Here comes something powerful, duel motor, 4x4...

26082115543_495cb1c0fc_c.jpgIMG_0374 by JJ2Sam, on Flickr

Video and description coming soon...

Look at post #10

Edited by JJ2

Wow, having built V1 this looks like a serious evolutionary step - well done! I echo the question about tyres and rims.

Edited by dtoerien

Another amazing build by a great builder...so cool!!! I really love those tires, excellent!!! :wub::thumbup:

Thanks!

Looks cool! What tires are those and what rims are they on?

Wow, having built V1 this looks like a serious evolutionary step - well done! I echo the question about tyres and rims.

They are from a Wolf Pro RC that I got at a thrift store for 1$, I spray painted the hubs black and I stuffed the large tank sprocket in the back of the hub and they act as a adapter for Lego hubs.

Beefy looking wheels! Eager to see the performance.

Not going to give away any hints but it has much better performance than my V1 Super Crawler being 1/2 the weight.

Nice, I really like those tires! Is that an L motor I see for propulsion...? The long axles must make it incredibly stable. Can't wait for more footage!

Nice, I really like those tires! Is that an L motor I see for propulsion...? The long axles must make it incredibly stable. Can't wait for more footage!

You do see a L-motor for propulsion :wink: Yes the long axles make it VERY stable, also it has a Low SOG making it be able to be at a 75* angle before tipping sideways and 80* before rolling.

Teaser time is over now so let get to it.

This is my 8th gen crawler that I built to test the new tires I got and try using a 3:1 gear ratio with L-motors. It features full 4-Link triangulated suspension, 4x4 drive by two L-motors, and 3rd party tires and rims.

26082115543_495cb1c0fc_c.jpgIMG_0374 by JJ2Sam, on Flickr

The suspension is full 4-Link floating axle suspension that has a maximum flex of about 50 degrees and about 1 inch of up-down travel. The rear motor is mounted parallel to the wheels to rid the axle of the weak 90* bevel gear alignment, the front axle due to space constants does not have the motor mounted parallel the the axle. It uses portal hubs and a M-motor for steering geared 9:1 for plenty of torque when steering.

26694905606_95836e21dd_c.jpgIMG_6258 by JJ2Sam, on Flickr

26720726955_5844103d36_c.jpgIMG_6259 by JJ2Sam, on Flickr

Although you might think the L-motors would not supply enough torque geared 3:1 but they did, thought my testing and crawling on surfaces the motors almost never stalled. The tires also helped because of their high surface contact patch and grippy "Nubs" although they are not as sticky as the 1,9 Ansmann tires. Also note the grass spinach in the rear 16T gear.

26117180163_daaf15c012_c.jpgIMG_6260 by JJ2Sam, on Flickr

I modeled the bodywork after my V1 as you could probably tell but I made "custom" stickers from the 9398 set but printed them in yellow or regular sticker paper.

Video

Hope you like it!

I am very impressed of how well the L motors performed, as you said, we would think that they wouldn't be strong enough to move a vehicle of this size like that, and even make it go thru that kind of obstacles at high speed, but it did, it also seems very stable and the suspension system is really amazing, nice work.

The lineage is unmistakable. You've certainly addressed the limitations you identified in V1 - any lessons so far from V2? Again, well done!

Nice development from the V1! Smaller, lighter and lower. Looks very capable!

I was wondering how you attached the 3rd party wheels to the Technic hubs... Is that a large yellow sprocket wheel we see inside?

Edited by SevenStuds

I am very impressed of how well the L motors performed, as you said, we would think that they wouldn't be strong enough to move a vehicle of this size like that, and even make it go thru that kind of obstacles at high speed, but it did, it also seems very stable and the suspension system is really amazing, nice work.

Yes I myself was surprised by the performance ad this was originally just a test for that and when I realized I had made 4-link suspension I had the idea to make is the V2 Super Crawler.

The lineage is unmistakable. You've certainly addressed the limitations you identified in V1 - any lessons so far from V2? Again, well done!

I am not very good it lessons but here we go,"Axle mounted motors are high in efficiency and has even better efficiency when mounted parallel."

Nice development from the V1! Smaller, lighter and lower. Looks very capable!

I wondering how you attached the 3rd party wheels to the Technic hubs... Is that a large yellow sprocket wheel we see inside?

Yes it is a yellow sprocket, it just fit just right and had a great deal of friction holding it on to the hub.

new-bright-rc-wolf-pro.jpg

The tires are made out of a material kind of like the 9398's but a little bit softer.

Very nice! I even see Ackermann steering. Thumbs up!

Thanks!

I have made the instructions and posted them on Flickr. LINK

Rebrickable is not done yet.

Thanks for the instructions will built this soon, with different tyres and I am not sure if the few yellow parts will change in blue or white.

2 hours ago, technic_addict said:

Excellent crawler with lots of power and perfect speed.  I just threw together a body on it so not the best.

1280x720.jpg

Thanks!

Yours more looks like a monster truck, how does it work without a Sbrick? One thing I noticed is the front L-Motors wire is close to the steering gear, the 1x1 bushing on the blue pin is used to sandwich the wire so no grinding happens.

2 hours ago, JJ2 said:

Thanks!

Yours more looks like a monster truck, how does it work without a Sbrick? One thing I noticed is the front L-Motors wire is close to the steering gear, the 1x1 bushing on the blue pin is used to sandwich the wire so no grinding happens.

Yes, it does look a bit more like a monster truck.  Not my intent, but I really have no interest in spending a lot of time making a body.  It works fine with a V2 receiver, just need a polarity switch for one of the L motors.  The front L motor wire probably was sandwiched at some point but may have come loose.  Doesn't seem to cause any issues.

I am a little worried about handing the controller to a child because the steering has a limit of travel but the M motor keeps pushing.  I tried placing a White clutch gear but it didn't have enough friction so would stop steering too early, so I had to take it out.

32 minutes ago, technic_addict said:

I am a little worried about handing the controller to a child because the steering has a limit of travel but the M motor keeps pushing.  I tried placing a White clutch gear but it didn't have enough friction so would stop steering too early, so I had to take it out.

Yes easy to understand, I actually let a little boy drive mine but quickly took it away because of the steering gears being ground.