The next morning Captain Whiffo and his first and second mate strode into the ship builders office again. "Sir," exclaimed the director, still elated by the events of the preceding evening, "there she be, ratlines and rigging tight, and all in all quite seaworthy!"

26500333882_e16d07a62d_z.jpg

"Haha!" replied the Captain, and, turning to the mates, he exclaimed, "prepare the crew by high tide, and we shall be off at once!"

"Uh, Cap'in," replied the second mate, "you do know you've given us exactly five minutes?"

"Pshaw!" responded the captain, "well, then make it five and a half. We're off to Pontelli, me hearties!"

25987641624_85ffec8ee5_z.jpg

Five and a half minutes later the anchor was up, and the Henri sailed out into the uncharted waters of adventure.

26500258522_e532606115_z.jpg

A few hours later, as the first watch went below, Captain Whiffo sent for his first mate in his cabin.

25989859063_e21690ae39_z.jpg

25989876123_9f8ee84d0c_z.jpg

"Mr. Bowditch, sir," he began, "as you can see, we be hear, and need to get somewhere over there to Pontelli." That was now taken care of. "Before we left, by the by," went on the Captain, "I went over to see Wilkinson, and he informed me that he had settled the whole mayor thing, and I have his letter to Alberto de Pontelli right here. Let's see," he cleared his throat.

To Alberto de Pontelli Terreli, 23rd of April, 616

As mentioned earlier, your experiments in the area of using the phlogiston extracted from Oleonish wine to lift pieces of cloth with other various oddities of a round and brownish hue - in short, with coconuts - into the air, convinced me that your worthy self would make a most excellent mayor for the settlement of Pontelli - though, also, as mentioned previously, either Colonel Brickinson or some other person willing (or not) would be the one who would have to do all the work involved in the post. I give you, sir, my congratulations, and hope that you may have a long and prosperous life (at least as long as may be reasonably expected, given one with your own occupation), and that you will avoid blowing up (or down) more houses in the settlement than necessary for the pursuit of science.

I sincerely hope that this letter reaches you in good health - in short, in a pre-poisoned, exploded, burst, or other uncomfortable condition, and that you will enjoy and make the most of your new and honorable position.

Yours,

E. T. Wilkinson de Chauncourtois

"Well, well," continued the Captain, "there is a fine end to that business. That is all!"

26593020645_a1e266b388_z.jpg

The second mate soon after came down and called on the Captain.

26319700110_b22095d8d6_z.jpg

"Compliments, sir," he declared, saluting, "the weather looks fine, sir, and Terreli has just faded astern."

"Very well then sir," replied Captain Whiffo, "I shall go topside then and see what's up with that Oleon passenger guy."

26500362742_8d8ce8535f_z.jpg

Meanwhile Myles had checked that all the cannon, powder, and balls were prepared for any time at which they might be needed. Pirates and other enemies (well, for all practical purposes they were pirates too...) swarmed the seas, and though the Henri could easily outrun most of the other ships east of Terraversa, it were always best to be prepared.

26319671010_f7dd53e662_z.jpg

26500373822_7b82ac214e_z.jpg

Off they were to sea, at last, and to the Pontelli - the first mate smiled a bit as he thought of de Chauncourtois' letter, and though he likewise did hope that they would arrive to find the new mayor (well, soon to be, that is) in a pre-exploded state, it was undoubtedly just a tad eccentric to actually declare as much.

26500376352_aeda82e40a_z.jpg

The second mate:

26526886631_e2b55fedd6_z.jpg

The interior:

26500386972_ef21775fa6_z.jpg

26500384612_aa991f9b8f_z.jpg

I was quite surprised to find how little interior room (comparatively speaking) there was in such a large-ish ship, but I tried to make the most of what I had!

The cook:

26500406572_1318375de3_z.jpg

And a couple of unedited overview shots:

25987618094_eb22b3b9ce_z.jpg

26566625396_27aa6cc339_z.jpg

The crew (well, most of the crew was actually below deck when I took the first pictures, and above when I took the interior shots, so they don't show up here - at least, that was the excuse they gave! :tongue::laugh:):

26592872035_2c6410879a_z.jpg

It's finally ready! The Henri took a little over one month to build, and a little less than that to edit (I did have a lot of other things to do, btw!) A fast trading ship (I'm think Class 7 or 8F, but I won't be licencing it for a while yet), the Henri has a complete interior, an armament broadside of three 18 pounders, and a very exhausting amount of rigging! She is owned and commanded by Captain Whiffo, a high ranking member of the ETWC. Myles Bowditch (my sig-fig) is the first mate and navigator, and the second mate is the guy behind the wheel (if the story didn't make that clear!).

