ust60

The Santa fe Super Chief inspired by Robert Carney

Hello friends of Lego - Train,

knows her the Santa Fe Super Chief from Robert Carney.

Robert is known for its many spectacular Lego castles: http://carneycastle.com/index.htm

Robert has also built spectacular Lego ships: http://carneycastle....rains/ships.htm

But for me the best of all of Robert, is the Lego Santa Fe Super Chief : http://carneycastle.com/Trains/

In his Super Chief I fell in love. (Even if it is not motorized) I can not get the images out of my head.

So I started my project "large Carney Cheif" the LDD to Plan

HQyLFInh.png

6HzJiVIh.png

B3uV7dkh.png

UqgRFhqh.png

Then I have to my existing Chief entirety aware more parts 10020, 10022, and 10025 to buy.

At construction start there were five and a half 10020, and nine wagons.

mRFceJCl.jpg

GjgoAXMl.jpg

B0PU4Unl.jpg

In addition, many roof tiles and brick, Modified 1 x 2 with Grille, Pearl Light Gray.

iDkBKbTh.jpg

my little "treasure chest"

A big problem was the doors. I unfortunately had to carve itself. From two old doors, a new door was.

NPOcNAql.jpg

xY4OVIGl.jpg

So I started my project "large Carney Cheif"

x0hGMpKl.jpg

3o4r6q3l.jpg

kWfI4Fwl.jpg

Qm5pwDQl.jpg

Z27PIZ5l.jpg

fMrtRBIl.png

NV9ZDjPl.jpg

IDpWzZSl.jpg

c8ot1izl.jpg

dPbq8xvl.jpg

A5d3pKll.jpg

ZMGsqgOl.jpg

The other six cars I want to build even. The chassis waiting.

mGmlpe5l.jpg

It will take until I am finished. At the moment I think: "The project is eating me the hair from my head"

Thanks for your interest

Yours sincerely Udo

What a fantastic idea and a great start (well, you do need many more cars to complete this). So far it is looking good. A great mix of classic design and more realistic scaling. One minor quibble about the A-units is that the yellow line that forms the inside of the "bonnet" seems to have an extra bend in it at the top, just below the dark gray grils. Shouldn't be hard to fix though. Of course you know that this train is way to heavy for 9v motors (at least with just a pair) and you'll need ME curves to make it look right (stinkin tight lego curves). It will be interesting to see what you do for the round end observation car at the end of the train. The macaroni bricks were way too tight on the original 10025 cars.

Hello Ben,

your thoughts for the engine are entitled. In two locomotives and the B-Unit are each two motors together six engines. In the past cars I want two more signature. If that is not enough, I can use in each chassis an additional engine.

ahVPk2Ll.jpg

24nGekLl.jpg

CQ8s0iSl.jpg

Yours sincerely Udo

These look awesome so far, I'm looking forward to seeing more progress! The one suggestion I'd make is to somehow work in a gap between the trucks and the body of the locomotives and cars, similar to the gap between the fuel tanks and the locomotive bodies.

Fantastic!! This is indeed the correct scale, but I too was immediately worried by the heavy weight. Do you plan to run it with only 9v motors? Have you seen Haddock51:s heavy haul ore train? With a rebuilt power source he is able to run 8-10pcs of 9v motors at the same time.

I thank you for your friendly comments, and ideas. At the moment is not yet final, a lot is located on the look change.

For the motorization I'm not worried. Eight old, 9 volt motors are provided. Under each Wagon I can also install a motor. My train consisted Maerske last summer from thirty parts. Five diesel locomotives and twenty-five wagons. Under each locomotive were two 9 volt motors (a total of ten 9 volt motors) Naturally of Maerske train is lighter but with enough 9V motors is the chief run.

Unfortunately, I have no old picture from Maersk train with thirty parts. And a video link today I am too stupid.

For the power supply I use old 12-volt Lego transformers. Of this I have multiple. In the UK, the price was the lowest, only swap plug........ready.

uNc1enVl.jpg

Caution translation problem......Caution translation problem.........Caution translation problem

Please clarify with expert/ electrician....... Please clarify with expert/ electrician

The old gray 12 volt Lego transformer can withstand up to 8 ampere " burden"

TFWui3Kl.jpg

and not only with 2 Amper as the black 9 volt regulator with the big yellow control knob. Its power supply (the power plug) can only 2 Amper tolerated.

