Raskolnikov

[MOC] Imperial Star Destroyer Tyrant

Holy mother of God. You have just achieved legendary status.

Those engines are magnificent. And the interior? Hot damn.

The more I study the interior, the more impressed I am. The attention to detail and the way everything just... fits so seamlessly. There is absolutely nothing arbitrary about it; no after thought. It literally looks like you had every last piece planned from the get go. Beyond impressed.

Edited by Schneeds

Awesome build. You raised the bar on the ISD builds. The interior really adds to the play value.

The inclusion of an interior in any build is hard to pull off at this level of detail, but I think you've nailed it :thumbup:

Can't say anything that hasn't already been said, but that's a hell of a lot of thought gone into it! Definitely up there with the best MoC'ers, and without a doubt to me, the best ISD I have seen, and there are some brilliant ones out there too.

What really gets me though... is the hangar! You even managed to fit one of them into it and actually fit 2 mini TIE Interceptors AND the shuttle!!!!

I'm speechless.

This has to be the best ISD MOC I've ever seen, such a giant ship with an equally impressive interior, its literally a piece of art. :cry_happy:

WOW really amazing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Where do you store such a beautiful behemoth.

Or did you get rid you're television and watch this masterpiece in the living room for the next comming months.

Awesome made!

This is just magnificent. You've really made my day. This is the best Moc I have seen in a very long time. Do you have any other pictures of the detention centre? I'd love to see it in more detail.

Thanks! Yep, here you go: http://imgur.com/D2igjtw

It's not one of my favorite parts of the ship, to be honest -- been thinking about adding more computers or doors or something (right now prisoners are secured by force fields, presumably). I do like the floor, though (I tried black grilles, too, but the dbg looks better when it's actually in the ship -- too dark to see anything otherwise). This picture also show some of the semi-modular construction of certain interior sections. The floors of each of the square rooms on Level 1 (including the canteen and barracks) can be removed so that I can work on them. The walls stay in place and are partly structural, but nothing actually is attached to the walls in those rooms.

I have one tiny suggestion though. For the most part there are very limited studs on the model - just enough to add to the overall detail. However there are a few large studded areas - have you considered making these areas with tiles instead?

I have thought about it and might do it at some point just to see how it looks. There actually were more studded parts of the ship until just like two weeks ago, when I declared war on studs on the engine panels and also tiled over some additional portions on the top of the ship (that thingy in the middle of the top of the ship, about a third of a shiplength from the front, for example). But alternating between studs and tiles for texture was one of the very first ideas I had for the ship, so I decided to just stick with it for some sections. I figured that leaving a few studs would go with the "supposed to look good but also is intended to be a toy" style -- but I dunno. I haven't had any regrets so far about the studded sections that I did tile over.

Also, the turbolaser turret panels are fairly thin, and they might be too flimsy if I used tiles. It would require a significant redesign, at least, to tile them -- maybe have to raise them up one plate or something, but I'm not sure how that would look.

A build like this often requires a lot of compromises, but this one pulls it off!

Thanks. True story: during the building process I sometimes described the style as "no compromises" in my own mind. Gotta have it all, you see. Also, I really appreciate the praise from accomplished builders like yourself -- maybe the Tyrant and the Redemption can do battle someday.

Edited by Raskolnikov

Adding my voice to the chorus, that's exceptional. The details are killer! Mini TIE Interceptors with room for a pilot?! McQuarrie/Phoenix Squadron A-wing captured... Sentinel shuttle... all the rooms from barracks to captain's cabin to med bay to conference room... the dark side adept room, the commissary with Jeff Vader, brilliant stuff. And then around all that already-awesome stuff is a beautiful gigantic Star Destroyer with removable panels, swiveling guns, and a wonderful little "bridge" panel for display/play options!

It must have taken a long long time. Did you work from any plans/LDD or just go for it?

It took a little over a year. No LDD or plans, since I didn't really know much about MOCing when I started it. My first idea was just to buy two 75055 sets and sort of mash them together to get a bigger star destroyer, and it evolved from there.

You should invest in a better camera to do it justice.

I am not very good with my camera heh. I probably took more pictures in the last two days than I did in the last two years, and you're seeing the best of the bunch. Photography is something that I plan to learn about.

Looking at the imgur comments looks like its allready memed, congratz

I must have missed that, that's amazing.

There is one thing bugging me far more than it should, and that is that with your senior crew! Your captain has the rank insignia of a commander, and your commander has the rank insignia of a captain!