The Henri was greatly inspired by the Putnam and Koen's awesome De Ruyer Frigate, which was a lot of help, especially with the rigging - which, by the way, I believe I only had to redo completely once, due to the wind (it was blowing a hurricane when I went out to take pictures!) blowing the white posterboard down on it from above (when I discovered the 17-18th century ships were apparently not rigged with such a possibilty in mind!) Thanks for viewing, C&C are always welcome!

Best.moc presentation.ever! I was striving to check if the first picture was a real ship or not...! Nice looking ship, excellent rigging, really interesting ship building techniques an a great cast of minifigs! What else to ask for?

Amazing creation! beautiful ship with very nice presentation!

Loved your sails work and the cook!! Good job!! pir_laugh2.gif

Your ship alone is pretty awesome, but the presentation is pretty awesome as well! The letter is pretty awesome and the fact you included an interior... :wub: pretty awesome!

Interesting ship building technique. Maybe a little bulky here and there, but definetely something new!

Great presentation. Your ship's hull construction seem very thick. Cannon balls are going to have a hard time penetrating it. Good work on the rigging. Sea Rats like seeing ratlines. :classic:

Well, Garmadon - this is brilliant! :pir-oh:

A very well built ship throughout, and when I figured the hull was brickbuilt I was even more impressed. The full interrior is great, and the use of those arches is quite brilliant. I am very impressed with the overall shape and the integrated cabin is really good.

The rigging is very well made, but adding ratlines to those thin shrouds must have been horribly stressfull! :pir-grin:

In short, your month of hard work on this has really paid off - and as far as I remember, this is your first BoBS vessel, isn't it? Very impressive!

I only have too comments:

1) While the guns are looking great, they seem incapable of firing in anything but high elevation, due to the lack of gun ports. Will be unhandy in closequarter combat, especially with smaller pirate vessels. :pir-laugh::pir-wink:

2) You write:

(I'm think Class 7 or 8F, but I won't be licencing it for a while yet)

Might one assume you meant "4 or 5F"? :pir-blush: That seems more logical to me :pir-grin:

Enjoyed the story too, by the way. And the edited pics look great, but I am really happy you also included the un-edited pics, as it is much easier to make out the details there. The edited are great for story-telling, though! :pir-blush:

Let me know if she will ever be for sale! :pir-wink::pir-tongue:

Edited by Bregir

That's certainly a build to be proud of. You can see the effort that went into it. Well done.

Alberto da Pontelli was delighted by the letter, although he was complaining to his wife that this "ET guy" was getting his name wrong all the time.

He quickly started to give errands to Colonel Brickinson.

Fantastic ship, really fine. Custom hull, custom rigging, custom cannons and everything! Just perfect!

(and photography/editing is also top notch)

Brick on! pirate_laugh_new.gif

Impenetratable hull!! No hurricane and pirate will ever be a thread to her default_laugh_new.gif

Garmadon, this is a super fine vessel default_wubnew.gif

It's the cleanest slope based approach to a hull I've seen so far, and the fact that you not only created a splendid model, but that your ship is also a playable dream for anyone young at heart is what makes her stand out. And the rigging... just wow! That's time well invested!

Great ship! And cool story, too, of course.

May the winds and currents be ever in her favor default_classic.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gif

This was definetely worth waiting for!

Such a presentation! Such a solid custom made hull! Such a beauty!

It is difficult to put a size on the ship Bregir, a quick calculation gives me 60 studs hull length, making it at least 5, probably 6, max 7...

It is difficult to put a size on the ship Bregir, a quick calculation gives me 60 studs hull length, making it at least 5, probably 6, max 7...

She doesn't look larger than for instance the Heart of Eslandia to me, though. I might be wrong, but I would say Garmadon's vessel is a perfect example of a class 5. pirate_blush.gif

Beautiful ship indeed! I love the way that you built the whole bottom deck!

A very nice ship in itself, the sails, the deck, the cannons - all work out wonderfully well!

The interior details are just the icing on the cake, so many great techniques and just flawless execution.

But that presentation tops it all, exquisitely amazingly executed!

Fantastic ship Garmadon, really nice hull and the rigging is incredible! Very nice edits too! :thumbup: The interior is really good as well - great work!

She doesn't look larger than for instance the Heart of Eslandia to me, though. I might be wrong, but I would say Garmadon's vessel is a perfect example of a class 5. pirate_blush.gif

If I may, having seen this IRL, I think it's a great deal larger than the HoE - at least a Class 6 and not unreasonably a Class 7. It's a lot bigger than it looks at first glance. The smoothness of the lines can easily throw off size estimates. pirate_wink.gif

I looked at it another time, Kai, and I see that I misjudged her beam - she is wider than most other vessels here - which again led me to misjudge her length somewhat. About 18-20 studs in beam, as far as I can see!