2868b.jpg

70928.jpg

In the old gray 12 volt Lego transformers. I have always 2 transformers for a circuit planned

Two transformers in parallel, the voltage keep at max. 12 volts, and the power / capacity seigt on 16 Amper.

Non - Non- two transformers in "row", the voltage rises to 24 volts, the power / capacity keep at 8 Amper

I do not use the higher 12 volt. But I can, who wants in.

the old gray regulate more accurate and finer dosing.

Thanks for your interest

Yours sincerely Udo

Hi Udo,

good to see your large Santa Fe Super Chief here! I saw the pictures already on your flickr account. And now we get the full story. Interesting concept using 9 Volt train motors and 12 Volt transformers from the 80s. Maybe you can make a picture how the transformers are connected to the track?

8-wide is super for this model, my only complain is the front window. You use 2 standard 4-wide windows in trans-clear. So the red frame is missing which is, at least for me, an important detail of this engine. Saying this, I can not think of an easy solution for this myself. Maybe red flex tubes or two of the old standard windows in 4-studs (http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?P=453ac01)?

Looking forward to the video of the complete trains ;-)

1000grüße

Holger

Beautiful. You address this train to your desire! I always love to see the custom improvements and enlargements of this grand train in LEGO form. Nicely done. I wish you great progress to the finish.

Aloha,

James Mathis

Hi Udo,

The old gray 12 volt Lego transformer can withstand up to 8 ampere " burden"

TFWui3Kl.jpg

In the old gray 12 volt Lego transformers. I have always 2 transformers for a circuit planned

Two transformers in parallel, the voltage keep at max. 12 volts, and the power / capacity seigt on 16 Amper.

Non - Non- two transformers in "row", the voltage rises to 24 volts, the power / capacity keep at 8 Amper

I do not use the higher 12 volt. But I can, who wants in.

"8 VA" is the product of voltage and current that may not bee exceeded at any time. So, it will deliver 8 A, but only at 1 V or less (at which your motors won't move your train yet).

However, the label also indicates, that at currents exceeding 0.8 A, the transformer should be switched off by the internal fuses.

You should be careful when switching old 12V transformers in parallel: When you remove all but even one plug from the outlet, the plugs of all others will be powered with 230 V by the remaining wired transformer. Touching the plug contacts is hazardous!

The newer 9V power supplies are switched power devices and hence less dangerous.

Regards

Christian

Hello friends of Lego Train,

in recent days, two more cars have been added. The shortest, the post office (50 knobs). And one of the longest, Regal House (68 knobs). Of the long 68 knobs now need another four wagons. But I'll wait times on the postman, please Mister Postman bring me my Bricks.

The shortest, the post office (50 knobs)

6FZ3rv2l.jpg

FM2f3kYl.jpg

one of the longest, Regal House (68 knobs)

36h67txl.jpg

vxd36Y6l.jpg

six parts of the planned ten, please Mister Postman……..

uyDKbM6l.jpg

Yours sincerely Udo

What a fantastic train!! This is going to be massive when complete. Do you have enough track to run the entire train on? It will certainly need some ME models wide radius curves ! Any chance that your LDD files will be posted any place? I would love do this project some time in the future.

This train and all the cars looks awesome !

The shape the color choice. Very well done. Cant wait to se what's up next ! :thumbup:

great train!

I have TLC original take, but this is big!

Will we see it running?

ust60:

Your Super Chief set is progressing nicely. I look forward to how you build the end observation car, 8-knob wide.

Back in Spring 2001 I tried these.

Ultimately, the official set 10022 LEGO® employee designer proposed and chose the trans-clear macaroni bricks. I had fun later transforming those trans-clear macaroni into a "vista" dome car, even though the Chief's Pleaseure Dome-- I think-- had polygons of flat window glass. I hadn't the opportunity to extend the set 10022 into a fourth-in-one option done car. That would have been fantastic, but if I recall correctly, the official LEGO Super Chief cars were meant to be representative of the first run real life Chief, which, correct me if I'm wrong, did not include a dome car of any type. I finally realized this 6-wide Pleasure Dome build which I found quite satisfying.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=72876

Perhaps you've seen the above already? Along with others' ideas, the widening to 8-knobs, you're own new excellent design ideas, and new elements that I'm unaware, I think your design will look impressive!