Trust me when I say that I've thought about that quite a bit. So yeah, there is this fairly official source that lists two cylinder version of that rank badge as a commander, the one code cylinder version as a captain, and implies that the captain is senior. It is true that in the movies we always see captains with one cylinder. But I really don't know where they got the "commander" rank from at all -- at least not a naval "commander" rank that we should understand to be a rank below captain. In every situation in the movies, more code cylinders seems to mean more senior. Tarkin has four -- he can barely fit all those code cylinders in his pockets! And the only scene I know of where you have a two cylinder and one cylinder "captain" badge in the same room, the two cylinder is senior. That's Jerjerrod when the Emperor arrives. He has two, and the other Imperials have one. And although Jerjerrod is addressed as "commander," it's not being used as a term of art or a sub-captain naval rank, since he's clearly the senior-most officer there (and a Moff in canon). ROTJ pretty much ruined rank badges, of course, but I'm pretty sure the two-cylinder commander idea originated from ROTJ as well. So I disregarded the fairly official source and went with my interpretation of the movies: Lego gives us just two kinds of generic officers, the one-cylinder and the two-cylinder, and I'd think the two-cylinder should be senior as between them.

There you go. More than you cared to hear about rank badges, I'm sure :)

One important thing, though... is it swooshable (And would you dare?) ?

it definitely is not. I sort of was hoping that it would be, and a long time ago my estimate was 30 lbs. Wasn't to be. If I have to move it, I remove all the removable sections to lower the weight. But that still leaves me with about 40 lbs of creaking underside panels and technic frame.

This is just incredible ISD MOC! Very well done! I love how you used the DS halves as engines that is just awesome! The interior is superb, I really like how you depicted the bridge!

I would recommend a way to find a way to make your shield generator domes bigger, even though it may be a challenge espciabbly in SNOT. Also to echo another recommendation of finishing the tiling the hull. I do like how you used the different tile plates to add texture to the hull. How did you attached the hull coverings?

Like my MOC some proportions are a bit off in some areas, but compromises have to be made based on the size of the MOC.

Where in the US are you located, would love to check in out in person sometime.

Thanks for the honorable mention, I greatly appreciate it.

Again, superb job!

It took a little over a year. No LDD or plans, since I didn't really know much about MOCing when I started it. My first idea was just to buy two 75055 sets and sort of mash them together to get a bigger star destroyer, and it evolved from there.

Thats how my idea started, even though I initially wanted to do the New Republic ISD from the Clone Wars. Interesting.

Thats how my idea started, even though I initially wanted to do the New Republic ISD from the Clone Wars. Interesting.

Yeah, I read that in an article for the first time like last month, dunno how I missed it. I think you said you bought like six of the Venator sets when they were out, and I scrapped at least six 75055s during the early parts of this build.

I would recommend a way to find a way to make your shield generator domes bigger, even though it may be a challenge espciabbly in SNOT. Also to echo another recommendation of finishing the tiling the hull. I do like how you used the different tile plates to add texture to the hull. How did you attached the hull coverings?

Like my MOC some proportions are a bit off in some areas, but compromises have to be made based on the size of the MOC.

I agree that they generators a bit small, and I tried a bigger variant using quarter sphere (edit: I guess they're eighth spheres, now that I think about it) pieces, but it just didn't look as good. Also, the movie ISD is somewhat bulkier than people realize. Jerac, in particular, "sleek-ified" his build a little bit, I think, with a lower profile on the superstructure, bridge, and generators. And it looks quite good, that way -- slightly more aerodynamic than the ship looks in the movies. I mean really, look at this shot here: https://www.flickr.c...N03/15514972332

That's a big ole office building flying through space, there.

Edited by Raskolnikov

A thing of beauty...I'm humming the Imperial March just looking at it.

Obviously workplace safety is not a big issue for the Imperials given that some figures have literally "fallen though the cracks" to their doom!

Well played sir...well played.

I agree that they generators a bit small, and I tried a bigger variant using quarter sphere pieces, but it just didn't look as good. Also, the movie ISD is somewhat bulkier than people realize. Jerac, in particular, "sleek-ified" his build a little bit, I think, with a lower profile on the superstructure, bridge, and generators. And it looks quite good, that way -- slightly more aerodynamic than the ship looks in the movies. I mean really, look at this shot here: https://www.flickr.c...N03/15514972332

That's a big ole office building flying through space, there.

Yeah, the superstructure sits really high. I was more referring to the rear of the ship where the engines are. The domes are really hard to replicate, so I understand your frustration there. Jerry's ISD is really awesome, would have been awesome to see an interior in that bad chicken. I think I will use his SNOT technique on my next ISD.

Edited by ISDAvenger