That probably makes her the size of a small frigate or so, and, without knowing the MRCA 2.0 classes, we might as you say, assume that means class 6, or possibly 7. We will see when the new MRCA is launched. pirate_blush.gif

To rating in general, I would like to see people less set on a predetermined rating, and more interested in finding the "right" rating post-moc'ing and -posting of the vessels.

It would be a shame to have people more set on getting the game-wise advantages of a class XY than on following the letter and, more importantly, spirit of the rating system. pirate_blush.gif

Thanks a lot all! Glad to see that you all agree that the time put into this was worth it! pirate_satisfied.gif (Not that I'm going to build another one this size for a while! pirate_laugh_new.gif)

Best.moc presentation.ever! I was striving to check if the first picture was a real ship or not...! Nice looking ship, excellent rigging, really interesting ship building techniques an a great cast of minifigs! What else to ask?

Thanks blackdeathgr! That first picture took me a few days just to cut out, but it ended up being my favorite of the overall edits as well! Thanks a lot! pirate_satisfied.gif

Your ship alone is pretty awesome, but the presentation is pretty awesome as well! The letter is pretty awesome and the fact you included an interior... :wub: pretty awesome!

Thanks Titus! Interiors all the way! pirate_wink.gif

Interesting ship building technique. Maybe a little bulky here and there, but definetely something new!

Thanks kabel! pirate_satisfied.gif

Great presentation. Your ship's hull construction seem very thick. Cannon balls are going to have a hard time penetrating it. Good work on the rigging. Sea Rats like seeing ratlines. :classic:

Ha, ha, thanks Dr_Spock! pir_laugh2.gifpirate_satisfied.gif Glad to make our Sea Rat friends happy! default_laugh_new.gif

Well, Garmadon - this is brilliant! :pir-oh:

A very well built ship throughout, and when I figured the hull was brickbuilt I was even more impressed. The full interrior is great, and the use of those arches is quite brilliant. I am very impressed with the overall shape and the integrated cabin is really good.

The rigging is very well made, but adding ratlines to those thin shrouds must have been horribly stressfull! :pir-grin:

In short, your month of hard work on this has really paid off - and as far as I remember, this is your first BoBS vessel, isn't it? Very impressive!

I only have too comments:

1) While the guns are looking great, they seem incapable of firing in anything but high elevation, due to the lack of gun ports. Will be unhandy in closequarter combat, especially with smaller pirate vessels. :pir-laugh::pir-wink:

2) You write:

(I'm think Class 7 or 8F, but I won't be licencing it for a while yet)

Might one assume you meant "4 or 5F"? :pir-blush: That seems more logical to me :pir-grin:

Enjoyed the story too, by the way. And the edited pics look great, but I am really happy you also included the un-edited pics, as it is much easier to make out the details there. The edited are great for story-telling, though! :pir-blush:

Let me know if she will ever be for sale! :pir-wink::pir-tongue:

Ha, ha, I don't plan on it! default_laugh_new.gif Thanks a lot Bregir, brick-built hulls are some things I really like seeing (and building), and was definitely something I wanted to go for here! (Plus, I don't have any prefabs, really, so I didn't have much of a choice! default_laugh2.gifpir_laugh2.gif) The arches, as well as a bunch of other details here and there, were the results of pretty much completely depleting my supply of brown bricks - but, as often happens, running out of a certain piece can really make you think about the pieces you have left! pirate_wink.gifpirate_satisfied.gif Rigging, yes! All I have to say is that building is much easier and more fun! pir_laugh2.gifpirate_laugh2.gif

It's actually my first vessel at all since this (over three years ago!) I hope to build some more (smaller ones!) soon though! pirate_satisfied.gif

Good point about the cannons - next time I build a ship this large (not for a while, I assure you!) I'm planning on a privateer with portholes, along with the full interior - that is going to be a challenge! pirate_laugh2.gif As Kai pointed out, it is actually much larger than it looks at first glance due to the extraordinary width (never! - Never try to build a LEGO ship like this that is 20 studs wide, btw! That deck was really terrible to build!), and is about 70 studs long excluding the small rear overhang and the bowsprit pirate_wink.gif (If you look at the minifigs in the first pic especially you'll get a better sense of the size of this thing!) Thanks again for taking the time to comment so thoroughly on this, it is very much appreciated! pirate_satisfied.gif

That's certainly a build to be proud of. You can see the effort that went into it. Well done.

Thanks a lot Kwatchi! pirate_satisfied.gif

Alberto da Pontelli was delighted by the letter, although he was complaining to his wife that this "ET guy" was getting his name wrong all the time.

