Hello everyone! This time I built a modification of rm8's Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40.

FJ40 Crawler

800x450.jpg

Weight: 1145g

Propulsion: XL motor for 4 wheel drive

Steering: Servo motor

2 speed gearbox: M motor

Winch: M motor

Headlights: PF light

Powered by: SBrick and 8878 rechargeable battery box

This is my third SBrick model. One SBrick and a rechargeable battery box fit well in the rear space.

Unfortunately tumbler tires from 42050 cannot use for front axle. They touch the connectors when steered. So I used normal balloon tires. :blush:

One XL motor has enough power to climb the slope of over 35 degrees even in high gear (4.2:1). It can climb much steeper slope in low gear (12.6:1) but less-grippy balloon tires would start slipping. You can see that situation in the second half of the video.

Building process was not straightforward.

First, I decided to adopt bigger wheels, working headlights, motorized two speed gearbox and winch. Also I was planning to keep the whole original bodywork as possible.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Like rm8’s chassis, it has front and rear live axles with 3 links. In offroad driving, 81.6mm wheels require gear reduction after differentials. My first attempt was using central torque vectoring diff and rear portal axle like my Off Road Pickup. Front axle was not changed. Although it kept the same wheelbase as original, this version was failed. Every time I started driving, 20t bevel gear and diff disengaged.

Second plan was using front and rear portal axle. I tried to make the wheelbase as short as possible. It became five studs longer than the original. So I needed slightly longer body.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Building whole chassis was the most difficult. The problem was how to minimize the mechanism of motorized gearbox. I used new driving ring and red clutch gears. I felt that they were stronger elements than old version and they could handle more torque. Although 2 speed gearbox was simple, I had to hide the whole mechanism under the seats. I eventually squeezed a mini linear actuator into the left of gearbox. Changing gears is not fast, but it's easy to adjust lever in neutral position in case of using winch.

The winch mechanism is the same as the original. It is powerful enough to help climbing steep hills.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

I have to say that rm8 had achieved perfect weight distribution. :thumbup: I recognized it when I was attempting to build various versions of chassis which had different motor locations. So in my final version, all PF elements are in nearly the same position as original.

800x450.jpg

The bodywork needed some minor changes due to the new chassis and my parts assortment. In original “face”, it was impossible to put LEDs into behind the headlights and shine trans-clear parts. Moreover, Round tile 2x2 trans-clear seems not to be the official parts. My alternative was built out of available parts. I know the original looks far better and hard to change. But it was worth for me to find another solution.

800x450.jpg

Original FJ40 is modular building. It has various options like doors, roof and snorkel. Since my MOD became bigger and heavier, I didn't add the roof. (Still, four soft shock absorbers are slightly compressed when it stands stationary.) Instead, I built detachable doors in two versions.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Building instructions: http://rebrickable.com/mocs/Madoca1977/fj40-crawler

I hope you like it! :wink:

Edited by Madoca 1977

Fantastic MOD (or better called MOC) again, now there is no way back...

I could resist to build rm8's original till now, but with this upgrade / rebuild, it is a must have on my shelf. :sweet:

Thank You in advance for the instructions! :thumbup:

Edited by agrof

Well, this deserves to be a standalone moc, not mod. As I said, even width, front axle with high torque and gearbox - unusual decisions. And of course bonnet idea that you helped me 2 year ago - finally it goes back to designer:)

worthy mod! Very interesting to look at the design of the front axle

It was hard to put 24T gears into that space. I use pairs of black pins and 63965 from 42050. Since they are thinner than usual connectors, they never touch gears.

800x450.jpg

Very nice creation Madoca, i really like your axle designs, the gearing down and how compact and strong they are is very impressive, i cant wait to see the instructions, and also, i am wondering, how would they look with 3rd party tires.

would you consider making instructions including the doors for both and the spare tire carrier?? Amazing model by the way, and interesting front axle. surprised how strong it is

Freakin' brilliant. I also like the fact that it looks pretty compact and components are neatly set there. Bravo!

I'm currently building RM8's land cruiser as to me its one of those functional must have moc's

But once again the lego genius that is madona has upped the game..

Thank you for all your kind words! :laugh:

I hope no ants were hurt in the making of this video

No ants were stamped in the making of this film!

would you consider making instructions including the doors for both and the spare tire carrier??

Yes, it will include those options.

I came up with better solution for front grill after sharing pictures and video. :grin: So upcoming instructions will look like this.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Edited by Madoca 1977

Thank You Madoca for the effort and for sharing! We have a lot things to analyse... :classic:

Studied the building instructions and it confirm this is an amazing build "Madoca 1977"!!! We already has established that, I know, but nonetheless... :wink:

The way you use the parts and the way to manage to squeeze it all in there is phenomenal! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup::wub: :wub: