Raskolnikov

[MOC] Imperial Star Destroyer Tyrant

Thanks! Yep, here you go: http://imgur.com/D2igjtw

It's not one of my favorite parts of the ship, to be honest -- been thinking about adding more computers or doors or something (right now prisoners are secured by force fields, presumably). I do like the floor, though (I tried black grilles, too, but the dbg looks better when it's actually in the ship -- too dark to see anything otherwise). This picture also show some of the semi-modular construction of certain interior sections. The floors of each of the square rooms on Level 1 (including the canteen and barracks) can be removed so that I can work on them. The walls stay in place and are partly structural, but nothing actually is attached to the walls in those rooms.

*snippity wippity*

Thank you, I just really wanted to see it as I think a detention centre is a big part of anything imperial. I do agree that the floor is really nice. Can't wait to see what you will do next!

I like everything about this! I'm floored. Totally did not expect to see such an awesome MOC when I logged on tonight. Not only is it a great and wholly detailed external model of a star destroyer but the interior has every need of the crew taken into consideration. It could double as some sort of small cruiser which just happens to look a lot like a star destroyer. I love to see new characters and stories and you have so many distinct crewmen to boot. I always feel a little weird leaving a post amongst so many which boils down to "Great job, I like it!" and nothing more, but... Great job, I like it!

Look at the size of that thing!

It's probably on-par with the scale of the actual prop used in filming the opening scene of A New Hope (which I have seen in real-life, and it's amazing).

Oh. My. God. Detail, size and accuracy on the outside is amazing but the fact that you've managed to pack so much in the interior is beyond belief!

This is one of the best builds I have seen in a very long time. Brings some great inspiration to me for a larger build I've had working for two years now. Amazing work! Really love the detail and the hanger blew me away on how you fit that all in.

Like everyone else has said, this is incredible! I never thought it was possible to pack so much detail inside a UCS scaled ISD. Your hard work has paid off. My favorite part is the hanger and the minified starships. that can fit inside. it kind of reminds me of AC Pin's Republic Cruiser from several years ago. with the V-wings popping out the front.

I would love to hear more about the design and build process. Must have been a mix of hard planning and a lot of hands on trial and error... There's only so much you can do in LDD or on paper I guess

Follow up: Am I the first to notice "Jeff" ordering the penne arrabiata down in the canteen? :laugh:

Thanks again for all the great comments. It's been a little overwhelming how well the Tyrant has been received. But I gotta admit that I really enjoyed showing it to a few people in real life by telling them to "just google Lego star destroyer and it'll come up," heh.

I would love to hear more about the design and build process. Must have been a mix of hard planning and a lot of hands on trial and error... There's only so much you can do in LDD or on paper I guess

I have gotten quite a few questions about that, so I collected a few WIP pictures in an imgur album with detailed descriptions explaining some of it (it may be pretty dry stuff, though). I'm still adding to it, but feel free to check it out: http://imgur.com/a/obQGE

Edited by Raskolnikov

Thanks alot for the construction pictures (and all the comments with it!). That was a great insight!

What's next? A Death Star with a diameter of 60"? ;)

What's next? A Death Star with a diameter of 60"? ;)

I learned a lot (or probably "relearned" -- since I must have learned it in school at some point) about how to calculate volume during this build. So that idea scares me.

I was thinking that I might make an Imperial ship of more manageable size to go with this one, like an Interdictor or a Victory-class SD -- sort of apply some of the lessons I've learned, but also learn how to use LDD and make directions. I'd like to make a playable Rebel capital ship as well, but I don't have a lot of ideas on that front, yet. Those Mon Cal cruisers are just so curvy.

I learned a lot (or probably "relearned" -- since I must have learned it in school at some point) about how to calculate volume during this build. So that idea scares me.

I was thinking that I might make an Imperial ship of more manageable size to go with this one, like an Interdictor or a Victory-class SD -- sort of apply some of the lessons I've learned, but also learn how to use LDD and make directions. I'd like to make a playable Rebel capital ship as well, but I don't have a lot of ideas on that front, yet. Those Mon Cal cruisers are just so curvy.

It would be fantastic if you could maintain the scale the Kris is using in his MIDI builds. A collaboration across MOC builders utilizing the same manageable scale would be amazing for those of us with ideas of building fleets... :laugh:

^ Personally, I'd prefer Raskolnikov to continue in his massive scale dimension :) I have neither the skills, nor the budget (more importantly) to execute such thing and it's great that someone utilize both! The ability to ad valuable interior (not just some silly small room where minifig can barely stand) is just fantastic and it only works when your ship is kinda massive. And frankly, this is whole another level from what I build. Next to this, I (once again) feel like nobody :D

@Raskolnikov, sorry for bothering but my initial question might have been overlooked, yet it still makes me wonder - do you have any WIP pics of the construction or some 'diray' like remarks throughout the design and build process?

My favorite aspect is that small ships are actually able to fit inside of the Star Destroyer! This really adds to the impressiveness of its size and your attention to detail. Well done :grin:

This is epic, exterrior is great but I just got stuck at ... it has a hangar!!

I presume it weighs a ton and takes up the larger part of your living room ;)

Edited by TheJiral

^ Personally, I'd prefer Raskolnikov to continue in his massive scale dimension :) I have neither the skills, nor the budget (more importantly) to execute such thing and it's great that someone utilize both! The ability to ad valuable interior (not just some silly small room where minifig can barely stand) is just fantastic and it only works when your ship is kinda massive. And frankly, this is whole another level from what I build. Next to this, I (once again) feel like nobody :D

@Raskolnikov, sorry for bothering but my initial question might have been overlooked, yet it still makes me wonder - do you have any WIP pics of the construction or some 'diray' like remarks throughout the design and build process?

Ah shucks, makin' me blush. Yeah, my budget is pretty big -- no kids (obviously, looking at that table it's perched on) and I'm a lawyer, so my salary ain't bad. Sometimes it really cut down on my available free time, though. A few months ago I switched from a firm to the government, so I took a major pay cut but am no longer working like mad on weekends and holidays. The Tyrant probably would have been delayed another couple months otherwise. Still probably work 50 hours or so a week, though.

I do plan to keep building minifigure-oriented stuff, but probably not quite as large. Towards the end of the Tyrant, I was really just wanting it to be done. I dumped tons of hours into some marathon sessions the last couple months especially. I haven't been getting enough exercise, not been not bothering to iron my dress shirts, etc.

And yeah, if you missed it, I am working on a WIP diary that shows some of the building and design process here: http://imgur.com/a/obQGE