He quickly started to give errands to Colonel Brickinson.

Fantastic ship, really fine. Custom hull, custom rigging, custom cannons and everything! Just perfect!

(and photography/editing is also top notch)

Brick on! pirate_laugh_new.gif

pirate_laugh_new.gif Thanks Captain B! I noticed after getting it wrong a few times that it was actually a da instead of de, but ended up leaving it the same for consistency's sake! default_laugh2.gifdefault_laugh_new.gif Custom hull, sails, cannon, etc. all the way! pirate_satisfied.gif

Impenetratable hull!! No hurricane and pirate will ever be a thread to her default_laugh_new.gif

Garmadon, this is a super fine vessel default_wubnew.gif

It's the cleanest slope based approach to a hull I've seen so far, and the fact that you not only created a splendid model, but that your ship is also a playable dream for anyone young at heart is what makes her stand out. And the rigging... just wow! That's time well invested!

Great ship! And cool story, too, of course.

May the winds and currents be ever in her favor default_classic.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gif

Thanks a lot KB! I hope to be rigging and doing interiors for all my ships in BoBS, but interiors might be pretty tough on smaller vessels! The slope hull developed as I kept running out of different slopes, but I was pretty pleased with how it turned out too! And thanks again, such praise from the LDD ship master is really something! pirate_satisfied.gif

Thanks a lot Maxim! pirate_wink.gifpirate_satisfied.gif

A very nice ship in itself, the sails, the deck, the cannons - all work out wonderfully well!

The interior details are just the icing on the cake, so many great techniques and just flawless execution.

But that presentation tops it all, exquisitely amazingly executed!

Thank you, Elostirion, I'm very glad you liked it all! pirate_satisfied.gif

I don't know a lot about ships but that rigging is stunning!

The interior looks nice as well. Great job on all the pics, they're beautiful

As a Corrie I have to say I'm happy to hear Mr. Alberto de Pontelli gets the position as major even though Mr. Wilkinson de Chauncourtois doesn't seem to have a lot of faith in science pirate_laugh_new.gif

Magnificent ship. I've never seen a hull built that way and it turned out well, even if the lines are mostly straight. And it's deceptively large as well. The rigging looks great, especially the sectioned masts, and all the other fine details add up to a really good design. Excellent work. :classic:

This is a beautiful ship and the interior is one of the best parts. Very polished and it definitely portrays a trade vessel with the storage in the hull. I am also fond of the brickbuilt cannons. I would love to learn how to make that design. I did find the usage of barrels for a mast unique and ingenious. Keep up the awesome work.

Very impressive ship! The sheer size and brick built hull are stunning, but I love that you included a well detailed interior too thumbup.gif Great rigging and sails work as well pirate_classic.gif

I don't know a lot about ships but that rigging is stunning!

The interior looks nice as well. Great job on all the pics, they're beautiful

As a Corrie I have to say I'm happy to hear Mr. Alberto de Pontelli gets the position as major even though Mr. Wilkinson de Chauncourtois doesn't seem to have a lot of faith in science pirate_laugh_new.gif

Thanks a lot Puvel! pirate_wink.gifpirate_satisfied.gif Ha, ha! Perhaps Mr. Pontelli's recent, erhm, accidents, show why! pirate_laugh2.gifpirate_laugh_new.gif

Magnificent ship. I've never seen a hull built that way and it turned out well, even if the lines are mostly straight. And it's deceptively large as well. The rigging looks great, especially the sectioned masts, and all the other fine details add up to a really good design. Excellent work. :classic:

Thanks Captain Dee! pirate_satisfied.gif I was trying, as far as I could tell, to get the rigging and masts as accurate as possible - and I'm glad to hear that the hull works well! I'm afraid I'll have to come up with something different for smaller ships though, as I kind of doubt that a slope based hull would work too well on something much shorter. We'll see! Thanks again!

This is a beautiful ship and the interior is one of the best parts. Very polished and it definitely portrays a trade vessel with the storage in the hull. I am also fond of the brickbuilt cannons. I would love to learn how to make that design. I did find the usage of barrels for a mast unique and ingenious. Keep up the awesome work.

Thanks, Silent Wolf! Interiors seem to be rather rare in LEGO ships (well, having done one myself now I can kind of see why! pirate_laugh_new.gif), but I'd like to try and do them in all of my ships that it is possible for! About the brickbuilt cannons, next time I use the design I'll try to get a break down picture to share, thanks! pirate_satisfied.gif

Very impressive ship! The sheer size and brick built hull are stunning, but I love that you included a well detailed interior too thumbup.gif Great rigging and sails work as well pirate_classic.gif

Thanks SK! pirate_wink.gif Glad you liked it!