My fastest vehicle yet, this model is designed to take trails at speed, just like the real trucks to on the deserts of the world. I was quite happy with this, it's fast, but still capable of moderate terrain. it is, just like the real trucks, very easy to flip at speed.

Rebrickable

LXF file

Instructions

Edited by ChocolateEinstein

I really like this truck, but would have loved to see a video at regular speed. Is this a possibility?

Except for the obvious slow mo, which you probably aren't referring to, the video is running at 1x speed! the power of the buggy motors is incredible! :laugh:

When the Mario Kart music starts playing you can tell by the movement of the leafs that the video is sped up. I thought the rest of it was also accelerated.

When the Mario Kart music starts playing you can tell by the movement of the leafs that the video is sped up. I thought the rest of it was also accelerated.

I guess you can choose what to believe. If it makes it any more believable, It was quite windy, as i tried to show with the establishing shot at the beginning of the video. Also, I dont think I could have accomplished some of the minor drifts or sick jumps with anything slower. if you build the vehicle, or even a similar vehicle, with the same motors, I think you will find the same result as me. Ya know what, I think you've inspired me to do the maths (and also I wanna see it's theoretical top speed)!

mmk, so the wheels i'm using are 62.4 mm, so it has a circumference of 196mm, or 0.0196km. the motors, which by my estimation were able to get to about at about 80% of their max output when the vehicle is running on flat tarmac; faster if downhill. according to Philio have a max output of (on the inner output) 1700 RPM, is going to output 1360 RPM in the vehicle, or 81,600 revolutions over the course of an hour.

with these two figures, we can calculate how fast the vehicle can probably travel. if we multiply the circumference by the RPH, we get 15.999 km/h on flat ground, or 19.992 km/h top speed if the motors run at max output!

Very good performance, and good weight distribution! Like. :classic:

Amazing truck, awesome speed, very good suspension design, very cool video editing, grats dude ;)

I guess you can choose what to believe. If it makes it any more believable, It was quite windy, as i tried to show with the establishing shot at the beginning of the video

Apologies, "I thought the rest of it was also accelerated" should have been "I thought the rest of it might have been also accelerated." I don't doubt the speed of the truck, but the movement of the leafs at 4:32 looks accelerated, even if it wasn't. That was what made me think that maybe certain sections of the video were sped up.

Anyway, it's got very good performance, congratulations.

Excellent build and video.

I saw in the video you had a second truck. It would have been a more impressive video if you put the video camera on this truck for part of the race.

To do this, I would remove all cosmetic features from the "camera truck" and use stiffer springs or a second set of springs to adjust for the increase in weight.

EDIT: I made some cosmetic modifications including more accurate A pillars (based on looking at a few Dakar trucks), slightly different color scheme, and different grille.

I might do a lights system, time permitting.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7ClftNJdh9_YXp5b1NYYnJjbmc/view?usp=sharing (LXF)

Edited by TheLegoExpert

Excellent build and video.

I saw in the video you had a second truck. It would have been a more impressive video if you put the video camera on this truck for part of the race.

To do this, I would remove all cosmetic features from the "camera truck" and use stiffer springs or a second set of springs to adjust for the increase in weight.

It's crazy, but the second truck is actually a render! I've been usingBlurender, which is truly incredible; that render came out in 20 minutes!

I wish I had enough cash for two trucks :P

I made some cosmetic modifications including more accurate A pillars (based on looking at a few Dakar trucks), slightly different color scheme, and different grille.

I made some cosmetic modifications including more accurate A pillars (based on looking at a few Dakar trucks), slightly different color scheme, and different grille.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7ClftNJdh9_Snp4a01UeWpsLTQ (this is the new lxf)

It's crazy, but the second truck is actually a render! I've been usingBlurender, which is truly incredible; that render came out in 20 minutes!

I wish I had enough cash for two trucks :P

Impressive!

I might build a modified version of this truck though see below, I just took apart 42009 :thumbup:

EDIT: Not sure why that posted twice. BUT, I was wondering, you could strengthen the roof structure in the case of rollovers, maybe increase chassis performance at sub-rollover speeds while cornering, by using my design.

Edited by TheLegoExpert

This is a good example of showing how my version is a bit more accurate in the grille, though a fully system build should be far more realistic: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=dakar+truck&view=detailv2&id=64BD6C65570104DA7C06F1676F2179DADCCE8451&selectedindex=21&ccid=IW6fb%2BPX&simid=608033096519647425&thid=OIP.M216e9f6fe3d758784923285919e46443o0&first=1

https://drive.google...Snp4a01UeWpsLTQ (this is the new lxf)

Impressive!

I might build a modified version of this truck though see below, I just took apart 42009 :thumbup:

EDIT: Not sure why that posted twice. BUT, I was wondering, you could strengthen the roof structure in the case of rollovers, maybe increase chassis performance at sub-rollover speeds while cornering, by using my design.

That's awesome! its cool that you thought enough of this to make it better! If you do decide to build it with your lxf, make sure to add a stable connection for the front suspension bars, as they could move freely if left as is. I tried using axle connectors for the roof, but they were a bit heavier, and could break when I tried to pick it up by the roof. plus, the axles were pretty tough, so I didn't worry much about it. however, they do look much better. I would recommend using the axle connectors with pinholes to reduce part count and weight, as well as beams in attached to the pinholes, so give it more structure.

I am working on some fancier instructions, so if you wait a couple days, you can build the main chassis with them, and just add your mods on top!

Good luck!

Incredibly robust, i like that car) I think that covering back of the truck with paper... something like tent - it's not a seroius violation of lego purity. And great video)

If you're interested, I have a template for a canopy that can be made of any 12 x12 in material. It would take me a little to make it into an easy to print document. I left it off because it felt a but heavy, although the one I was using was heavy cardstock. I just liked the skeletal look, so I used that for the video.

That's awesome! its cool that you thought enough of this to make it better! If you do decide to build it with your lxf, make sure to add a stable connection for the front suspension bars, as they could move freely if left as is. I tried using axle connectors for the roof, but they were a bit heavier, and could break when I tried to pick it up by the roof. plus, the axles were pretty tough, so I didn't worry much about it. however, they do look much better. I would recommend using the axle connectors with pinholes to reduce part count and weight, as well as beams in attached to the pinholes, so give it more structure.

I am working on some fancier instructions, so if you wait a couple days, you can build the main chassis with them, and just add your mods on top!

Good luck!

I can imagine how it would be weaker picking it up from the top. However you can always pick it up from the bottom which is more robust. And this will look bettter.

I am also interested in the canopy, I could make a fabric tent :thumbup: :thumbup:

Wow, this truck is really fast. Nice build and great job with the video!

I am also interested in the canopy, I could make a fabric tent :thumbup: :thumbup:

Incredibly robust, i like that car) I think that covering back of the truck with paper... something like tent - it's not a seroius violation of lego purity. And great video)

alright, looks like a lot of people are interested the template for the canopy. give me a day or two, and I'll have an image! :sweet:

This one may not have the looks but it surely outperforms many other attampts. This is what engineering is all about, in my opinion. Excellent work!