Sign in to follow this  
sparkart

[MOC WIP LDD] Psycho Zaku from Gundam Thunderbolt

Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt is the first Gundam series, the first anime series, in a long-time, that I really like. I don't hate anime. I only hate 95% of it, but that other 5%, I absolutely adore.

Here's a LEGO model depicting the MS-06R High-Mobility Type Zaku II (Psycho Zaku) from Gundam Thunderbolt. Isn't that a mouthful?

26572812201_d8f3ac9139_o.gif

I'm about 80% sure 80% of this will work in real-life, and am Bricklinking like mad to compile the bricks and elements for it (almost two-dozen Bricklink orders already).

For me, LEGO Digital Designer makes it easier to go through the iterative, refining design process, so I start nearly all my models with it. Here's a progression of a few iterations:

26365257140_fc3eef1f95_c.jpg

I came back to LEGO after a 27-year-long Dark Age, so I don't have a life-time supply to brick with which to play and experiment. I absolutely rely on LDD to help me build, since I don't have a lot of inventory. I usually try to make bookshelf-sized models, hand-sized models. That's the sweet spot for me, a size that allows for nice scale detail and proportions, but not so large that it stresses the LEGO building elements and costs an arm and a leg to make. This one's going to bigger than usual, maybe a foot-and-a-half tall (45 cm).

In most of my builds, I can identify an "enabling" piece, that crucial part, from which everything else is scaled or built upon. For example, for these S.P.E.E.D.E.R. bikes, it's the mini-fig helmets. For this Zaku model, it's the pearl gold fez used for the small rocket thrusters. There's almost 50 of those rocket thrusters on this Psycho Zaku!

Is it just be me, or do you also read "Psycho Zaku" aloud with a dramatically lowered voice? Try it, "PSYCHO ZAKU!"

I plan to make stickers for this model, too. I'm not going to try to replicate all the markings, just the big ones like the "96" on the right shoulder and right toe, and the Zeon insignias on the chest and right shoulder armor. I think the model would look better in dark red, rather than bright red, but not all the requisite pieces are available in dark red, particularly the new 2x2 wedge plates used in sides of the feet that suggest a boot heel.

Edited by sparkart

That's a very adventurous build! I don't know anything about Gundam (other than that they're cool looking robots), but that thing is most impressive.

Have you worked out the balance issue? It looks like it's gonna be a bit back-heavy.

I think it looks ridiculously back heavy. :)

I'm curious myself if those long tank extensions that jut out the back of the backpack will work without too much sag in real life, and if the Technic joiners that connect them to the backpack will support them, at all.

Edited by sparkart

Pieced together the hands, to try out ideas for gripping the weapons. I thought the big axe was called a "heat axe", but apparently, it's a "heat hawk", the heat part meaning the blade is energized, the hawk part coming from the word "tomahawk"

26726685061_124f21a6b0_n.jpg

In the palm of the hands, there are a couple of studs, so that the hands can clutch the weapons better:

26189955333_a59bced13c_n.jpg

With the weight of the big bazooka guns, this connection is tenuous. But hey, it's not a kid's toy. It's not for 8-year-olds. This is an adult toy. Hmph. :)

Edited by sparkart

Kunio Okawara designed the Zaku Mobile Suit, but he credits Gundam director Yoshiyuki Tomino with the "mono-eye” idea, https://vanishingtro...nkei-newspaper/

For a later iteration of this LEGO model, I'm hoping to light that eye up from the inside. The chest is big enough, I think, to house one of the aftermarket lighting kits. Kinda odd that an optical sensor, like the mono-eye supposedly absorbs light radiation to detect it, but often times, it's depicted as lighting up in model kit builds and anime, kinda signifying the machine is powered on. Maybe, rather than a passive sensor, it's an active sensor that also emits some kind of photonic radiation that bounces back that the eye can see. Man, I'm really a nerd-geek sometimes.

Edited by sparkart

66sPBRz.jpg

The great philosopher, The Tick, once observed that, "Gravity is a harsh mistress." This model is an example of that. I'm dialing back plans to mount three bazookas on the top booster tank (as it is often depicted), and just putting one up there. The LEGO is being stressed quite a bit by that long cantilever construction. I don't want to put more structure on the rear to support the booster tanks. The existing stand (that looks like scaffolding under the robot) already ruins the zero-G floating effect enough, I don't want to add more structure and take focus away from the model itself.

yoB1Hzw.jpg

The rulers in the above photo are 12 inches long (300mm). The finished model should be about 1.5 feet tall at the tallest point in the rear and 1.5 feet long (450 mm tall and 450 mm long).

About 90% done. It's still missing a few pieces, and I'd like to make some markings with label maker tape, but this is pretty much the way it's going to look overall.

I put one bazooka on the top booster tank (there should be three). It looked a little blank with nothing, but with one, there's at least the outline (in profile) of the mounted weapons on top of the booster tank.

Wow!!! I love this sooo much!! I'm a huge Gundam fan (bit like you i think - not really much into anime but love Gundam) and have a few 1/100 sets in progress at all times, but I'd never thought of doing lego versions. Totally genius!! Excellent

WOw this is amazing!! Any chance I could get the LDD file? I am trying to make a Gouf custom, and this would be a perfect starting point.