The solutions in 8-wide are very nice.

I'm am truly enjoying your periodic updates to your Super Chief project.

Aloha,

James

I have some new pictures. But I have a problem. Since you all sure. that your first lines. at the very beginning of my contribution. you read that right.

Your acclaim, your kind comments, your compliments make me very, very proud. but also embarrassed. They are not available to me. They do not go to me. I'm just someone who has fallen in love. I am in love with the Santa Fe Super Chief Robert Carney.

On my Flickr page, I wrote about the Super Chief Album: "Robert Carney has planted a dream in my head." I me this Super Chief build. is a tribute to its builder and designer Robert Carney. So please do not embarrassed me with encouragement and compliments.

It would be much more important to me the question. As it goes Robert Carney? Is he healthy and builds even today with Lego? Know him someone here in the forum personally?

I should say clearly that I was related to the images the James Mathis impressed. Some of his photos on Flickr, I have immediately added to my favorites.

3sBEbZvl.jpg

xdLfOOVl.jpg

nSMDFawl.jpg

xHI1XiNl.jpg

Unfortunately, going to the finish of the stones. New stones are ordered.

Z775XLGl.jpg

Thanks for your interest

Yours sincerely Udo

Don't be imbarresed. All idea's and further development of whatever "theme" or whatever, mostly always comes from someone else idea's ....

And indeed you do tribute him ... You developed your own impression of how you like it, or what you can accomplish with what is at hand.

Im sure people here do see that, and they love what you have done even though you feel its just a copy of someone's else work.

Well its not ... Legally it wont be a probslem till you start claiming it and try to make money of it. Thats where the passion of what you are doing stops.

oy

But thats not what you are doing. You loved what he did and builded from that point. Keep building just as all of the rest of us.

There is no shame in getting inspired from someone else work and develop it to ones own joy.

This is LEGO. This is what we love. Keep brickin and enjoy every second of it like the rest of us.

You have still made a great train ... Well, a mile long one ! :grin: :thumbup:

Edited by KlodsBrik

One of my most sincere desires when I approached the design of Santa Fe cars sets 10022 and 10025 was that train builders far and wide would be inspired to use the raw set parts and rebuild the Santa Fe into MOCs fairing even better than the official set. I hoped that the official sets would be good enough to enjoy as they were, but also they could be a starter parts pack to build glorious other streamliner train MOCs, be the required roof pieces for any train car, or even transfer to gray parts for castles and space ships.

Bigger better bolder! Enspiring and enabling. Building for others. Building from others. We build together even in a quiet silence or a remote abode.

My apologies for any embarrassment. I am glad you realize your dream while you also recognize and we honor Mr. Robert Carney. His bold build is wonderful.

I like to play.

James

Hello friends of Lego - Train, and Aloha James.

James, you have no reason for anything to apologize.

I think it's very interesting, you have designed the Wagon 10022 and 10025 Wagon for Lego. In the foreground was a child's toy, Lego was then more than today, primarily a toy for children.

James had in mind, even a second thought. This second thought the wagons 10022 and 10025 to be used as the basis / foundation for a larger train. That Robert Carney, well understood as one of the first. I am fascinated by the one at 10020, immediately see who is the template for the model. The children's toys are. although reduced to the essentials. a fairly accurate picture of the original.

Robert Carney is linked impressive to make the Kindersielzeug a model for big kids. Your words James, are responsible. I'm going to the transparent dome revising again. To leave a little more of my own handwriting.

eThWPwAl.png

mP8kGYal.png

59bLr8Yl.png

I think the sales policy, the Lego today practiced for days, not as beautiful as the days of the Super Chiefs. If you today for Maerske train (10155), the Horizon Express (10233) or the Emerald Express (10194) additional Wagons want ..... no problem simply buy more setting. The joy of shareholders weighs more (is high rated) as the buyer desires and customers.

Thanks for your interest

Yours sincerely Udo

Hello friends of the Lego railway

some of you had in mind, how the great and weighty Super Chief runs.

Now I have it known:) he will run without problems. Enjoy Watch video.

Yours sincerely Udo

Edited by ust60