how long but there's nothing suggesting that it's a good while. They don't seem to have supplies or shelter. They can't have been there THAT long and the water can't take THAT long to freeze over again since it's so freakin' cold up there and it's the depths of winter.

Anyways. Grendy RUNS back. He's ??? miles away from the wall. Considering there's a HUGE mountain that they had to travel to that apparently wasn't viewable from the Wall itself that means that huge mountain was quite a ways away! Lets just say 50 miles. Heck, lets be conservative. Lets say 20 miles (maybe the fog blocked the view of it).

So Gendry RUNS 20 miles through the snow. Even in ideal conditions this would take a good while. 

Then Gendry sends a raven when he gets to the wall. He sends this raven to Dragonstone. Dragonstone is... roughly... 1,500+ MILES from the wall. It's waaaay far south. The North is basically the size of the United States. And a Raven will travel about 50mph. This means if the raven travels at a constant 50 miles per hour and never stops it would take the raven 30 hours. Never stopping. This is being considerably faithful in the raven.

Then Dany gets the message. Assuming she leaves immediately she's got to be on top of a dragon going ??? miles per hour. The top speed of a dragon is difficult to find but if it goes TOO fast she'd flop right off. Well whatever. The point is it takes her a while.

In this absurdly optimistic time calculation it would take a Raven that can and is trained to travel for 30 hours straight, a Gendry who ran 20-100 miles straight, and three dragons to fly up 1500 miles... rather quickly to be in time to save them. This task would more feasibly take DAYS or possibly WEEKS. But the show has gotten TERRIBLE with timing, like a few episodes ago when the boats just went to dragonstone, then some went BACK south, some ALL THE WAY AROUND the huge freakin' continent (which would take weeks or MONTHS).

The point is... this episode HAD to involve time travel. It was presented as though everything happened in a matter of hours. We get nothing suggesting that the heroes are stuck on that island for days. We don't know why the water doesn't freeze over waaaay before even the most optimistic timetables. The point is there was an ABSURD level of travelling to the point of impossibility! ABSURD.

It's IMPoSSIBLE.

One thing about Game of Thrones that I like is that even though it has magic and stuff it has stayed feeling real due to characters with a lot of depth and situations and happenings that seem like they could happen. There's a certain realism with the TV show that gives it that mysterious feel and lets us get fully immersed in it. It follows it's own rules and within the universe that makes sense. The amount of plot holes in Game of Thrones was basically zero before. But now... geeze... plot holes are getting bigger. Impossible things are happening (previous seasons had a sense of scale and time to the world as we've spent WHOLE seasons travelling and not getting very far!). The travelling feats done in this last episode were basically the TV show writers showing that they can't handle GRRM level writing and they've just begun to not make any sense.

I'm hoping it stops here. This is the first Game of Thrones episode that just made no sense. And the characters have often been acting weird this season. Why when Jon gets EVERYTHING he wanted from Dany does he decide to bend the knee? He's got everything! He knows his people might not like this and it might risk his rule! If anything bending the knee is a risk that shouldn't be taken. Is it just because he's keen on her? What a lame way to show it!

Blablabla time travel... wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff...

Edited by BrickG

On 8/19/2017 at 3:06 AM, BrickG said:

Well I was slightly concerned about these last two seasons because there's no book to go by.

IMO it's been slightly noticeable. The dialogue isn't as good and the plot is just suddenly hurrying along MUCH quicker without as much care to set up things. But I've still been enjoying it and it's understandable.

However... this last episode (the leaked one)... makes zero sense. (P.S. I can watch leaked episodes guilt free because I do pay for HBO :P).

MAJOR spoilers for the LEAKED episode not yet aired in most countries:

Reveal hidden contents

So in the leaked episode Jon and crew start going north from the wall towards Hardhome. They encounter the troubles and Gendry is tasked with RUNNING back to the wall to send a crow to send for help. Meanwhile the heroes are stuck on an island while the undead wait for the lake to freeze over again. They appear to be there... for who knows how long but there's nothing suggesting that it's a good while. They don't seem to have supplies or shelter. They can't have been there THAT long and the water can't take THAT long to freeze over again since it's so freakin' cold up there and it's the depths of winter.

Anyways. Grendy RUNS back. He's ??? miles away from the wall. Considering there's a HUGE mountain that they had to travel to that apparently wasn't viewable from the Wall itself that means that huge mountain was quite a ways away! Lets just say 50 miles. Heck, lets be conservative. Lets say 20 miles (maybe the fog blocked the view of it).

So Gendry RUNS 20 miles through the snow. Even in ideal conditions this would take a good while. 

Then Gendry sends a raven when he gets to the wall. He sends this raven to Dragonstone. Dragonstone is... roughly... 1,500+ MILES from the wall. It's waaaay far south. The North is basically the size of the United States. And a Raven will travel about 50mph. This means if the raven travels at a constant 50 miles per hour and never stops it would take the raven 30 hours. Never stopping. This is being considerably faithful in the raven.

Then Dany gets the message. Assuming she leaves immediately she's got to be on top of a dragon going ??? miles per hour. The top speed of a dragon is difficult to find but if it goes TOO fast she'd flop right off. Well whatever. The point is it takes her a while.

In this absurdly optimistic time calculation it would take a Raven that can and is trained to travel for 30 hours straight, a Gendry who ran 20-100 miles straight, and three dragons to fly up 1500 miles... rather quickly to be in time to save them. This task would more feasibly take DAYS or possibly WEEKS. But the show has gotten TERRIBLE with timing, like a few episodes ago when the boats just went to dragonstone, then some went BACK south, some ALL THE WAY AROUND the huge freakin' continent (which would take weeks or MONTHS).

The point is... this episode HAD to involve time travel. It was presented as though everything happened in a matter of hours. We get nothing suggesting that the heroes are stuck on that island for days. We don't know why the water doesn't freeze over waaaay before even the most optimistic timetables. The point is there was an ABSURD level of travelling to the point of impossibility! ABSURD.

It's IMPoSSIBLE.

One thing about Game of Thrones that I like is that even though it has magic and stuff it has stayed feeling real due to characters with a lot of depth and situations and happenings that seem like they could happen. There's a certain realism with the TV show that gives it that mysterious feel and lets us get fully immersed in it. It follows it's own rules and within the universe that makes sense. The amount of plot holes in Game of Thrones was basically zero before. But now... geeze... plot holes are getting bigger. Impossible things are happening (previous seasons had a sense of scale and time to the world as we've spent WHOLE seasons travelling and not getting very far!). The travelling feats done in this last episode were basically the TV show writers showing that they can't handle GRRM level writing and they've just begun to not make any sense.

I'm hoping it stops here. This is the first Game of Thrones episode that just made no sense. And the characters have often been acting weird this season. Why when Jon gets EVERYTHING he wanted from Dany does he decide to bend the knee? He's got everything! He knows his people might not like this and it might risk his rule! If anything bending the knee is a risk that shouldn't be taken. Is it just because he's keen on her? What a lame way to show it!

Blablabla time travel... wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff...

I think you got to remember its fantasy/adventure and none of it amounts to realism really.  Even Tolkiens books were way out of scale with time when comparing the books to the movies.  So just take it as it is.  It will be interesting to see how they finish it considering they don't want to be predictable and follow the books completely and surprise us.  The walking dead is always throwing curve balls at us to throw us off from the novels.  And  I think you have to remember that the show has to end and they are working with what they have a budget for.