Raskolnikov

[MOC] Imperial Star Destroyer Tyrant

I was going through my Facebook feed and IGN did a video on your destroyer. Well you've reached legendary status not just amongst us here at EB or Lego communities but I would think amongst the entire SW fandom. How are you taking all of this attention and internet fame?

I was going through my Facebook feed and IGN did a video on your destroyer. Well you've reached legendary status not just amongst us here at EB or Lego communities but I would think amongst the entire SW fandom. How are you taking all of this attention and internet fame?

I doubt it's going to seriously change my life or anything, but it certainly has been a lot of fun.

From the beginning I was hoping that a lot of people would see it, but the level of interest exceeded all my expectations. I mean, I had posted a TIE Bomber MOC a while ago, which got like 5k views on imgur. I thought that was pretty good. With the Tyrant, I thought I had done something more unique, so I was thinking that 100k views would be nice. But across all the blogs and news sites that have featured it, I'm pretty sure that millions have now seen it. So that's really cool. It also means, for better or worse, that those of you on Eurobricks probably will see it a few more times over the next month or so ("The Tyrant again? I already seent it!"). It was just on the brothers brick yesterday, and I was a little worried that people might consider it old news. But thankfully that post seems to have reached a lot of Flickr users who hadn't seen it yet. BB post is here: http://www.brothers-...dible-interior/

Anyway, I am sure that part of it is just the atmosphere right now. I can't remember Lego, Star Wars, or "nerd culture" generally, ever being more popular or mainstream. There are a lot of journalists and bloggers who are on the lookout for that kind of content now, and I think this fit the bill for them.

But hey, if you have any ideas to use that popularity to recoup the parts cost, let me know :)

Edited by Raskolnikov

I'm a little late to the party, Raskolnikov, but that Star Destroyer is absolutely beautiful. The detailing on the exterior alone is worth examining for a crash-course in Lego starship greebling, but it's the proportions (of the engines, for example) that are crucial to how effective it is, I think. And then to cap it all off, a staggeringly good interior. My jaw was already hanging down to the floor when I got to the pictures of the hangar. Outstanding. My son is six years old, and as a result of his interest in Lego I'm coming out of a long Dark Age. We build things together, and he'd love to build a spaceship - he's asked a few times. Now I'm torn - do I show him this, and then have him forever disappointed that we could never even get close to something as impressive as this, or not show it to him? I will show it to him, of course, and I'll hope that what it does it inspire him and me both to just get building. Marvelous. Absolutely marvelous.

I had to look at it again! Will you be making some videos maybe having a close up on the interior and maybe functions?

I've seen it when you posted the first pics on the internet, and still it's the best ISD I've seen... I wish I could make such a masterpiece!

That is an amazing MOC! The Star Destroyer itself is great, I like the interior and the scenes that you've done, but simply the shuttle is very well done too! Great job!

Oh my God! This is the most impressive Lego I think I've ever seen. I will never be able to build this and that makes me sad.

I had to look at it again! Will you be making some videos maybe having a close up on the interior and maybe functions?

Yeah, I actually did film a half-hour video like that, but I'm not sure it was up to production standards. I suppose I could re-edit the clips fairly quickly, make it more of a highlight reel with text instead of narration.

It'd be a hassle to take more footage right now because the ship is "in drydock" for repairs. It got a little damaged coming home from Brickfair VA, so I figure now is a good time to start some major alternations. The to-do list includes removing the old LEDs and putting in new, high-end ones. I also would like reduce some of the weight of the ship (some parts of are needlessly built up -- I'm bet it could shed a few pounds yet look the same). I also plan to experiment with making the panels easier to remove, and with removing visible studs from a few more sections. Don't worry, the interior and exterior still will be pretty much the same old Tyrant -- the most significant changes will be "behind the scenes." Still going to take a while, though.

And thanks for the nice words, LaPasnaille, Cedbricks, and Dukeside, glad you like it!

This is not Lego, this is engineering! Congratulations for your double success (interior and exterior).

Best regards.

I think i saw your youtube video a while back and i remeber being as speechless as i am right now, the build is amazing nuff said. And i'm also really happy to see all the feedback and press you are getting for such an amazing model you deserve all of it

you have some serious building skills my friend. probably the most impressive build i've seen to date! :yoda:

Edited by Lewi85

I've seen this build a while ago on other sites, but since I registered here I come here every day and admire it :wub: it is friggin amazing...I'd love to see a super star destroyer or FOSD from you :classic:

It sounds like you live on the east coast any chance you'll come out west to show case this beast? I would love to see it!