DrJB

[GBC] Fast Ball Sorting Robot - by Akiyuki

Looks like Akiyuki got an EV3 set. Does this mean his GBCs are becoming 'intelligent' ?

It's impressive that this is done with a grabber, but Philo's solution for fast sorting (see video below) seems better suited for long-term displays. It has less moving parts, the mechanical elements travel a shorter distance, motors turn less and it doesn't use elements that have a limited lifespan (rubber bands).

I'm still in awe that Akiyuki achieved such performance with this module, I'm just not certain why he would pick such a complex solution.

It's impressive that this is done with a grabber, but Philo's solution for fast sorting (see video below) seems better suited for long-term displays.

I disagree: Akiyuki's model is much more refined and pleasing to the eye. Philo's model is very effective, but I don't think he focused much on design.

Design was somewhat constrained by the use of a single NXT kit ;)

It has less moving parts, the mechanical elements travel a shorter distance, motors turn less and it doesn't use elements that have a limited lifespan (rubber bands).

Not sure either that the friction pin in hole as a clutch would hold over a long time period...

Akiyuki's model is really neat (as always!)

True Akiyuki's model is very aesthetically pleasing ... However, I like very much the 'multi-level' binary/gate sorting mechanism philo implemented. To me, it's more than just the looks/functionality, it's also the inner workings/math/algorithms. Let us not forget that, when the first GBC specs were 'drafted', philo blasted them all with his own GBC modules, some of them still running today. Yes, I also started my GBC adventure based on philo's page, and built those shown below, based on philo's instructions.

http://www.philohome.com/gbc/gbc.htm

hail-v.jpgsweeper-v.jpgshovel2-v.jpgwave1-vv.jpgpump1-vv.jpg

Edited by DrJB

Well... I participated in an "alien" ball contraption last week, using VEX IQ parts (

). Just hope mentioning this is not against forum rules ;)

There was a VEX IQ GBC segment last year at Chicago's Brickworld. In all honesty at first I felt (What the h*** is that?). But then again, with competition comes product improvement and new ideas.

Edited by DrJB

It's impressive that this is done with a grabber, but Philo's solution for fast sorting (see video below) seems better suited for long-term displays. It has less moving parts, the mechanical elements travel a shorter distance, motors turn less and it doesn't use elements that have a limited lifespan (rubber bands).

I'm still in awe that Akiyuki achieved such performance with this module, I'm just not certain why he would pick such a complex solution.

GBC modules are supposed to be inefficient on purpose - that's the ethos behind the models. It would be far more efficient to just build a large circular track around a table with a simple lift to move balls around the table. GBC modules are supposed to move them in an interesting / needlessly complex fashion.

GBC modules are supposed to be inefficient on purpose - that's the ethos behind the models. It would be far more efficient to just build a large circular track around a table with a simple lift to move balls around the table. GBC modules are supposed to move them in an interesting / needlessly complex fashion.

You are correct, although I never discussed the efficiency of either system. I was commenting on the long term durability of the mechanisms. Both topics are linked, but they can also be addressed individually.

Hello

Can someone point me towards the software to run the Fast ball sorter - Planet GBC software files; when I go to open them are blank! Although, I might be doing something wrong.

On 4/25/2016 at 10:39 PM, DrJB said:

Looks like Akiyuki got an EV3 set. Does this mean his GBCs are becoming 'intelligent' ?

How dare you imply that most GBCs are not intelligent! ;)